Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 August 2022 - 07:26 AM

14-game hitting streak with a .364/.444/.655 line across those 14 games 

They were talking on the radio yesterday that some scouts think he may be a better prospect than Rutschman.   That is saying something.

• Greg Pappas, BobPhelan and DuffMan like this
@mikeghg

#163 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:22 AM

14-game hitting streak with a .364/.444/.655 line across those 14 games 

He's also doing just fine against lefties now at AAA after struggling in AA. Really promising that it seems like he is just constantly making good adjustments.

[can't find #'s now with splits broken down by level, saw it on twitter today or yesterday]

Edit This is the one I saw

https://mobile.twitt...008291637452803

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, Mackus and 1 other like this

#164 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:28 AM

He's also doing just fine against lefties now at AAA after struggling in AA. Really promising that it seems like he is just constantly making good adjustments.

[can't find #'s now with splits broken down by level, saw it on twitter today or yesterday]

https://twitter.com/...mumk1txxs5JVp3Q
  • makoman likes this

#165 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:48 AM

A fake Twitter account got Roch, and for a minute it was put out there that Gunnar was being called up, Odor DFA’d.

I mean lol, but the funny part is that so many people were willing to believe it IMO.
  • DuffMan likes this

#166 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

A fake Twitter account got Roch, and for a minute it was put out there that Gunnar was being called up, Odor DFA’d.

I mean lol, but the funny part is that so many people were willing to believe it IMO.

A friend sent it to me last night. Knew it was fake immediately.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#167 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:43 AM

Those are the moves a franchise makes if they're trying to win.

No chance it was real.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#168 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:55 AM

Twitter at times can be awful.  Some people have too much time on their hands.

@mikeghg

#169 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:29 AM

So you mean Gunnar isn't going to wear #69 when he's promoted?

#170 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

So you mean Gunnar isn't going to wear #69 when he's promoted?

Well that and I knew Odor wasn’t going anywhere.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#171 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:13 AM

I saw someone on Twitter suggest the O's can call up Gunnar now and then he'd lose his rookie eligibility, taking him out of the running of being top 2 in rookie of the year next year.

#172 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:26 AM

I saw someone on Twitter suggest the O's can call up Gunnar now and then he'd lose his rookie eligibility, taking him out of the running of being top 2 in rookie of the year next year.

I think you actually have to win RoY now to get draft pick compensation since they didn’t agree to an international draft.

#173 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:27 AM

I don't understand the point of that, unless I am misunderstanding something.

If I understand, the point of wanting to avoid top 2 is if you're planning on manipulating time. You want him to be just under 1 year service time at the end of 2023, but if he is top 2 he gets a full year for 2023.

If you call him up now, then sure you may exhaust eligibility, but then he will no doubt have over 1 year service time at the end of 2023. Same result. Unless you call him up now for a while, then somehow you wait till June to call him up next year.

So I don't see why calling him up now would have anything to do with ROY.

#174 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:32 AM

I don't understand the point of that, unless I am misunderstanding something.

If I understand, the point of wanting to avoid top 2 is if you're planning on manipulating time. You want him to be just under 1 year service time at the end of 2023, but if he is top 2 he gets a full year for 2023.

If you call him up now, then sure you may exhaust eligibility, but then he will no doubt have over 1 year service time at the end of 2023. Same result. Unless you call him up now for a while, then somehow you wait till June to call him up next year.

So I don't see why calling him up now would have anything to do with ROY.

If a rookie eligible player starts the year with the team and wins (or top 2 if that’s still the benchmark) the team gets a compensation draft pick for not manipulating service time.
  • makoman likes this

#175 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:38 AM

If a rookie eligible player starts the year with the team and wins (or top 2 if that’s still the benchmark) the team gets a compensation draft pick for not manipulating service time.

Right, but it sounded to me like he was suggesting they would call him up now to avoid a top 2 result next year, which seemed to go to the "top 2 gets a full year of service" aspect. 

But yeah, if he was suggesting that they shouldn't call him up now so they have a chance at that compensation that would make more sense (not that I'd necessarily care about holding him back for that). I forgot about the existence of that compensation so thanks for pointing it out.

An aside, Adley has a real chance at getting a full year this year, especially if Rodriguez is out for a while. 

#176 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:29 PM

Right, but it sounded to me like he was suggesting they would call him up now to avoid a top 2 result next year, which seemed to go to the "top 2 gets a full year of service" aspect. 

But yeah, if he was suggesting that they shouldn't call him up now so they have a chance at that compensation that would make more sense (not that I'd necessarily care about holding him back for that). I forgot about the existence of that compensation so thanks for pointing it out.

An aside, Adley has a real chance at getting a full year this year, especially if Rodriguez is out for a while. 

I think what someone is suggesting (maybe?) is that is you break his rookie status now, THEN hold him out next year outside of a full year of service (which would be into June) then you could guarantee the 6 full years of service starting in 2024 (he couldn't be a top2 RoY).

That would seem like kind of a dick move and the type of blatant manipulation that gets the League in trouble at times.

---------------

I'd guess what they'll do with all 5 guys (Henderson, Westburg, Stowers, Hall and GRod) is that they'll bring them up after 01 SEP. 

THAT will preserve their Rookie status heading into the off-season rankings and they'll have basically 5 guys with a shot at adding a draft pick of 2 for the following year with better opportunity for the award given a little bit of 2022 experience and a full-season of PAs in 2023.

That will also promote the narrative of 'getting better now' by adding these guys to the roster.

It makes little sense to add any of them today, it's all downside with almost no upside. 

There's a lot of upside for Mike Elias by doing what is bolded.

#177 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:34 AM

#178 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:52 AM

That suggests they want to start sitting Mountcastle vs righties, at least some of the time.

It's cool that they're preparing Vavra for that opportunity, but I don't love doing this with the top prospect in baseball if he indeed is as good on the left side of the infield as we keep hearing.

Give some at bats at first to Vavra and/or Adley (or just keep Trey who has hit righties better than lefties this year).

#179 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:39 AM

I don't think Henderson's time at first base has much do with Mountcastle long term, but more of the organizations desire to have its players be versatile.

Henderson seems destined for third base, and that is what elias said in a recent interview.

@mikeghg

#180 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:43 AM

Off topic but speaking of platoons I wonder if the McKenna/Mullins platoon is a thing for the forseeable future. Seems like it may be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=