435 replies to this topic

#281 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

Great news and it has to feel like a weight has been lifted off the kid.

Let’s see if he stays healthy, builds himself back up and maybe the baseball takes care of itself.

I'm not going to get my hopes up until he's actually playing the game again. He's been through this before, and his heart began to act up again after too much physical activity. I'm certainly not hoping for that to happen, but it's hard to feel confident until I see it actually happening.

#282 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

At this point, just seeing him in actual games would feel like an accomplishment for that draft pick.

#283 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:35 PM

Posted a video on Instagram of him hitting batting practice.
  • Greg Pappas, Nigel Tufnel, Mike in STL and 1 other like this

#284 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:57 PM

Good. Get him some ABs in the AFL.

#285 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:59 PM

Good. Get him some ABs in the AFL.

Aint happening. Probably shouldnt either. Let him gear up for '22.

#286 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:48 AM

Aint happening. Probably shouldnt either. Let him gear up for '22.

Might be exactly what he needs to really hit '22 running though. He's behind a bit, and AZ doesn't have to be full speed. A lot of guys there are developmentally working on stuff. Would be a happy medium, almost like extended ST, and if he adjusts well to the pitching there, makes his placement for next year easier. Probably looking at either Aberdeen or Bowie right now, ideally we'd like Bowie, but don't think he goes there without some kind of AB first, AZ MIGHT give him enough of a look that they skip A ball, or at least put him on that fast track where he's not in A long and then hits Bowie well before mid season. That's back on track for him.

In the end we are talking about maybe saving 1/2 a season, and if he doesn't excel he shouldn't move anyway, so could end up being a moot point. I'd just love to see a little bit of separation between him and Cowser personally, or it's going to get real crowded real fast. Don't want to see fruit dying on the vine so to speak...and unless they are going to trade a high level guy for a high level 3B, I don't know that it'll help us a ton.

@JeremyMStrain

#287 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

I really doubt he starts at Bowie given his lack of playing time, even if he gets some AFL ABs. The team seems to be pretty conservative with where guys start, but is willing to be aggressive with moving them quickly if warranted. Westburg and Stowers both seemed to start a level too low, but that's probably ok if they're going to have them at 3 levels in one year. Now 2021 may be different than any other year given the lack of 2020 minors, but Kjerstad is kinda in the same boat again to start 2022. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the Stowers route, start at A+ and hope he can produce enough to get to AAA. But slow playing makes some sense given the time off.

#288 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

I really doubt he starts at Bowie given his lack of playing time, even if he gets some AFL ABs. The team seems to be pretty conservative with where guys start, but is willing to be aggressive with moving them quickly if warranted. Westburg and Stowers both seemed to start a level too low, but that's probably ok if they're going to have them at 3 levels in one year. Now 2021 may be different than any other year given the lack of 2020 minors, but Kjerstad is kinda in the same boat again to start 2022. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the Stowers route, start at A+ and hope he can produce enough to get to AAA. But slow playing makes some sense given the time off.

College guys usually start in low A, but the more advanced ones will often start in high A. HK is def in that group, but one can argue CC was too. They are very similar. You can see by the stats that CC could have gone straight to A+, and I'm pretty sure that's where he starts next year. The only reason I'd want to be a little aggressive with HK is cause I don't want both of them in the same OF and developing at the same pace. Having both of them coming up and ready, with OF already our strong suit is eventually going to stunt someone's development. I think you lower that risk if you can stagger them by a level, and with HK being older, makes sense to be him. But your points about a weird 2020 and the time off are very valid, so I don't know how things shake out. You could absolutely be totally right. I'm just worried about a logjam we are creating. I mean you've got Mullins/Hays already up. I'm assuming Mounty moves to 1B/DH, and then you've still got Trey. Dropping Stewy from convo, and treating McKenna as a 4th/OF PT guy. THEN you've got a whole nother wave with Neustrom, Watson, Stowers, and Rizer (and that's if you are writing off Diaz), AND you've got Cespedes and Haskin in high A in the OF already. We already seriously have to figure out what to do with guys, or we have a WHOLE lot of trade bait that's going to lose value because people know they are blocked.

@JeremyMStrain

#289 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:37 AM

I think they will be very careful with Kjerstad.  Hopefully he is able to spend the off season working a specific work out schedule.so he can build his strength back.  

@mikeghg

#290 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

Its ok to slow play him. With everything thats happened the last few years if he doesnt make it to Baltimore til hes 25 thats no problem

#291 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

It had to feel great for HK just to get back in the cage.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#292 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

IF the medical staff think its fine then I would absolutely have him in AFL. To me its their call. If he's good to go then probably smart to give him the extra time. If they say he's not 100% then fine wait till ST.

#293 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

I think he starts next year in Delmarva and ends in Bowie. That still makes it possible for him to make his major league debut sometime in 2023.

#294 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2021 - 02:59 PM

Here is good news or at least it is good to hear directly from HK.

https://www.masnspor...self-again.html

It sounds like he is healthy again and has gotten through the Sarasota camp pretty easily.

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#295 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 03:11 PM

I think he starts next year in Delmarva and ends in Bowie. That still makes it possible for him to make his major league debut sometime in 2023.

Ideally he is performing well enough for them to be aggressive.

#296 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 09:11 AM

MASN: Catching up with Heston Kjerstad

https://www.masnspor...n-kjerstad.html

#297 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 10:53 AM

MASN: Kjerstad happy to be playing again as Orioles camp set to expand

#298 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 March 2022 - 01:46 PM

MASN: Kjerstad happy to be playing again as Orioles camp set to expand

I don't think there will be a player this year,that I root for more than Heston Kjerstad.  

@mikeghg

#299 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 01:53 PM

I don't think there will be a player this year,that I root for more than Heston Kjerstad.  

I think he'll make all O's fans proud

• Mike B likes this

#300 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:08 PM

I think he'll make all O's fans proud

Me too.  The kid seems genuine.  His interviews are really good.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=