2021 Ravens General Talk

• Please log in to reply
2525 replies to this topic

#201 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:08 PM

Scheme definitely needs work, but the receivers need to catch the ball.

https://www.si.com/n...ens-drops021421

I am no expert on specifically what kind of WR the Ravens need, but to me the most important thing to look for is "catch the ball." Everything else is just details. If the ball hits the hands it can't hit the ground.

• cprenegade likes this

#202 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

I am no expert on specifically what kind of WR the Ravens need, but to me the most important thing to look for is "catch the ball." Everything else is just details. If the ball hits the hands it can't hit the ground.

I think that's James Proche. Need a bit more than that.

It's hard to find consistent drops stats, different sites are all over the place, but Hollywood was definitely worse this year. I'm hoping he just went through a slump, he seemed to have really good hands his first year. I hope Dobbins spends some time with a Jugs gun.

• PrimeTime likes this

#203 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

Ravens to propose “spot and choose” overtime rule.

https://profootballt...time-procedure/

Sounds a little ridiculous. Keep it simple. Keep it the way it is.
@BSLMikeRandall

#204 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:45 PM

Sounds quite a bit "gimmicky".  Something Arena football would do.  

• Mike in STL likes this

#205 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:45 PM

I really don't understand why they can't just go to College OT rules.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#206 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:31 AM

I really don't understand why they can't just go to College OT rules.

I think those rules are dumb too, tbh. NFL has it right, right now. Allow a TD, you lose. Less than that, you get your chance.

I think the Ravens proposal stems purely from analytics. They have probably already figured out the exact yard line they can have the best probability of scoring a TD from, while also the best probability of keeping the opponent out of the end zone from, if given the choice of where to spot the ball.

Games are long enough. Refs already talk too much, explaining how a coin toss works. Announcing every false start. explain the rules of the game like it’s everyone’s first time playing. Explaining this every OT would take 10 minutes.
  • ivanbalt likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#207 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

I think those rules are dumb too, tbh. NFL has it right, right now. Allow a TD, you lose. Less than that, you get your chance.

I think the Ravens proposal stems purely from analytics. They have probably already figured out the exact yard line they can have the best probability of scoring a TD from, while also the best probability of keeping the opponent out of the end zone from, if given the choice of where to spot the ball.

Games are long enough. Refs already talk too much, explaining how a coin toss works. Announcing every false start. explain the rules of the game like it’s everyone’s first time playing. Explaining this every OT would take 10 minutes.

I agree and disagree. College rules need some tweaks. But at the same time, College also has some of the most exciting OT games.

#208 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

I agree and disagree. College rules need some tweaks. But at the same time, College also has some of the most exciting OT games.

I kinda get why college does it. Kickers a generally worse so starting that close to the end zone isn’t an auto score like the NFL would be. But defenses are generally worse so TDs can come easily. College rules definitely need some tweaks. Games are sometimes 4 hours before OT. Then you have the potential to go 3,4,7 OTs which amount to way more than 10-15 minutes of game clock time if there was a running clock.
@BSLMikeRandall

#209 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:56 AM

The current OT rules are not complained about until the playoffs come.

#210 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:40 AM

I actually like the 7 and a half minute idea for OT.  If it is still tied then.  Let it be tied.

@mikeghg

#211 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

I hate games ending in tie but that's just me.

Maybe the league should go NHL style and a have a field goal "shootout" if the game is tied at the conclusion of OT. We'd be in the catbird seat with #9 back there.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#212 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

How so? I remember in the Brady/Mahomes AFC title game people wanted both QBs to get their shot in OT, for entertainment purposes I guess. Were there other examples? The defense has to do their job, it’s a team game, that’s how it goes. Seems fair to me.

I know a big reason for wanted change is teams want to take the coin flip out of the equation. I might have a reasonable solution for that, that also shortens the game. When regulation ends, the team with the ball starts at their own 30, or further back if they possess it there, but not forward of the 30. 10 minute OT clock starts on the next snap. No coin flip, no break. This way there is still the same emphasis to try to win before regulation ends. You don’t want to be in scoring range and the clock hit zero and you have to go back to the 30. Same rules apply as now. Just it’s a matter of possession, game script to that point, and not a coin flip. If a score at the buzzer leads to overtime, the scoring team kicks off as usual, and OT begins.

Or, the home team gets to pick offense or defense or which side to defend. Baseball has a home team advantage to be able to walk it off, give NFL home teams that option instead of a coin flip.
@BSLMikeRandall

#213 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

I actually like the 7 and a half minute idea for OT. If it is still tied then. Let it be tied.

There are drives that last longer than that. That seems too short. 10 minutes, at least the other team may have a chance.
@BSLMikeRandall

#214 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

There are drives that last longer than that. That seems too short. 10 minutes, at least the other team may have a chance.

That is a good point.  I think most of the rule changes will get passed by, but it is interesting to think about it.

The other one that caught my eye is making roughing the passer rule challengeable.  That will get the same results that the pass interference challenge.  The over rules will be minimal.

@mikeghg

#215 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:29 PM

Screw the clock. Same rules, no clock. Play til there's a score and a result.

#216 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

Screw the clock. Same rules, no clock. Play til there's a score and a result.

Never going to happen.  The NFL is all about safety, at least after they have drained every nickel out of everywhere.

@mikeghg

#217 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:00 PM

Soccer rules. The game ends when the ref says so.

“Ravens down by 3, 4th quarter winding down, a first down here gets them into FG range...oops, never mind, the ref says that’s it, game over.”
@BSLMikeRandall

#218 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:10 PM

Soccer rules. The game ends when the ref says so.

“Ravens down by 3, 4th quarter winding down, a first down here gets them into FG range...oops, never mind, the ref says that’s it, game over.”

And Raven Stadium would take it very calmly. :oops:

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#219 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

I prefer the old rules. Coin flip of who wins possession, and sudden death. 

#220 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:35 PM

Never going to happen. The NFL is all about safety, at least after they have drained every nickel out of everywhere.

Ehh, the game is the game. Screw ties. If the NFL really cared about safety, it wouldn't exist.
  • Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=