10405 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:07 AM

Some of my friends work in the medical field and they feel it's all much ado about nothing. Still, we've had 2 deaths confirmed in the country now and some people are freaking out.

On a scale of 1-10, how concerned are you with the latest illness/disease that's going to end humanity as we know it? :-)

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

It’s another thing being completely blown out of proportion by the media.

It’s bs that it got out of the lab in China and it’s not something you just gloss over but it’s something like 2% of the people who get it die from it and of those 2%, you wonder how many would die from a “normal flu” anyway?

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

The potential unknown factors make it at least a 5. From what we know so far I get why some people arent sweating it but maybe the virus lies dormant for a few months before it turns us into zombies.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:43 AM

It has a 2% mortality rate, which is significantly higher than the normal flu...but still not 'high.'

More of an issue for old, young, and those with other health issues.

Far bigger issue is impact on the interconnected world economy.

It's not being falsely blown up. The economic impact could be immense.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

My mom has MS and turns 70 in two months. I’m terrified about her getting it
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:42 AM

Some of my friends work in the medical field and they feel it's all much ado about nothing. Still, we've had 2 deaths confirmed in the country now and some people are freaking out.

On a scale of 1-10, how concerned are you with the latest illness/disease that's going to end humanity as we know it? :smile:

Zika virus supposed to have this huge impact on the Rio Olympics and then all of a sudden, no one that went caught anything. Ebola virus was big right around the time of one of the major police incidents. (Ferguson, or Baltimore, I can't remember). But I do remember that all of sudden Ebola wasn't a thing anymore. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

Taking it seriously but not freaking out about it. Treating it like a bad flu season, wash hands frequently etc. Only real concern is my son has had pre-asthma stuff but we have an inhaler to be safe.

Of the 2% death rate how much of that is young, otherwise healthy people? I’m not sure.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

I'm definitely very worried for people like Pedro - that's terrifying for sure. That's why it can't be completely ignored.

Also, the potential impact this could have on the election is notable. Which ties in to the economic impact. 

Overall, though, I'm tired of the hysteria involved with a fraction of the world population being impacted by a virus with a mortality rate similar to regular influenza. 

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

Overall, though, I'm tired of the hysteria involved with a fraction of the world population being impacted by a virus with a mortality rate similar to regular influenza. 

Just for the record, the regular flu mortality rate is 0.1%.   So from that to 2% is a jump. 
Past that, I agree that we all don't need to be, "We're all going to die, omg!" 

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

Just for the record, the regular flu mortality rate is 0.1%.   So from that to 2% is a jump. 
Past that, I agree that we all don't need to be, "We're all going to die, omg!" 

Right, that's very similar rates, as I said. 

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

It's impacted .000018% of the world population (90,000 cases to a world population of 5 billion). Meanwhile, regular influenza has impacted .003% of the world population this season (15 million cases). Just some perspective.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:18 AM

Right, that's very similar rates, as I said. 

Okay, I think it's notable statistical leap... but in-general I feel the same. 

It's impacted .000018% of the world population (90,000 cases to a world population of 5 billion). Meanwhile, regular influenza has impacted .003% of the world population this season (15 million cases). Just some perspective.

Completely fair to say there is some level of hysteria not matching the current level of exposure. 

I do think it's also completely fair to be raising all the alarms giving how this can impact the world economy. 

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

It's also in a very early stage, so it's safe to say that it will affect significantly more people by the time we are in the clear.

That said, I'm not freaking out for myself, but I am more concerned for those that are more vulnerable.

It will also be interesting / potentially scary to see how we react as a country if this becomes a significant issue here. For instance, Japan has shut down schools for a month.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:35 AM

It's also in a very early stage, so it's safe to say that it will affect significantly more people by the time we are in the clear.

That said, I'm not freaking out for myself, but I am more concerned for those that are more vulnerable.

It will also be interesting / potentially scary to see how we react as a country if this becomes a significant issue here. For instance, Japan has shut down schools for a month.

Absolutely. One thing I've heard people who live paycheck-to-paycheck discuss is how even if they have symptoms, they don't want to get checked out because of fear of a multi-week quarantine and the catastrophic effect it would have to not get paid after their sick days run out. 

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:37 AM

Okay, I think it's notable statistical leap... but in-general I feel the same. 

Completely fair to say there is some level of hysteria not matching the current level of exposure. 

I do think it's also completely fair to be raising all the alarms giving how this can impact the world economy. 

I guess my point is, even if it rose to the level of regular influenza, it'd still be .003% of the world population. I just think the hysteria is waaaayyyyyyyy overblown. 

• SportsGuy likes this

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

Absolutely. One thing I've heard people who live paycheck-to-paycheck discuss is how even if they have symptoms, they don't want to get checked out because of fear of a multi-week quarantine and the catastrophic effect it would have to not get paid after their sick days run out.

That and the health care bills.

So of course that rational fear that you mention will lead to the virus spreading more.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

Yep, the problem isn't that they don't have a valid point, it's that the flip side of it is when they don't do it out of fear of going broke or potentially losing their jobs (in some industries), but then they go in and spread it and it multiplies so that thousands of people have it now, and you can't stop it anymore.

It's the same thing with parents and sick kids. You hear ALL the time, oh, it didn't seem THAT serious, and I can't take off work, so I sent them in. Now 300 kids in that school catch whatever and spread it to their families to more people and some of them really CAN'T take off work. Some people just have a work ethic that won't let them do the smart thing and take off for themselves or their kids, and just make everything so much worse.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:04 AM

I worry about this. I'm in my last semester at Towson. They already had one professor removed because they thought he had it, and he didn't. (I guess he's back, didn't hear a follow up). They had a group of students and staff members studying abroad in Italy return early and are currently in quarantine. 

They're being proactive. But i wonder if they will jump the gun. On the other hand, if they close campus and the switch the curriculum to online, I won't be mad about that. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

It’s another thing being completely blown out of proportion by the media.

It’s bs that it got out of the lab in China and it’s not something you just gloss over but it’s something like 2% of the people who get it die from it and of those 2%, you wonder how many would die from a “normal flu” anyway?

I could potentially make this number higher because of my kids.

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

I guess my point is, even if it rose to the level of regular influenza, it'd still be .003% of the world population. I just think the hysteria is waaaayyyyyyyy overblown. 

https://www.nytimes....avirus-flu.html

This article says that a 2% fatality rate is equivalent to the 1918 influenza, which is...not ideal. But medical science is a lot more advanced than it was a century ago, as is the ability of countries to react to new information and outbreaks. So I'm honestly not all that worried.

I think getting worked up in either direction ("We're all gonna die!" OR "Blown out of proportion!") is a bad idea. The media isn't helping, the current leadership isn't helping, and regular people doing things like buying cases of facemasks and avoiding Asian businesses isn't helping.

@DJ_McCann

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=