10146 replies to this topic

#10141 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

And another area where I'll break with the far left and even some mainstream Dems - I don't see what the problem is in having an income limit in terms of who gets relief and who doesn't. 

AFAIK, there *is* a limit and everything I've heard from the left is that want that, they don't want well-to-do people getting it.  The issue is that, if you want the relief to go out fast, you can't do it on a complicated case-by-case basis.  You have to just pick a $-number of cash relief per person *and* set a cap on how much an adult can earn and still get it.   Anything else is way too complicated to happen anytime soon.

So, you pick a $-number and you pick an income-cap-number, and you do it.  The $-number per person is $1400 (which ain't much).  The income cap is to be decided.  Biden started with an income cap of $150K per person mainly so the opposition could get focused on that and talk him down to a lower number.  Last I heard it's $75K income per adult.  That's a low cap for people where the cost of living is high, but a high cap in East Bumfrick Iowa.  But so it goes.  You gotta pick arbitrary things like that or else it will take forever. 

And if somebody gets a few bucks too much, well, that's the very least of our problems right now.

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#10142 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:07 PM

I get the desperation to get rid of Trump - and agree of it's importance. But you can't just lie on the campaign trail that blatantly, and get away with it. The $2,000 down to $1,400 doesn't bother me that much. 

He said $2000 *before* the Repubs came thru with a measly $600.  When the Repubs came thru with $600, that left a balance of $1400... which totals to the $2000 he originally said.  There's no BS there at all, it's entirely consistent.

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#10143 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,927 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

AFAIK, there *is* a limit and everything I've heard from the left is that want that, they don't want well-to-do people getting it.  The issue is that, if you want the relief to go out fast, you can't do it on a complicated case-by-case basis.  You have to just pick a $-number of cash relief per person *and* set a cap on how much an adult can earn and still get it.   Anything else is way too complicated to happen anytime soon.

So, you pick a $-number and you pick an income-cap-number, and you do it.  The $-number per person is $1400 (which ain't much).  The income cap is to be decided.  Biden started with an income cap of $150K per person mainly so the opposition could get focused on that and talk him down to a lower number.  Last I heard it's $75K income per adult.  That's a low cap for people where the cost of living is high, but a high cap in East Bumfrick Iowa.  But so it goes.  You gotta pick arbitrary things like that or else it will take forever. 

And if somebody gets a few bucks too much, well, that's the very least of our problems right now.

I believe there is, but that is another thing the far left is currently up in arms about, along with the $1,400 vs. $2,000; which as I said earlier, I don't mind... $600+$1,400 = $2,000 - I just don't think $2,000, for the people who are truly hurting, is nearly enough, but that's a separate conversation altogether. But the income limit thing - I can't really understand how that's a problem. I think it's pragmatic, responsible and realistic in terms of how you're ever going to get anything done in this climate. 

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#10144 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,927 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

He said $2000 *before* the Repubs came thru with a measly $600.  When the Repubs came thru with $600, that left a balance of $1400... which totals to the $2000 he originally said.  There's no BS there at all, it's entirely consistent.

Like I said, this one didn't really bother me. I think the far left looks at it as, if he truly cared for the people who are desperate right now, he'd be fighting for $2k or more, regardless of what was done before. I think that's where they lose me a little bit. Until there is some sort of dramatic, probably super scary and traumatic uprising in this country, this is the way things work and simply put - I want what they're on if they really think with a straight face he can actually get anything done above what he's about to get done (which we still don't even know the extent of anyway).

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#10145 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,927 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Covid relief is still covid, but it is definitely political - a bit blurry here so Mods feel free to remove if crossing the line.

The Senate Parliamentarian tonight ruled that the Dems' $15/hr Min. Wage provision can't be included in the covid relief bill. So there's that. I think it sucks personally, but probably in turn helps to get it approved in the end.

#10146 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,957 posts

Posted Today, 06:52 AM

Covid relief is still covid, but it is definitely political - a bit blurry here so Mods feel free to remove if crossing the line.

The Senate Parliamentarian tonight ruled that the Dems' $15/hr Min. Wage provision can't be included in the covid relief bill. So there's that. I think it sucks personally, but probably in turn helps to get it approved in the end.

I’m receiving way too many fast food orders screwed up for minimum wage to go up.

Joking. The cost of living is rising faster than wages.

But seriously. I’m not exaggerating when I say the last 10 times I’ve gotten drive thru or something delivered, it’s been a mistake. Ice cold hot food. Forgetting food. Wrong food. Ignoring simple modifications like “no tomatoes”.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10147 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted Today, 11:49 AM

Well I've been blissfully ambivalent about the vaccine appointment issues because I figured I didn't qualify yet, but we just got word that we've been declared essential personnel and are in group 1C.  (Which really we probably should have been all along since we never locked down even in the prime lockdown time.)  So now I guess I have to look into figuring this thing out...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), glenn__davis

Our Sponsors

width=