#221 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:47 PM

Ehh, the game is the game. Screw ties. If the NFL really cared about safety, it wouldn't exist.

I was kidding.  Frankly, I don't like the idea of ties.  It kind of makes sitting out there for 4 hours and not getting a result a disappointment.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#222 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:54 PM

Never going to happen. The NFL is all about safety, at least after they have drained every nickel out of everywhere.

They care about safety in the sense they don’t want to be sued for $600M dollars again. That’s about it.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#223 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

I was fine with the old overtime rules. Worked great for decades. One playoff game where "Peyton Manning didn't get a chance to touch the ball" and all the ridiculous "overly dramatic hot take" goofiness that followed basically changed it. But the Ravens idea for OT is even dumber in my opinion. Hopefully it's laughed away...

On the flip side, the Ravens apparently also pitched adding a booth official to rule on all replays. That's exactly what's needed next for replay. Said it a million times, but the booth ump (or a committee of three) can usually know what the right call should be before the onfield ref has even picked up the challenge flag. And you take the onus OFF the head referee to overrule his crew mates...

Ideally that happens, and also expands to allow the booth official to stop play and call down / fix egregious mistakes without a head coach being forced to do it himself...
  • Mike in STL likes this

#224 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:54 PM

I was fine with the old overtime rules. Worked great for decades. One playoff game where "Peyton Manning didn't get a chance to touch the ball" and all the ridiculous "overly dramatic hot take" goofiness that followed basically changed it. But the Ravens idea for OT is even dumber in my opinion. Hopefully it's laughed away...

On the flip side, the Ravens apparently also pitched adding a booth official to rule on all replays. That's exactly what's needed next for replay. Said it a million times, but the booth ump (or a committee of three) can usually know what the right call should be before the onfield ref has even picked up the challenge flag. And you take the onus OFF the head referee to overrule his crew mates...

Ideally that happens, and also expands to allow the booth official to stop play and call down / fix egregious mistakes without a head coach being forced to do it himself...

Agreed. It seems much more streamlined in soccer with VAR. easily half the time, if not more than half.

In fact, the NFL reviews scoring plays and sometimes they have to hold up the point after attempt just to make sure. When the call is right, it takes only a few seconds, no big announcement, no challenge flags. The same process should just as easily be applied to feet down in bounds, catch or not, etc... You really can tell often on first or second angle on TV. It shouldn’t involve all the procedural BS that makes the game momentum grind to a halt.

I don’t know why the same technology that can tell you exactly on what side of the line a tennis ball served at 120mph on, bounces, within 2 seconds. But they can’t apply that to where a toe, a foot touches, at far less speed.
@BSLMikeRandall

#225 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:02 PM

Agreed. It seems much more streamlined in soccer with VAR. easily half the time, if not more than half.

In fact, the NFL reviews scoring plays and sometimes they have to hold up the point after attempt just to make sure. When the call is right, it takes only a few seconds, no big announcement, no challenge flags. The same process should just as easily be applied to feet down in bounds, catch or not, etc... You really can tell often on first or second angle on TV. It shouldn’t involve all the procedural BS that makes the game momentum grind to a halt.

I don’t know why the same technology that can tell you exactly on what side of the line a tennis ball served at 120mph on, bounces, within 2 seconds. But they can’t apply that to where a toe, a foot touches, at far less speed.

Yeah, the process of the referee going to the replay screen is goofy. The ref doesn't control the replay, he's asking for angles and loops, etc. It's just such a stupid setup. An official upstairs that has commanding knowledge of how to use all the replay angles, can step frame by frame when needed, etc. can make the calls faster and with more accuracy. And that person doesn't have to worry about the fall out of overturning another crew member's original call.

They also need to find a way to make sure there are cameras that are perfectly in line with the goal line, the sidelines, the end lines, etc. Even the first down marker. The concept of parallax is real. :) Drives me crazy when a broadcast team tries to definitively say the ball was short of or past the line of gain / goal line, when you can tell the camera angle is off and it's impossible to know for sure because of that.

#226 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

Soccer rules. The game ends when the ref says so.

“Ravens down by 3, 4th quarter winding down, a first down here gets them into FG range...oops, never mind, the ref says that’s it, game over.”

You do know the ref in soccer is going by a time allowance. There is a clock involved.

• Mike in STL likes this

#227 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:19 AM

How so? I remember in the Brady/Mahomes AFC title game people wanted both QBs to get their shot in OT, for entertainment purposes I guess. Were there other examples? The defense has to do their job, it’s a team game, that’s how it goes. Seems fair to me.

