153 replies to this topic

#41 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

I watched quite a bit of minor league action last week, and I was a little worried, but your notes make me feel a little better. I was disappointed in some of more highly thought guys.
Henderson, and Bradish seem to be scuffling some, although I missed Bradish’s last game and I saw he had a pretty decent outing.

Bradish hasn't had the dominant pitching lines over his last few starts like he did through his first 6 starts, but the swing and miss stuff has been there. I've enjoyed watching him battle lineups like Charlotte that are loaded with former major leaguers and guys who have way more experience. Bradish has yet to crack 150 professional innings but he looks fairly comfortable in Triple-A already. 

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:05 AM

Bradish hasn't had the dominant pitching lines over his last few starts like he did through his first 6 starts, but the swing and miss stuff has been there. I've enjoyed watching him battle lineups like Charlotte that are loaded with former major leaguers and guys who have way more experience. Bradish has yet to crack 150 professional innings but he looks fairly comfortable in Triple-A already. 

I like looking at the "vs older players / vs younger players" splits for guys, but this type of breakdown of lineups that are loaded with stronger filler than others is very interesting and valuable.  I wonder what teams do to weigh the level of competition not just for the league in general but for each opponent.  Seems like a very important thing to do to evaluate prospects.

• BobPhelan likes this

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

Yusniel Diaz is 1-30 with a single and three walks in July and he didn't make the list (I explain why) but it is noteworthy.

https://baltimorespo...m-july-12-2021/

• Mike B likes this

#44 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:31 PM

Solidifying his prospect status.

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:40 AM

Good Stuff Bob.  Nice to see Henderson on a roll

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#46 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

Only a minor league article this week with the MLB all-star break!

https://baltimorespo...m-july-19-2021/

#47 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

I kinda gave up on the Schoop trade producing anything long term so seeing Jean Carmona on there is pretty cool

• BobPhelan likes this

she/her

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

Any updates on Hall?

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

Any updates on Hall?

I think he started a throwing progression last week or so, should be back by mid-August.

#50 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:50 PM

Adley Rutschman promotion SZN?

https://baltimorespo...m-july-26-2021/

• BSLChrisStoner and makoman like this

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

I'd be surprised if Rutschman reaches Norfolk before September. I think they're gonna need to make up some plausible excuses for why he won't start 2022 with the Orioles, and if he has nearly half a season at AAA under his belt (minors go all the way through MLB season this year rather than ending in early Sept like usual) it'll be that much harder for them to justify not calling him up until June.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#52 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:10 PM

I'd be surprised if Rutschman reaches Norfolk before September. I think they're gonna need to make up some plausible excuses for why he won't start 2022 with the Orioles, and if he has nearly half a season at AAA under his belt (minors go all the way through MLB season this year rather than ending in early Sept like usual) it'll be that much harder for them to justify not calling him up until June.

I’m sticking with my prediction. There was definitely a vibe at the game yesterday.

#53 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

The CBA expires this winter and the players really seem to hate the service time stuff so it may be different next year anyway. The players aren’t exactly known for fighting for those who aren’t in the majors yet though so who knows.

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:24 PM

The players aren’t exactly known for fighting for those who aren’t in the majors yet though so who knows.

I think this is a key point, and why there won't be a significant player-friendly shift in the service time system.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:30 PM

Talking to Bob last night I speculated that he could see time in Baltimore this Sept. The PR would be good, fans will tune in for awhile, he keeps his prospect status and the CBA could change things this offseason. If they need to keep him down in AAA to gain the extra year they're going to do it regardless of if he plays 15-20 major league games this Sept.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:44 PM

Talking to Bob last night I speculated that he could see time in Baltimore this Sept. The PR would be good, fans will tune in for awhile, he keeps his prospect status and the CBA could change things this offseason. If they need to keep him down in AAA to gain the extra year they're going to do it regardless of if he plays 15-20 major league games this Sept.

I think they'd have a tough time justifying sending him down to begin 2022. They don't really need to from a CBA standpoint, but it'd be so clear obvious that it's just service time manipulation.

To your side though, they do get some freebie days. He'd have to be down 20 days in 2022 or else he gets credit for a full year. So he'd come up after 20ish days and have 160 or so more days left in the season. He can have 0.171 days before counting as a full year. So you could have him up here for a week to ten days and then send him down for the exact same amount of time in 2022 as you would if he had no time up here.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:45 PM

Actually that 20 day thing might not apply because he isn't yet on the 40 man.

#58 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:24 AM

Less than two months remain in the minor league season

https://baltimorespo...-august-2-2021/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

Good stuff Bob.  It is nice to see Westburg doing well.  I have been watching a good bit of minor league baseball and I have been a little bit disappointed in some of the guys we were excited about back in May.  

As for Sedlock, Peralta, and Knight, the time seems like now for them.

I wonder if we see any or all of them before the end of the year.

FWIW, it seems like anytime I see Peralta pitch, he is getting pounded.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:50 AM

Good stuff Bob. It is nice to see Westburg doing well. I have been watching a good bit of minor league baseball and I have been a little bit disappointed in some of the guys we were excited about back in May.

As for Sedlock, Peralta, and Knight, the time seems like now for them.
I wonder if we see any or all of them before the end of the year.
FWIW, it seems like anytime I see Peralta pitch, he is getting pounded.

Been saying it for years but I really think Peralta’s stuff will play up nicely in short stints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=