10405 replies to this topic

#10221 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

Easily could have done that too at the point they are at (mid 3rd quarter) BUT I do understand the need to start to build this stuff out for the Fall. There are a bunch of kids out there where this situation, even with the risk of infection is more appealing than what they have at home right now. I'm not blind to that either. But the people that are loudly pushing for this ARE NOT those people. It's the white, affluent areas pushing to get their kids back, piggybacking on those kids that really need it. They try to act like they are speaking for those "poor kids who really need these services" but then you look at the rates of return and you see the title one schools are coming back at about 25 or 30% and the places like Severna Park are coming back in the 75% range. It's funny too, my favorite now, is when you bring this up to those fake people and ask them WHY the kids that need it the most aren't coming back in large clumps, they have zero clue. You'd think if they had been talking to these people and knew what they were supposedly pushing for, they'd know that right?

A lot of me thinks the warmer weather coming, combined with more people getting vaccinated is going to keep driving numbers down, and things will slowly keep shrinking...but then I think about sports all opening up, kids face to face at school, and a lot of these people we have to worry about not following safety rules are either people that won't vaccinate, or are in the final tier, and I worry there's another spike coming at some point. :( I hope not though.

You know these rich, affluent white people don't care about anyone but themselves and using the teachers as babysitters !

Talk about the elitist kettle calling the other kettle black.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#10222 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

I doubt that it's possible but I almost wonder if they could have done like a 2 week trial period.  Let the kids see what it's like, maybe some that wanted virtual would change their mind and prefer hybrid instead or some that originally wanted hybrid realized the mask thing isn't for them and change to virtual.

It was also interesting seeing the results of the county and the areas where those that chose hybrid was higher/lower than average.

The bolded is the big thing.  Everyone's situation is unique.  It's such a hot button topic, that I feel like there's this pressure on parents/teachers no matter how they decide.

I mean for us, if someone would have said, everyone has to try this period. We would be homeschooling right now. You don't get to tell me what an acceptable amount of risk and anxiety is. My kids don't feel safe going back. I don't feel safe with them going back. Conversation is over.

I think you're going to see a couple handfuls of people that go back and find out that this isn't what they pictured it was going to be and switch out. ESPECIALLY once state testing starts. But I blame that on people that didn't bother really looking into it. Some people to this day have NO idea what it was going to be, they just heard send them back to school and said, OK. And there are going to be people, I've seen them already this morning, that are like open schools 5 days a week and throw away computers. These are the idiots that don't understand the computers are here to stay no matter what happens. That's not going away. Computer screens are not making your kid dumber, that's the stuff you let them do on it by not paying attention. When people are screen time this and screen time that, all I can think of is, is the kid playing Fortnite, or are they on a site where they are reading excerpts of an autobiography, and then have to write a small summary at the end? Are they watching Pokemon, or are they watching a video of how the city of Rome fell?

You don't get mad at the hammer, you get mad the idiot not paying attention and putting holes in the wall.

But yeah, I've said from the start I knew what those numbers would come out like, and they were everything I expected. Entitled white people demanding their children go back to school, while the kids that can barely speak English still are sitting at home with Gma because that family knows they can't afford for someone to bring home COVID. For every kid that needs those 3 meals a day they feed them, cause it's dicey if they get fed at home, there are 3 kids going back that "OMG my little Brighton can't eat lunch in a room where someone might have a peanut, or non-soy milk, so he'll be bringing his own food, you can keep your sack lunch, and he will need a safe space to eat, while also surrounded by friends so that he can socialize" and before you ask, yes that's an actual example.

It's yet another thing that has turned into us vs them. The amount of disrespect shown to teachers during this whole process, I would have quit 10 times over if I were them. These selfish, entitled, nitwits have just gone way too far.

@JeremyMStrain

#10223 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

Jeremy, as far as the % of student/parents that didn't even respond to the survey do you think that was more of I'm sticking with hybrid and don't feel like taking the time to say that or sadly parents that aren't as informed that they had options?

A lot of them were people that you have to actually WORK to reach. Whether it's about a choice of school, their kids grades, or whatever, communication with them is always hard. But this is something that the schools needed to work at. There were schools with 0% no responses...go ahead, ask where they live, cause I bet you can guess. But the schools where someone had to work at it beyond sending out spam emails and robocalls? 30% non response in some cases.

It really depends on the school itself, but some did a LOT of work making people aware of their options by the end of it. I can say that because now when kids are going back, these people are NOT reaching out and saying, oh I really wanted my kid to go to school, can you fix that? They mostly just didn't care, and weren't sending their kids back so screw it. Most of the people who did give reasons in those areas (that I've heard of) have overwhelmingly said either they just didn't trust the school system to keep them safe, or do what is in their best interest, or can't risk someone getting seriously sick so it's not worth risking.

@JeremyMStrain

#10224 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:32 PM

Pedro asked me to share, "I was going to share that I was able to get a vaccination appointment and the best way to do it is to be online around midnight -- which is when the M&T Bank appointments generally drop."

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#10225 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:48 PM

Have unlocked this thread, as COVID is being discussed in a few different spots on the board.

If you have COVID / Sports thoughts... please add them in the respective sport sections. 

You have other COVID thoughts, add them here.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#10226 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

I dont expect people to walk with fear. I would hope, they pay attention to how dangerous COVID is and respect things, like masks social distancing.

Everybody is so tired of COVID (ME TOO) but jumping back on Cruise ships (There are 2 unable to come to port, because of COVID) and doing tourist stuff is pretty wild.

