2525 replies to this topic

#181 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:53 PM

I dont care about WR at this point. The WR corp was nothing in '19 and we were even better offensively than in '20. Get another Hurst type guy and just draft the WRs or go to the 2nd or 3rd tier FA WRs like Snead was for us. Boykin progressed in '20 and hes a big willing blocker. Snead was a willing blocker and a good slot guy who knew how to find holes in zone. His skill set is not that hard to find. This obsession with WR in Baltimore is way too far but especially so in this offense.

#182 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

They have the WR's. Its the passing scheme that needs to be upgraded. Too many players in one spot on a pattern.

• Mike in STL likes this

#183 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:01 AM

Do guys have a diva personality before choosing to be a WR, or does the position make you a diva? 

I guess they think if they don't have the opportunity to put up gaudy numbers they are not going to maximize their value when FA comes. But this will be answered when Corey Davis signs a new contract because he doesn't have a 1,000 yard season to his credit yet, plays in a run first offense, and is obviously one of the best receivers in the game if you look at the total body of work, and not the back of his trading card. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#184 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

I absolutely agree that the Ravens should not change their offense to be more "pass happy" to satisfy a few WRs or even some fans.  That would be stupid.  The Ravens should do what they do best, run the ball.  Jackson does things from the QB position that other teams have to prepare for unlike what they usually need to focus on.  He is very dynamic using his elusiveness and running ability.  He is much less dynamic throwing the ball downfield, with the weapons, or lack thereof, that he has.  With the addition of JK Dobbins, there is no reason to believe that the Ravens will not lead the league in rushing for then next several years.  Why change that?

With that said, I do not believe they can get to a SB without at least upgrading their ability to throw the football.  They don't have to throw for 5,000 yards, but they have to at least show that, if needed, their passing game can be a threat that needs to be acknowledged.  Otherwise, come playoff time they are going to run into a team that is going to do what Buffalo did and sell out on the run.  It's very tough to get to a SB being as unbalanced as the Raven's are.  They at least have to get teams to respect their passing game enough to not just ignore it and sell out on the run.  

#185 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

I absolutely agree that the Ravens should not change their offense to be more "pass happy" to satisfy a few WRs or even some fans. That would be stupid. The Ravens should do what they do best, run the ball. Jackson does things from the QB position that other teams have to prepare for unlike what they usually need to focus on. He is very dynamic using his elusiveness and running ability. He is much less dynamic throwing the ball downfield, with the weapons, or lack thereof, that he has. With the addition of JK Dobbins, there is no reason to believe that the Ravens will not lead the league in rushing for then next several years. Why change that?

With that said, I do not believe they can get to a SB without at least upgrading their ability to throw the football. They don't have to throw for 5,000 yards, but they have to at least show that, if needed, their passing game can be a threat that needs to be acknowledged. Otherwise, come playoff time they are going to run into a team that is going to do what Buffalo did and sell out on the run. It's very tough to get to a SB being as unbalanced as the Raven's are. They at least have to get teams to respect their passing game enough to not just ignore it and sell out on the run.

Pretty much my thoughts. Ravens absolutely should keep on doing what they're doing. It very clearly works. However, they need to do a complete overhaul on the design of the passing game. Seeing 2 or more receivers running to the same spot is getting really old. Roman very clearly doesn't understand how to create space for his receivers.

Brown can outrun almost anyone on a crosser, but if you have Andrews and Boykin run hitch or slants right where he has to run through, you're completely killing his YAC ability. Or he'll run Brown on a 9 route, but have Andrews run a fade to the same area. Teams that run zone on us kill us because they can cover multiple guys with one person. The fact that Roman hasn't figured that out is scary.

#186 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:33 PM

CBS Sports: NFL free agency 2021: Ravens not expected to pursue No. 1 wide receiver, per report

https://www.cbssport...ver-per-report/

#187 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

I believe Golladay & Robinson will both be tagged. Then Davis goes to the highest bidder. I saw a reporter on NFL Network bring up Marvin Jones who would be a good pick up. But the Ravens will have more interest in spending on an O line player then find another WR as a cut. They want those comp picks. Just don't want AJ Green.

