#10181 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

Welp, just got back from dropping my kids off at school.  Wasn't an easy decision to make, but we decided to give hybrid a go.  The excitement on my kids faces this morning was great to see.

• glenn__davis and BobPhelan like this

#10182 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,619 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:49 AM

Welp, just got back from dropping my kids off at school. Wasn't an easy decision to make, but we decided to give hybrid a go. The excitement on my kids faces this morning was great to see.

Same for us. It felt weird but the kids were so excited, happy for them as long as it lasts. We told our oldest to give us an honest account of how safe she thinks they’re being.
  • DuffMan likes this

#10183 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:53 AM

Welp, just got back from dropping my kids off at school.  Wasn't an easy decision to make, but we decided to give hybrid a go.  The excitement on my kids faces this morning was great to see.

My problem, at least with the two school systems that my grandkids are in.

Their version of hybrid. You come to school, and you work online at your desk.

Not too much different than staying home and going online.

At least for now, while we let the numbers trend down, and we get people vaccinated.

#10184 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:10 AM

At least for now, while we let the numbers trend down, and we get people vaccinated.

I think that's what every hybrid school system is doing.  You'd need twice as many teachers to do anything else.

Going back is not at all about improving their education compared to remote learning.  It's entirely about any social benefits for kids to be back together and the larger part is simply to get them out of the house.

• Old Man likes this

#10185 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

I think that's what every hybrid school system is doing.  You'd need twice as many teachers to do anything else.

Going back is not at all about improving their education compared to remote learning.  It's entirely about any social benefits for kids to be back together and the larger part is simply to get them out of the house.

That's not what Carroll County is doing at least.  I mean it's the same instruction, but the kids in the classroom aren't sitting on their computers.  The teachers are teaching both at once.

And I disagree strongly on the 2nd statement, while the social benefits certainly are large, there is no question IMO that the majority of kids will learn much more successfully in person as opposed to doing the online thing.  I give teachers and leaders a world of credit for attempting the online thing, but I've been home a few times with my kids during this and goodness, it was brutal.

• russsnyder likes this

#10186 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

I think that's what every hybrid school system is doing. You'd need twice as many teachers to do anything else.

Going back is not at all about improving their education compared to remote learning. It's entirely about any social benefits for kids to be back together and the larger part is simply to get them out of the house.

The social benefits are not nearly as great as typical school though if in person is done with safety in mind. Kids are isolated into their pods, distanced from others, wearing masks, and largely still learning and interacting in the same way they would be at home.

#10187 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:37 AM

I'll double check on my older two but the Kindergartner will primarily not be using the chrome book at school.  The kids will be able to see all the virtual kids displayed on the big whiteboard at the front of the room.    They will be using them for their cultural arts classes as those teachers remain virtual.

• Old Man likes this

#10188 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:39 AM

The social benefits are not nearly as great as typical school though if in person is done with safety in mind. Kids are isolated into their pods, distanced from others, wearing masks, and largely still learning and interacting in the same way they would be at home.

I mean of course it's not the same as typical school, anyone expecting that is kidding themselves. 

#10189 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

I mean of course it's not the same as typical school, anyone expecting that is kidding themselves.

Well in some places it's closer to normal school than others.

In the places that are prioritizing safety more so, I do think a lot of people are kidding themselves as you put it.

#10190 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

I just wish we actually cared and did a better job getting teachers vaccinated. 

I can tell you, my future wife is a teacher, runs the english department at her middle school. In addition to a teacher, she's a social worker, a psychologist, a babysitter - all the things society expects her to be. And she misses her students dearly. And she's vastly underpaid. And on top of that, parents all over the internet are calling her selfish, a wussy, accusing her of not caring about her students, etc. 

I think just as parents have a choice, so should teachers. They didn't sign up for this. And while the reporting on teachers has been woefully lacking, it's confirmed that at least 500 teachers have died (most likely at least 2-3 X's that amount). Anyone OK with that has a severe lack of understanding of how important these souls are to our society.

Get them vaccinated. 

• DuffMan and Bmore Irish like this

#10191 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

Same for us. It felt weird but the kids were so excited, happy for them as long as it lasts. We told our oldest to give us an honest account of how safe she thinks they’re being.

