418 replies to this topic

#341 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:07 AM

I think that’s revisionist history. People were saying the exact same thing about Gunnar at the start of the year. Too passive. Afraid to swing. Just wants to walk. Needs to go down to reset and change approach. Then something clicked. Doesn’t mean it will with Cowser of course.
  • BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#342 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:16 AM

Cowser was 3/38 with 5 BB and 22 K in his first 47 PA at Norfolk.  Doubt he looked very confident then.  After that point, he had a 990 OPS for the rest of his time in Norfolk before his promotion to Baltimore.

Panic at your own risk.

• Hooded Viper, BobPhelan and makoman like this

#343 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:00 AM

Gummar was absolutely passive swinging in April this year. Very similar approach.

#344 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:06 AM

Ok they went through the same thing. Not sure I agree but we'll go with it. But there is one huge difference. Cowser is doing so while we are competing for the playoffs.

Probably moot now since Mullins had to go on the IL.

#345 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:10 AM

Ok they went through the same thing. Not sure I agree but we'll go with it. But there is one huge difference. Cowser is doing so while we are competing for the playoffs.

Now that I agree with. And it was April. Colder. Start of the year.

#346 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:22 AM

Were we not competing for the playoffs in April?

#347 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:26 AM

Were we not competing for the playoffs in April?

Seriously?

Of course that's what you are always competing for. But not many on here thought the O's had an even fair shot back at the start of the season.

#348 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:37 AM

I think Cowser will be a good player eventually.

They need good players right now. Hopefully with Ced on the shelf for another few weeks he can get it together. I believe in the talent but we don't have the time for him (or Grayson for that matter) to gingerly dip their toes in the water. They need help now.

#349 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:40 AM

Seriously?

Of course that's what you are always competing for. But not many on here thought the O's had an even fair shot back at the start of the season.

86 wins made the playoffs last year. Most people had them around 500 or a tick above. I think that’s competing, but I suppose we can agree to disagree.

#350 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:45 AM

Clearly we know where we are now. That we are in the thick of everything. Theyball count the same but we know for a fact now how important the rest of these games are. The other thing of note is the stretch we are in now. Afrer LA we go to TB for 4. Then Phi for 3. Then NY for 3. That takes us to the deadline but still after that @Tor. Easily the toughest stretch of the year.

#351 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2023 - 04:22 PM

Want to extend somebody? Henderson is the one to extend.

#352 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 04:38 PM

Want to extend somebody? Henderson is the one to extend.

Agreed. But Scott Boras.

#353 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 04:39 PM

I'd absolutely extend Gunnar before anyone else currently on the roster.
  • Mike B likes this

#354 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:23 AM

I try to stay even keel, on young players both good and bad, but I think Gunnar is going to win an MVP in his time in the majors.  We hear the term 5 tool players way too much in today's game, but with Gunnar it fits.  This kid has become the best player on a very good team.  He also plays with a fiery style which serves him well.  If the Orioles are serious about winning for 10 years, they not only need to sign Adley but Gunnar too.  Right now, if I had to choose one, it would be Gunnar.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#355 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:55 AM

Boras clients have occasionally signed early deals.  He hates these deals, but still a few of his guys have signed them.  I think its about 90% certain that Gunnar won't be open to any sort of pre-arb extension right now, but I don't think its completely outside the realm of possibility.

#356 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:45 AM

Boras clients have occasionally signed early deals. He hates these deals, but still a few of his guys have signed them. I think its about 90% certain that Gunnar won't be open to any sort of pre-arb extension right now, but I don't think its completely outside the realm of possibility.

I think the window might already be closed. He and Boras both know that he's playing like a guy who will get a 300+ million dollar player when he hits FA as a 28 year old. He just watched Trea Turner get a monster contract, and I'd be shocked if he didn't bet on himself.

He's an Alabama kid right? Maybe he wants to be in Atlanta.

#357 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:50 AM

Enjoy him now because he won't be signing a new deal with the Orioles.

#358 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:50 AM

Enjoy him now because he won't be signing a new deal with the Orioles.

I think this is what we may need to get used to. A revolving door of talent that we see depart after 5 or 6 years to make room for more.

#359 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 11:07 AM

I think this is what we may need to get used to. A revolving door of talent that we see depart after 5 or 6 years to make room for more.

Yup, I've seen no evidence to suggest that the Orioles will sign any of the young talent to extensions.  Hell, there will probably be arbitration casualties too.

#360 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 11:17 AM

I have no idea how relevant Peter's tenure is to today, but they were always willing to sign their own much more than sign new FAs. Mora, Roberts, Markakais, Jones, Hardy all extended. Going after Davis in FA. And supposedly they tried with Machado.

Now sure, none of these were the top of market type deals we'd expect for Adley and Gunnar so that may not apply. If anything it could show more of a chance for extending like Mullins or Hays types.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=