A friend of mine, lost his mother 2 weeks ago to the big C, and in getting together even with masks, pretty much their whole family came down with a respiratory virus that put 2 of the kids into PEDS ICU. and several of the older adults came down with pneumonia.

#10227 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:35 PM

The significant increase of kids in ICU bothers me... a lot.

They're just kids... and adult knuckleheads are putting them in the ICU due to their negligence...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10228 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:43 PM

Just one of many, many.... and it's getting worse by the day...

https://www.washingt...s-covid-sepsis/

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10229 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:46 PM

I think it’s time to stop the generalized “stupid people” are spreading it. This new variant is obviously something different. Plenty of people doing all the things they were told to safely do, caught it.

I was as careful as could be last year. Got vaxxed first chance I got. Wore a mask when they said to. Did not when it wasn’t required for the vaccinated. All of a sudden one day right before this variant was big news, caught it. How long did I unknowingly have it? I don’t know. Long enough to pass to some stranger? I hope not, but possibly? Anything happen to that stranger, maybe a poor child? I don’t know.

But I wouldn’t classify myself as stupid for doing everything I was supposed to and still getting it, and maybe passing it on.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10230 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:50 PM

I think it’s time to stop the generalized “stupid people” are spreading it. This new variant is obviously something different. Plenty of people doing all the things they were told to safely do, caught it.

I was as careful as could be last year. Got vaxxed first chance I got. Wore a mask when they said to. Did not when it wasn’t required for the vaccinated. All of a sudden one day right before this variant was big news, caught it. How long did I unknowingly have it? I don’t know. Long enough to pass to some stranger? I hope not, but possibly? Anything happen to that stranger, maybe a poor child? I don’t know.

But I wouldn’t classify myself as stupid for doing everything I was supposed to and still getting it, and maybe passing it on.

I don't think anybody with any sense would call you stupid. 

What you did is not only what you were s'posed to do, it's also what will keep you out of the hospital... and the morgue...

• CantonJester likes this

#10231 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 09:26 PM

I don't think anybody with any sense would call you stupid.

What you did is not only what you were s'posed to do, it's also what will keep you out of the hospital... and the morgue...

I just feel like a lot of people out there that have been lucky not to catch any variant of it just assume that those catching it are out being stupid.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10232 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:01 PM

I do think the National Guard should be deployed, and field hospitals stood up in hard hit areas. Something needs to be done. It really is unacceptable for stories like the one above to be taking place nearly 2 full years into this thing.

Does anyone know what the ratio is of hospitalization for vaxed vs. unvaxed?

One other factor is cost of insurance. According to the link below, unvaccinated Covid related hospital costs cost $13 Billion from June-November 2021 alone. Our heal the insurance costs these next couple years are going to sky rocket.

https://www.healthsy...ons-of-dollars/
  • russsnyder likes this

#10233 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:14 PM

Anxiety is high right now, seems like someone new that we know tests positive every day, but this Twitter thread helped ease my mind a bit if/when we get through this big spike: https://twitter.com/...314067660722176

#10234 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:18 PM

This whole thing has me feeling depressed, defeated and hopeless.

I definitely don’t feel any joy these days whatsoever.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10235 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:21 PM

This whole thing has me feeling depressed, defeated and hopeless.

I definitely don’t feel any joy these days whatsoever.

Right there with you. Genuinely think much better days are ahead though, and sooner than later.

#10236 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:26 PM

Anxiety is high right now, seems like someone new that we know tests positive every day, but this Twitter thread helped ease my mind a bit if/when we get through this big spike: https://twitter.com/...314067660722176

It really is a lot of good stuff ahead I think, but it's going to be dark for a couple months, especially for the unvaccinated. And for teachers, medical workers, etc. which no one seems to actually care about other than virtue signaling on their Facelife here and there. 

I've heard a lot of people describe omicron as feeling like the day after the booster. So it's cool he makes that reference with respect to it acting as a booster, in terms of immunity. I think that's the right way to look at this thing, from a mental health perspective. Certainly do all you can to avoid it, but know that if you're boosted, it's mild and may in the end actually help you.

• BobPhelan likes this

#10237 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:32 PM

One scary thought about this is that given how mild it is, the number of people experiencing a headache or the sniffles for a day, thinking nothing of it, and never getting tested or isolating. It’s as contagious as measles, but that can’t be helping. I’ve also heard a number of first hand accounts in the last week alone where a business has known of an employee testing positive, and asking them to work anyway due to the labor crisis. So all around, it is adding up to spread we’ve never seen before. Currently 19.7% test positive rate in Maryland despite being one of the highest vaccinated states. And consider all the people testing positive with self kits and not reporting it to the official agencies.

#10238 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:48 PM

One scary thought about this is that given how mild it is, the number of people experiencing a headache or the sniffles for a day, thinking nothing of it, and never getting tested or isolating. It’s as contagious as measles, but that can’t be helping. I’ve also heard a number of first hand accounts in the last week alone where a business has known of an employee testing positive, and asking them to work anyway due to the labor crisis. So all around, it is adding up to spread we’ve never seen before. Currently 19.7% test positive rate in Maryland despite being one of the highest vaccinated states. And consider all the people testing positive with self kits and not reporting it to the official agencies.

This. I tested at home, and obviously didn't report it to anyone. That positive number is likely in the 30% zone.

@beginthebegin71

#10239 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:04 PM

This. I tested at home, and obviously didn't report it to anyone. That positive number is likely in the 30% zone.

That would certainly impact the number of cases, but would not likely increase positivity percentage much, if at all.

#10240 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:11 PM

Right there with you. Genuinely think much better days are ahead though, and sooner than later.

Wish I shared your optimism.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=