Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

SI: Maryland Announces Detailed Plans for Return of Student-Athletes

https://www.si.com/c... their release.

As the team proceeds with individual, voluntary workouts supervised by a select number of sports medicine staff, football student-athletes are permitted to return to campus on June 8 for pre-participation medical screenings while voluntary individual workouts are tentatively scheduled to begin on June 15.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:18 PM

SI: Maryland Announces Detailed Plans for Return of Student-Athletes

https://www.si.com/c... their release.

Good for them.  I am guessing given the recent history Maryland consulted the doctors as musch as any school.

I still am skeptical on what the CFB season is going to look like.

@mikeghg

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:09 PM

Good for them.  I am guessing given the recent history Maryland consulted the doctors as musch as any school.

I still am skeptical on what the CFB season is going to look like.

It is going to look different, that much I can predict with relative certainty.

Don't expect to see packed stadiums. How they will determine who is allowed in will be a very contentious issue between the schools and season ticket holders.

They will probably plan to wrap the season up early to attempt to avoid an anticipated spike in coronavirus cases headed into late fall, when some health experts suggest it could spread more easily.

Teams could lose important players for a period of time if just one player, coach, trainer, or anyone with regular contact with the team tests positive. Worst case, some teams might have to forfeit games or their seasons if the virus severely infects their program.

But they will do everything they possibly can to balance the health/safety of everyone while trying to have a season...because not having a season would lead to financial ruin for a lot of athletics departments.

• Mike B likes this

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

SI: McKennie on Five-Year Career, Locksley, Life After Football
https://www.si.com/c...yland-interview

#45 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:35 PM

Two defensive backs from Liberty University have entered the transfer portal due to "racial insensitivity displayed by leadership at Liberty University". One of the players is Tayvion Land, the best player Liberty has ever recruited. He was originally committed to Maryland before decommitting after Mike Locksley took over. I believe the new coaching staff had concerns about his size (5'8", 160 lbs.) but may be worth watching to see if they take a second look at him.

https://www.cbssport...-insensitivity/

@BSLZackKiesel

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:21 AM

It is going to look different, that much I can predict with relative certainty.

Don't expect to see packed stadiums. How they will determine who is allowed in will be a very contentious issue between the schools and season ticket holders.

They will probably plan to wrap the season up early to attempt to avoid an anticipated spike in coronavirus cases headed into late fall, when some health experts suggest it could spread more easily.

Teams could lose important players for a period of time if just one player, coach, trainer, or anyone with regular contact with the team tests positive. Worst case, some teams might have to forfeit games or their seasons if the virus severely infects their program.

But they will do everything they possibly can to balance the health/safety of everyone while trying to have a season...because not having a season would lead to financial ruin for a lot of athletics departments.

Your last point is what should worry all CFB fans.  I think, it could make the difference between the haves and have nots in CFB.  The factories like Alabama, Ohio State, and others probably can sustain losing all or part of a season.  THe schools that have budget issues, will make cuts throughout the program that will further widen the gaps.

@mikeghg

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

PressBox: Maryland’s Jeshaun Jones Working To Return From Torn ACL ‘Better Than Ever’
https://pressboxonli...tter-than-ever/

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:42 PM

Balt Sun: Maryland suspends football workouts after nine individuals test positive for coronavirus

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Balt Sun: Maryland suspends football workouts after nine individuals test positive for coronavirus

It had to happen....Plus given the recent history, Maryland is probably going to be more cautious than most.

@mikeghg

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:56 PM

IMS: All '90s Team

https://247sports.co...04/#149157104_4

#51 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Maryland's Michael Locksley forms group for minority football coaches

#52 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:20 AM

Locksley announced that the Terps will be without the following players for this season:

• QB Josh Jackson (Opt-Out)
  • TE Chigoziem Okonkwo (Medical)
  • OL Austin Fontaine (Opt-Out)
  • OL Johnny Jordan (Opt-Out)

These are all significant blows to the team, as they decimate the offensive line and leave them with a massive hole at the tight end position. Apparently three other players have opted out, still waiting on those names.

Locksley also mentioned that he expects the decision on Taulia Tagovailoa's eligibility to come down in the next few days.

@BSLZackKiesel

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

Wow... that's crushing. 

I can't say I blame any of them, but devastating. 

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#54 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

As things currently stand, my new QB, TE, and OL projections:

QB: 1. Lance LeGendre, 2. Eric Najarian

TE: 1. Malik Jackson, 2. Tyler Baylor OR Kameron Blount

LT: 1. Jaelyn Duncan, 2. TJ Bradley

LG: 1. Evan Gregory, 2. Marcus Finger

C: 1. Johari Branch, 2. Tyler Hamilton

RG: 1. Spencer Anderson, 2. Amelio Moran

RT: 1. Marcus Minor, 2. Tyran Hunt

@BSLZackKiesel

#55 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

Locksley announced that the Terps will be without the following players for this season:

• QB Josh Jackson (Opt-Out)
  • TE Chigoziem Okonkwo (Medical)
  • OL Austin Fontaine (Opt-Out)
  • OL Johnny Jordan (Opt-Out)

These are all significant blows to the team, as they decimate the offensive line and leave them with a massive hole at the tight end position. Apparently three other players have opted out, still waiting on those names.

Locksley also mentioned that he expects the decision on Taulia Tagovailoa's eligibility to come down in the next few days.

DL Jalen Alexander, LB TJ Kautai, and DB Vincent Flythe are the other three players who have opted out.

@BSLZackKiesel

#56 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

Wow... that's crushing. 

I can't say I blame any of them, but devastating. 

So do these players lose a year of eligibility, or will they call it a medical red-shirt ?

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:04 PM

As things currently stand, my new QB, TE, and OL projections:

QB: 1. Lance LeGendre, 2. Eric Najarian

TE: 1. Malik Jackson, 2. Tyler Baylor OR Kameron Blount

LT: 1. Jaelyn Duncan, 2. TJ Bradley
LG: 1. Evan Gregory, 2. Marcus Finger
C: 1. Johari Branch, 2. Tyler Hamilton
RG: 1. Spencer Anderson, 2. Amelio Moran
RT: 1. Marcus Minor, 2. Tyran Hunt

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but as a Terps fan, I’m hoping the season just gets cancelled. I don’t blame any player for choosing not to play, but what they’re likely going to be left with if they play might not even be worth watching.
  • Mike B likes this

#58 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Taulia Tagovailoa has officially been ruled eligible for 2020, and becomes the expected starter at QB.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Hooded Viper like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

Taulia Tagovailoa has officially been ruled eligible for 2020, and becomes the expected starter at QB.

Would be more excited if he didn't just lose two lineman in-front of him. But good news. 

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:21 PM

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but as a Terps fan, I’m hoping the season just gets cancelled. I don’t blame any player for choosing not to play, but what they’re likely going to be left with if they play might not even be worth watching.

I think CFB is kidding themselves.   If I did not know collegiate sports, was all about the students, I would swear it is all about the money.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=