#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the transfer portal, and is planning to leave Alabama. Not sure how involved Locksley was with his recruitment, but he certainly knows the family and would be a huge addition to Maryland's QB room.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:24 AM

So give us Tua Jr or Caleb

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Miami is being talked about as a likely destination for him, since the Tagovailoa family is currently settled there and he'd be playing in the same stadium as his brother. Smaller Florida schools like FAU or FIU are also possibilities. But the family loves Locksley, so Maryland will certainly be in the mix.

@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

If he came - and was eligible for '20 - you'd certainly feel much better about the QB depth. 
Of course it would probably also eliminate any chance at Williams. 

Still, if Tagovailoa wants to come, you can't say no because Williams might.

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

If he came - and was eligible for '20 - you'd certainly feel much better about the QB depth. 
Of course it would probably also eliminate any chance at Williams. 

Still, if Tagovailoa wants to come, you can't say no because Williams might.

He won't be eligible in 2020, he'll have 3 years of eligibility beginning in 2021. Wouldn't say it'd eliminate any chance at Williams, either. That'd be like saying having LeGendre on the roster eliminates the chance of Tagovailoa.

(Not to mention that Caleb Williams is 99.9% going to Oklahoma)

@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

PressBoxUrban Meyer Confident In Terps HC Michael Locksley But Says Urgency Needed

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the transfer portal, and is planning to leave Alabama. Not sure how involved Locksley was with his recruitment, but he certainly knows the family and would be a huge addition to Maryland's QB room.

Tagovailoa has officially announced he'll be transferring to Maryland. Huge pickup for Locksley and his staff, and will certainly be a candidate to start when he's eligible in 2021.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

Question.  If they don't have a season this year, does he still need to sit a year out?

@bopper33

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

Question.  If they don't have a season this year, does he still need to sit a year out?

Doubt it.

@BSLZackKiesel

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Tagovailoa has officially announced he'll be transferring to Maryland. Huge pickup for Locksley and his staff, and will certainly be a candidate to start when he's eligible in 2021.

Seems to be fair amount of conjecture that he will be applying for a waiver for immediate eligibility, and might get it?

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:48 PM

Seems to be fair amount of conjecture that he will be applying for a waiver for immediate eligibility, and might get it?

I have *no* idea how all that works.  I used to think it was only because you transferred to take a grad course and your old school didn't offer it?  Then they granted waivers if a coach left?  None of those are apropos here so I dunno what grounds he would have. 

@bopper33

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:50 PM

I have *no* idea how all that works. I used to think it was only because you transferred to take a grad course and your old school didn't offer it? Then they granted waivers if a coach left? None of those are apropos here so I dunno what grounds he would have.

Hardship is the most common reason for guys that aren't grad transfers to be able to play immediately. If you're transferring anywhere closer to home or closer to a family member you can usually claim that you need to do it for some related reason.

I think it's crap that players have to sit out at all. There are aesthetic downsides for fans if it were a free for all, but I think that's far outweighed by the unAmericanness of the current rules. Coaches can leave for a more favorable opportunity with no repercussions, it's crap that the kids can't do the same. Students can transfer whenever they want for any reason as long as they find a place willing to take them. Student athletes should have he same ability.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

I don't see it happening. If he'd transferred to a Florida school it'd be much more likely, but he's actually farther away from his family at Maryland than he would've been if he'd stayed at Alabama.

And since it's doubtful we see a standard football season this year (if we see one at all), it might be more beneficial to have his three years of eligibility start in 2021.

@BSLZackKiesel

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

Good pickup for Locksley.  IMO, if there is a season, this year, they should let all the transfer kids play.  This is a special time in the world, sports included.  The NCAA which is an ass, needs to get off their high horses and let the transfer be eligible in both football and basketball.

@mikeghg

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

The NCAA which is an ass, needs to get off their high horses and let the transfer be eligible in both football and basketball.

It appeared like they might have been set to waive that rule (but a player could only do it once) last month, but it got put on the back-burner. They may still do it in time for the 2020-21 academic year. I think that's Tagovailoa's best, and maybe only hope of being eligible this coming season.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

Episode 2 of Talking Terps

https://anchor.fm/ta...pisode-2-eeeia5

In this episode of Talking Terps, the guys cover the latest news regarding COVID-19 and the guidance issued from both the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference. They also dig into the transfers of Taulia Tagovailoa to the football team and Galin Smith to the basketball team, and Pat gives us a quick update on basketball recruiting.

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:02 PM

It appeared like they might have been set to waive that rule (but a player could only do it once) last month, but it got put on the back-burner. They may still do it in time for the 2020-21 academic year. I think that's Tagovailoa's best, and maybe only hope of being eligible this coming season.

To me, it is not something that should be dragged out, but it is the NCAA so prepare for the dragging.

@mikeghg

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:38 AM

PressBox: Terps Commit Marcus Bradley: ‘Something Very Special’ Brewing Thanks To Local Recruiting
https://pressboxonli...cal-recruiting/

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:00 PM

PressBox: Terps Commit Marcus Bradley: ‘Something Very Special’ Brewing Thanks To Local Recruiting
https://pressboxonli...cal-recruiting/

I like the enthusiasm Bradley shows toward staying local.players staying at Maryland.  Locks is making progress keeping the home grown talent in CP.  Durkin was doing the same thing, so there is evidence that Maryland can win the locals, they need to keep the momentum and build on the allure of staying home, by winning games.

@mikeghg

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

Locksley has hired Henry Baker as the team's new cornerbacks coach. Baker played for the Terps as a defensive back from 1994-1997 and began his coaching career here as a defensive graduate assistant in 2008. His coaching career has included stops at East Stroudsburg, Delaware, Rutgers, North Carolina, and most recently as an assistant defensive backs coach for the New York Giants.

This finalizes the coaching staff for the 2020 season.

https://www.si.com/c...-baker-maryland

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=