#188 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

I believe Golladay & Robinson will both be tagged. Then Davis goes to the highest bidder. I saw a reporter on NFL Network bring up Marvin Jones who would be a good pick up. But the Ravens will have more interest in spending on an O line player then find another WR as a cut. They want those comp picks. Just don't want AJ Green.

Unfortunately AJ Green might be it. I don't think it would be a terrible move. Hes big and catches damn near everything. Just doesn't have the game breaking speed he used to have.

If Robinson, Godwin and Golladay get tagged, I think you see Juju ans Fuller get a stupid-money type offer from someone desperate, like the Jets. All you'll have left are TY Hilton, Green and Marvin Jones type WR's. I really am starting to feel like we'll be stuck with the Marquise Brown, Boykin and Duvernay show for another season.

Orlando Brown trade could be a game changer though. If you can get an earlier first for him, you may have a shot at a WR early too.

#189 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:50 PM

Still hoping for Corey Davis.

#190 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:14 PM

Still hoping for Corey Davis.

I love his skillset. He may get an offer out of our ball park as well.

Just saw the Vikings cut Kyle Rudolph. Could be a sneaky, cheap pick up. Can block and catch well. Wouldn't stretch the field or create many big plays. But he's a good blocker who can get open and make tough catches. Especially in the redzone.

#191 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:10 AM

CBS Sports: Vikings release veteran tight end Kyle Rudolph, ending decade-long run in Minnesota
https://www.cbssport...n-in-minnesota/

#192 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

I expect the Ravens to do most of their shopping in the mid tier ranges. Older vets in numerous spots. If they splash a bit I think it'll be interior OL.
  • Mike B likes this

#193 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:31 AM

I expect the Ravens to do most of their shopping in the mid tier ranges. Older vets in numerous spots. If they splash a bit I think it'll be interior OL.

I agree.  Be patient Ravens, and bring in the bargains that are sure to be there in this free agency session.  

I would rather bring in 4 or 5 good players than 1 star and 3 or 4 fillers.

@mikeghg

#194 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:33 AM

CBS Sports: Vikings release veteran tight end Kyle Rudolph, ending decade-long run in Minnesota
https://www.cbssport...n-in-minnesota/

Rudolph if the price is right seems like a good fit for the Ravens.

@mikeghg

#195 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

But that may depend on what Mrs Hensley thinks .     :???:

I went to Middle and High School with Mrs. Hensley

#196 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:08 PM

Rudolph if the price is right seems like a good fit for the Ravens.

Cap casualty and not UFA? Check....

Veteran with maybe enough left in the tank for 1 more productive season? Check....

He's a Raven type of signing for sure.

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#197 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:12 PM

Cap casualty and not UFA? Check....

Veteran with maybe enough left in the tank for 1 more productive season? Check....

He's a Raven type of signing for sure.

I was surprised to see he was just 31.  I am pretty sure he is on their radar.

@mikeghg

#198 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 05:29 PM

It's so peculiar to me to see the ability to sign cut veterans already before upcoming FAs are allowed to sign. That plus the comp pick part, there is a huge advantage to being cut vs being your run of the mill FA. Particularly this year...

Looks like Williams went to the Lions for $6.2 mill, so that's another WR that's gone. 

#199 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:44 AM

They have the WR's. Its the passing scheme that needs to be upgraded. Too many players in one spot on a pattern.

Scheme definitely needs work, but the receivers need to catch the ball.

Quarterback Lamar Jackson needs to get more support from his teammates. Last season, 7.5% of Jackson's passes were dropped, the most in the league, according to QB Data Line.

https://www.si.com/n...ens-drops021421

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#200 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

Scheme definitely needs work, but the receivers need to catch the ball.

https://www.si.com/n...ens-drops021421

There were several drops in the Buffalo playoff game that could have changed the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=