I know a big reason for wanted change is teams want to take the coin flip out of the equation. I might have a reasonable solution for that, that also shortens the game. When regulation ends, the team with the ball starts at their own 30, or further back if they possess it there, but not forward of the 30. 10 minute OT clock starts on the next snap. No coin flip, no break. This way there is still the same emphasis to try to win before regulation ends. You don’t want to be in scoring range and the clock hit zero and you have to go back to the 30. Same rules apply as now. Just it’s a matter of possession, game script to that point, and not a coin flip. If a score at the buzzer leads to overtime, the scoring team kicks off as usual, and OT begins.

Or, the home team gets to pick offense or defense or which side to defend. Baseball has a home team advantage to be able to walk it off, give NFL home teams that option instead of a coin flip.

That was my point and you brought up the game in question. During the regular season when it happens there is not much talk of the other team getting a chance. Its during the playoffs when the shouting starts. Its still up to the defense to do its job.

#228 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:11 AM

You do know the ref in soccer is going by a time allowance. There is a clock involved.

I believe it's "injury time". It's a continuous clock, so the ref times stoppages in play due to injuries or penalties, and after 90 mins that time is added to the end of the game. Or at least that's how I always understood it.

#229 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

I believe it's "injury time". It's a continuous clock, so the ref times stoppages in play due to injuries or penalties, and after 90 mins that time is added to the end of the game. Or at least that's how I always understood it.

Its still a set 90 min game with the extra time added on. The difference is the referee knows when it ends. There is a clock showing time that counts up not down.

#230 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:57 AM

I know. I was being sarcastic. The time changes game to game, and doesn't always stop on the minute. If 4 minutes of stoppage time are awarded they could end the game at 94:00, at 93:52, at 94:40. Plus in my recent interest in the game I read that one of the home field advantages is the home scorekeeper who assigns extra time could allot an amount that helps the home team. Apparently Man U back in the day was notorious for extra long stoppage times at home when trailing or tied, and they usually capitalized. 

So sarcastically, in the NFL, a defense could be told they have 2 minutes to keep the opponent from scoring a winning score, but when two minutes is up, maybe they'll play 10 more seconds, 20 more seconds, 50 more seconds? Referee's discretion. Sound like a nightmare.

• sandiegosean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#231 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:01 AM

Franchise tags to be applied by Tuesday. 

So far Justin Simmons, S, DEN is the only one assigned.

Carolina expected to tag RT Taylor Moton. 

Some names on Ravens fans FA wish list could be redacted in the next 48 hours. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#232 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:23 PM

Some names on Ravens fans FA wish list could be redacted in the next 48 hours.

I have a feeling the WR list is going to take the biggest hit.

#233 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:18 AM

If teams are going to tag they better start making room on their cap. The Lions & Bears for two. Bucs have space but not enough for Godwin.

#234 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:52 PM

Marcus Maye, S, NYJ.

Since there is no salary cap amount set in place, the 4pm Tuesday deadline will likely be extended. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#235 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:58 AM

Marcus Maye, S, NYJ.

Since there is no salary cap amount set in place, the 4pm Tuesday deadline will likely be extended. 

Maybe that's why some teams with players to possibly tag haven't made any moves to improve their cap.

• Mike in STL likes this

#236 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

Chris Godwin reportedly getting tagged by TB, seemed likely all along.

Jacksonville interested in franchising tackle Cam Robinson, Vinny mentioned on the radio. Robinson had awful PFF measurables regarding pressures allowed. So that makes sense that Jacksonville would want to lock in that guy to protect Trevor Lawrence?? JAX also the rumored trade target for Orlando Brown. This move doesn’t keep that from happening, but lowers the possibility.
@BSLMikeRandall

#237 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

Also Giants DT Leonard Willams, tagged. Doesn’t effect the Ravens the slightest.
@BSLMikeRandall

#238 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:41 PM

The Athletic reporting that the Lions won’t Franchise tag Kenny Golladay. If the Ravens don’t find the money, hope he stays in the NFC.
@BSLMikeRandall

#239 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

The Athletic reporting that the Lions won’t Franchise tag Kenny Golladay. If the Ravens don’t find the money, hope he stays in the NFC.

He will get paid by someone.  I don't think it will be the Ravens.

@mikeghg

#240 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

Allen Robinson to be tagged by Chicago.

Doesn’t sound like there will be an extension on the 4pm deadline, even without a cap in place. NFL network saying that it will be around about $182M-$185M is the amount being negotiated on.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=