418 replies to this topic

#321 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 03:50 PM

Gunnar's 462 foot home run today was the longest HR hit to RF in the history of OPCY (Ken Griffey Jr bounced one off the warehouse in the '93 Home Run Derby (estimated 465 feet). 

Austin Hays, Manny Machado, Aaron Judge, Edwin Encarnacion, and Carlos Correa all hit further shots, but they were to LF or LF-CF. 

https://www.theballp...ballpark-guide/

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#322 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 03:55 PM

Gunnar's 462 foot home run today was the longest HR hit to RF in the history of OPCY (Ken Griffey Jr bounced one off the warehouse in the '93 Home Run Derby (estimated 465 feet).

Austin Hays, Manny Machado, Aaron Judge, Edwin Encarnacion, and Carlos Correa all hit further shots, but they were to LF or LF-CF.

https://www.theballp...ballpark-guide/

Good players in that group. No stars, though.

Mark Reynolds, Machado, and Hays the only RH batters I can recall going 2nd deck at OPACY.

#323 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 09:12 PM

Good players in that group. No stars, though.

Mark Reynolds, Machado, and Hays the only RH batters I can recall going 2nd deck at OPACY.

That LH stroke may as well have been a 280 yard drive off the tee catching the fringe of the green to set up for an eagle. Easily one of the best moments of the O's season (for me, anyway). He just showed you he just might be the middle of the order option they currently lack. 

• Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#324 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 June 2023 - 11:37 PM

Gunnar pulling himself back into the RoY race.  Now 4th in Qualified Rookie OPS behind Noda, Yoshida and Jung.  Probably only Hunter Brown on  the pitching side (Cano might get some down ballot consideration)

• Mike B likes this

#325 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 10:38 AM

This may sound ridiculous, but Henderson's swing and body type reminds me of Reggie Jackson.  There are not to many players, ever who can hit a blast like yesterday's.  The term"light tower" power seems to fit.

@mikeghg

#326 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:34 PM

The Banner explains why the marker on Eutaw Street for Gunnar's 462-foot HR from yesterday doesn't quite reach the one for Jim Thome's 440-footer in 1996.  It's because they started using Statcast distances in 2015, and it measures things differently.

The estimated distance from Statcast is the most accurate measurement available, but it doesn’t mean the ball literally landed 462 feet away from home plate. Statcast measures where the ball would have landed on a flat ground, if there was no impediment on the way back to the playing surface. When Oriole Park at Camden Yards was built 31 years ago, the playing field was excavated into the ground. The right field wall rises about 21 feet — Eutaw Street, then, is a story above the playing field.

Before Statcast, Orioles team historian Bill Stetka said “there was just a chart that had a graphic line all the way across every dimension of the outfield,” which allowed for an estimated distance to be called on where it landed. That’s how Thome received a 440-foot measurement. And it’s how Ken Griffey Jr., who struck the warehouse on the fly during the 1993 home run derby, has a plaque that says 465 feet. With Statcast, both distances would be estimated longer.

Gunnar Henderson’s 462-foot homer and the confusion of Eutaw Street markers at Oriole Park - The Baltimore Banner

• mweb08 likes this

#327 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:37 PM

How far did they estimate the ball the Griffey hit off off Pennington cuz that ball off the top of my head was just demolished. Another no one talks about from a lefy is one Mo Vaughn hit. Legit came up just short of the scoreboard out in the bleachers.

#328 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:07 PM

How far did they estimate the ball the Griffey hit off off Pennington cuz that ball off the top of my head was just demolished. Another no one talks about from a lefy is one Mo Vaughn hit. Legit came up just short of the scoreboard out in the bleachers.

They mentioned a couple of other homers in the article, I think - I remember them saying that Griffey's HR derby ball that hit the warehouse was measured at 465 - but I've apparently reached my free article limit, so I can't go back and check.

#329 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 09:33 PM

Henderson AL Player of the Week 

@mikeghg

#330 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 09:51 PM

The Banner explains why the marker on Eutaw Street for Gunnar's 462-foot HR from yesterday doesn't quite reach the one for Jim Thome's 440-footer in 1996.  It's because they started using Statcast distances in 2015, and it measures things differently.

Gunnar Henderson’s 462-foot homer and the confusion of Eutaw Street markers at Oriole Park - The Baltimore Banner

And Babe Ruth lost as many as 75 home runs that were then ruled foul. The rules & tools of the day, etc…

• mdrunning likes this

#331 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:40 PM

Obviously he's not a switch hitter but I get Chipper Jones vibes from Gunnar.

#332 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 06:35 AM

Gunnar with a grand slam coming off AL player of the week. When’s the last time someone won it back to back? 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#333 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:24 AM

Gunnar with a grand slam coming off AL player of the week. When’s the last time someone won it back to back? 

Judge did last July.

https://www.mlb.com/...yer-of-the-week

#334 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:28 AM

Last 5 games... 

21 ab's, 12 hits, 4 homers, 1 double, 10 rbi, 4 k's

Now on pace for 25 homers. 

OPS up to .831.

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 03:41 PM

I'm thinking his 2024 is going to be ridiculous.  He'll have to improve vs lefties obviously, but I think he might just destroy people next year.

#336 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 03:58 PM

I'm thinking his 2024 is going to be ridiculous. He'll have to improve vs lefties obviously, but I think he might just destroy people next year.

Hitting lefties well enough will be the difference in whether I was right about him only being a good reg or wrong and he is a star

#337 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 04:25 PM

Gunner is going to be a perennial AS if he stays healthy, I love this kid's playstyle and attitude. I def don't want to see him in pinstrips or any other AL east uni.

#338 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:42 AM

You watch him at the plate. Then you watch Cowser. Night and day, at least right now.

#339 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:56 AM

You watch him at the plate. Then you watch Cowser. Night and day, at least right now.

Compare Gunnar’s first few weeks of the season to Cowser’s first few weeks in the big leagues, very similar.
  • makoman likes this

#340 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:02 AM

Compare Gunnar’s first few weeks of the season to Cowser’s first few weeks in the big leagues, very similar.

I disagree. The results may have been similar but not the, and I am not sure of the right word here....aura? Henderson, to me has always looked hungry and anxious to go. Couldn't wait for his next at bat. Cowser has more of an afraid deer in the headlights look. Please walk me so I don't have to swing. 

I might be totally off base but its how my eyes see Cowser. He doesn't look the part right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=