#361 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:31 PM

Enjoy him now because he won't be signing a new deal with the Orioles.

There is no way of knowing that.  He is basically in his first year of service, so there is a lot of time and it is also possible that we could have new ownership. 

@mikeghg

#362 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:39 PM

There is no way of knowing that. He is basically in his first year of service, so there is a lot of time and it is also possible that we could have new ownership.

I mean...sure, but Boras clients don't usually resign, and the Orioles will not bid high enough to keep him when the Yankees can throw nearly half a billion over 10 years at him.

#363 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:40 PM

There is no way of knowing that.  He is basically in his first year of service, so there is a lot of time and it is also possible that we could have new ownership. 

On the new ownership front, fair enough.  But I have no faith in John Angelos after the BS about the open books, the BS about the long term lease, the blatant cost cutting measures at the stadium (to go along with the increased prices), etc.

#364 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 01:10 PM

I can see (hopefully) the Angelos family selling the O's and taking the billions and retiring.  The Angelos clan pretty much has no income other then what the O's bring in, so selling the O's once papa Peter passes on will probably happen, but that could be many years from now.   

As I said before, the idea of Gunnar in another AL east uniform is not a happy thought. 

#365 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2023 - 09:06 AM

As of yesterday he's the odds on favorite for the ROY and last nights game sure didn't hurt him any!!

#366 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:35 AM

8 years $180M. Is that enough?

#367 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:42 AM

Enough to give trust fund baby an aneurism at the mere mention of it.
  • mweb08 likes this

#368 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:47 AM

How often has the #1 prospect in baseball turned into a total bust?

He was never gonna be the ROY. Unreal expectations on this particular 21 yr old. Hes not a phenom like Rodriguez or Acuna or Tatis. That was pretty clear. To me at least. I mean I could argue the Os moved him too fast but he succeeded every place he went and the Os challenged him. Cant really blame them for that.

Just not interested in discussing his xWar Fip parabola

I’ve watched him this year. He looks like a crappy baseball player.

Maybe he figures it out and turns into left handed Nolan Arenado.

So despite some bold proclamations very early in the season it  appears in fact that Gunnar is indeed good.   On a related note, maybe we should show some patience with Cowser as well before writing him off.

• Mackus, Mike B and CantonJester like this

#369 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:50 AM

Agent works for the player and all that stuff, but guys don't hire Boras because they wanna get locked up early.  I think we may still have a shot at Rutschman, but I would be absolutely shocked if Gunnar extended.

Julio Rodriguez at the same point in his career got 7/$120M and then a variety of option scenarios kick in including a 5/$90M player option so he's at least guaranteed that much.  I think your numbers are definitely enough to get Gunnar's attention.  They're on this high side, really.  But whether he'll ever agree to sign rather than just go year-to-year and try to maximize is something only he and Boras know.

#370 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:22 AM

So despite some bold proclamations very early in the season it  appears in fact that Gunnar is indeed good.   On a related note, maybe we should show some patience with Cowser as well before writing him off.

Good post.  

I have been sold on Gunnar since I saw the swing.  We were at a game late last year sitting near the Oriole on deck circle and Gunnar hit a ball so high and so far that the ump called foul.  The Orioles challenged but lost mainly because the ball was so high it was impossible to tell fair or foul;.  The bat speed and the sound were incredible.  I became convinced he had special talent.

As for fans being patient, it is never going to happen.  Some of the reactions are amusing.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#371 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:32 AM

Good post.  

I have been sold on Gunnar since I saw the swing.  We were at a game late last year sitting near the Oriole on deck circle and Gunnar hit a ball so high and so far that the ump called foul.  The Orioles challenged but lost mainly because the ball was so high it was impossible to tell fair or foul;.  The bat speed and the sound were incredible.  I became convinced he had special talent.

As for fans being patient, it is never going to happen.  Some of the reactions are amusing.

Plenty more that I could have brought up, but there is a limit to the amount of posts that can be used  in the multiquote.  The same kind of takes are/were also being thrown around in the Grayson thread.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#372 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:36 AM

So despite some bold proclamations very early in the season it appears in fact that Gunnar is indeed good. On a related note, maybe we should show some patience with Cowser as well before writing him off.

This is all fair and Ill happily take an L for the most part here. Hes indeed not a phenom like Julio or Acuna.

Cowser will get a long look next year. Unless they move him in an offseason trade but thats unlikely

#373 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:45 AM

Julio also struggled badly out of the gate last year.  

Both Acuna and Julio had higher batting averages in their rookie years, but with the exception of stolen bases Gunnar is right there with them in production.

I look forward to watching Gunnar grow.  I do not think we have anywhere near seen what he is capable of.

• CantonJester likes this
@mikeghg

#374 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:56 AM

Julio also struggled badly out of the gate last year.  

Both Acuna and Julio had higher batting averages in their rookie years, but with the exception of stolen bases Gunnar is right there with them in production.

I look forward to watching Gunnar grow.  I do not think we have anywhere near seen what he is capable of.

That's the thing that jumps out the most to me (other than the sound off his bat which you talked about earlier, and I absolutely agree with) - the constant adjustments he makes. He's a player who is constantly growing. 

#375 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

That's the thing that jumps out the most to me (other than the sound off his bat which you talked about earlier, and I absolutely agree with) - the constant adjustments he makes. He's a player who is constantly growing. 

He needs to improve against lefties, but we have already seen that start to happen.  The tools are top shelf.  The thing that stands out to me, is the improvement he has made at shortstop.  I remember thinking early this year, that they need to get Gunnar to one position and that position was third base.  I still hope they put him at one position, but after watching him, adjust, he is a shortstop and a very good one.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#376 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:08 AM

He needs to improve against lefties, but we have already seen that start to happen.  

2022 - 448 OPS in 26 PA vs LHP

2023 thru May 31 - 444 OPS in 48 PA v LHP

2023 since June 1 - 746 OPS in 91 PA v LHP

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#377 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:19 AM

Said it before, won't be shocked at all if he makes an MVP run next year.

• Mackus likes this

#378 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:36 AM

Gonna be worse seeing him in another uniform than it is Machado. Thanks, Angelos.

#379 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:49 AM

Gonna be worse seeing him in another uniform than it is Machado. Thanks, Angelos.

What do you mean? You're not going to help fund the Gunnar/Adley extensions by paying $43,829 a seat every time you want to go to a game? Baltimore has the most selfish fans.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#380 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:11 PM

I draw my line in the sand at $105 beers and $75 crab nachos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=