412 replies to this topic

#201 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

I will say...  have you ever had a coworker who somehow made everyone else better at their jobs just by being around?  I have, and it's awesome.  I assume that can happen in baseball, too, and I suppose it's possible that Odor is one of those types of people.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#202 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

Yeah iy does feel like the Gunnar promotion is imminent. Probably Westburg and Stowers too.

My son has been saying August 24th for Stowers and Henderson for a few weeks.  Evidently, if a player is called up with less than 45 days left in the season, it does not start the service clock.  

@mikeghg

#203 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

I will say...  have you ever had a coworker who somehow made everyone else better at their jobs just by being around?  I have, and it's awesome.  I assume that can happen in baseball, too, and I suppose it's possible that Odor is one of those types of people.

Dude says we should be paying AJ like 15 this year to do that

#204 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

Backup first base is easily replaceable hence why four guys can practice it and quickly be ready to step in if needed.

Cause they are quickly going to promote these guys right? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#205 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:33 PM

Not so fast, Gunnar.

Anthony Santander went through a pretty serious workout at first base just now. He said he feels good, although he doesn’t have any idea when/if he’ll play that in a game itself

#206 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:35 PM

Dude says we should be paying AJ like 15 this year to do that

Coincidence that everything immediately went to crap once the pies were outlawed?  I think not.

#207 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:36 PM

I'm sure they're not just going through the motions, but can't help but wonder too if this is in part designed to light a fire under Mountcastle. Can't even really bench him now - but now he knows soon they can and will.

#208 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:36 PM

Not so fast, Gunnar.

Anthony Santander went through a pretty serious workout at first base just now. He said he feels good, although he doesn’t have any idea when/if he’ll play that in a game itself

I played first base in an old mans soft ball league.  I better keep my phone on, in case they call. :-P

@mikeghg

#209 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:40 PM

I feel like Ive read Santander has been taking reps at 1b for over a month now. Seriously

#210 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:50 PM

Cause they are quickly going to promote these guys right?

Three of them are already on the team and the other will be next week so… yes?

#211 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:52 PM

My son has been saying August 24th for Stowers and Henderson for a few weeks. Evidently, if a player is called up with less than 45 days left in the season, it does not start the service clock.

It starts the service clock but if you have less than 45 days on the active roster and/or less than 130 at bats you are rookie eligible. So if he comes up Tuesday that leaves 43 days left in the season so if he starts 2023 on the opening day roster he can earn the team a draft pick by finishing in the top 3 in RoY voting.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano, Mike B and 1 other like this

#212 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:53 PM

It starts the service clock but if you have less than 45 days on the active roster and/or less than 130 at bats you are rookie eligible. So if he comes up Tuesday that leaves 43 days left in the season so if he starts 2023 on the opening day roster he can earn the team a draft pick by finishing in the top 3 in RoY voting.

Good info. Thx. Your MiLB is sure better than your taste in films! ;-)

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#213 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:55 PM

But if he starts next year OD in Baltimore, then after next season, we'd only have 4 years of control? Or still 5? Wouldn't we still need to find a way to recoup those 43 days in order to not come up short? Thanks for all the info.

• BobPhelan likes this

#214 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:57 PM

Not so fast, Gunnar.

....and what did I say!

#215 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

I think you'd lose the 7th year of control, but potentially gain a draft pick (assuming he's top 3 ROY).

#216 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

But if he starts next year OD in Baltimore, then after next season, we'd only have 4 years of control? Or still 5? Wouldn't we still need to find a way to recoup those 43 days in order to not come up short? Thanks for all the info.

We would still have 5 after next year

#217 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:58 PM

We would still have 5 after next year

He wouldn't be 43 days shy of 5 after a full year next year?

#218 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Bob!

I think, it will be Tuesday or later then.  I think it is pretty clear that while they might like to succeed this year, they are not going to do anything at a cost going forward.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#219 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:00 PM

You get 6 years of control.  If he spent all of 2023 on the ML roster, then that's 1 year.  Then you'd have control for 5 more years after that, and the 43 days in 2022 wouldn't matter.

The service time game is when you call someone up midway through their first year, so they can spend like 3/4 of the season on the ML roster, but it doesn't count toward the 6 years of control. 

But, yeah, if they wanted to play the service time game with him, then 43 days on the ML roster in 2022 would mean that you have to wait 43 additional days in 2023 before you call him up, so maybe you'd only get like 90 games in 2023 (I think).

#220 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:01 PM

You need 6 full years begore you become a FA. Its why teams wait til late Apr when they essentially steal the first year from a player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=