My youngest was standing in the hall with his jacket and bookbag on at 830 and we weren't even leaving the house for another 30 minutes!

One thing we are doing different for the remainder of the school year is transportation.  My kids have primarily rode the bus, but with me working from home I opted to just drive them (some walking later this spring once the weather improves)

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#10192 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

My youngest was standing in the hall with his jacket and bookbag on at 830 and we weren't even leaving the house for another 30 minutes!

One thing we are doing different for the remainder of the school year is transportation.  My kids have primarily rode the bus, but with me working from home I opted to just drive them (some walking later this spring once the weather improves)

Great call on the driving thing. The bus part is one of the things that worries me most about this. I think in MoCo, they said at least 3 windows would be down in the bus, I guess that really would help a lot - but I worry more about the highly unsupervised, at times chaotic nature of bus rides. Hope it all works out for you guys, like you said - a tough decision, but it's gotta be great to see your child so enthusiastic to go.

• DuffMan likes this

#10193 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

I'll double check on my older two but the Kindergartner will primarily not be using the chrome book at school.  The kids will be able to see all the virtual kids displayed on the big whiteboard at the front of the room.    They will be using them for their cultural arts classes as those teachers remain virtual.

From what I am hearing in PG, even the kindergartner will stay on their school provided chromebook, and have a form broad on 3 sides of their desk and receive instructions via their google school sessions.

#10194 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

I can tell you, my future wife is a teacher, runs the english department at her middle school. In addition to a teacher, she's a social worker, a psychologist, a babysitter - all the things society expects her to be. And she's vastly underpaid. And on top of that, parents all over the internet are calling her selfish, a wussy, accusing her of not caring about her students, etc. 

I think just as parents have a choice, so should teachers. They didn't sign up for this. And while the reporting on teachers has been woefully lacking, it's confirmed that at least 500 teachers have died (most likely at least 2-3 X's that amount). Anyone OK with that has a severe lack of understanding of how important these souls are to our society.

Get them vaccinated. 

everybody is under vaccinated, we cant even get all the first responders vaccinated. 

500 teacher deaths is too many, but what is source of that confirmed information. Considering the news these days.

#10195 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:24 PM

I can tell you, my future wife is a teacher, runs the english department at her middle school. In addition to a teacher, she's a social worker, a psychologist, a babysitter - all the things society expects her to be. And she misses her students dearly. And she's vastly underpaid. And on top of that, parents all over the internet are calling her selfish, a wussy, accusing her of not caring about her students, etc. 

Get them vaccinated. 

I definitely wish they had all gotten their shot before returning.  As of last week about 1/2 of the AACPS teachers that wanted the vaccine had gotten it.

Hopefully with the J&J vaccine getting the greenlight we can really start getting shots to everyone that needs them.

#10196 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

everybody is under vaccinated, we cant even get all the first responders vaccinated. 

We can, we just don't care enough to do so. 

#10197 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

Getting my first shot Thursday.  It was hard as hell to get an appointment.  It should not be this hard.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this
@mikeghg

#10198 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:29 PM

I definitely wish they had all gotten their shot before returning.  As of last week about 1/2 of the AACPS teachers that wanted the vaccine had gotten it.

Hopefully with the J&J vaccine getting the greenlight we can really start getting shots to everyone that needs them.

Wow - AACPS has done a remarkably better job than MCPS - that's great to hear. 

I do think the JJ and the past several weeks of working through some of the hurdles means the logjam is about to be unclogged a bit. 

Mandy and I were both able to score appointments at the M&T site, her's on the 11th and mine on the 14th. So things are definitely getting better. Which means I won't EVER have to talk about this school madness again. I'm beyond exhausted man. This just sucks. And I see both sides of it very clearly, and it just sucks. 

• Mike B and DuffMan like this

#10199 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:30 PM

Getting my first shot Thursday.  It was hard as hell to get an appointment.  It should not be this hard.

Agreed completely - glad to hear you're getting yours. Good luck my friend.

#10200 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

Just finally scored a vaccine appointment at M&T Bank Stadium for 3/14. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out.

How'd you score one?  Are you in group 1C?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=