401 replies to this topic

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:54 PM

After a good July, sputtering badly in August. Hopefully he can turn it around a bit to end the year and push his OPS back above .700.

Wanted to quote this because his OPS was around .650 when I posted this. A month later he ended his Aberdeen stint at .775. Quite the push .

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#122 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:16 PM

A+: .230 (.775), 34 R, 16 doubles, 3 triples, 9 HR, 35 RBI, 40 BB, 11 SB

13.8% walk rate

30.1% strikeout rate

.202 ISO

109 wRC+

A: .312 (.944), 30 R, 11 doubles, 1 triple, 8 HR, 39 RBI, 14 BB, 5 SB

8.9% walk rate

29.3% strikeout rate

.262 ISO

147 wRC+

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

• Mike B likes this

#124 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:49 AM

Top Orioles infield prospect Gunnar Henderson, a former first round draft choice, has hired @borascorp

#125 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:59 AM

MASN: An O’s prospect’s unique approach to help improve his offense

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 09:57 AM

40 ab's, .861 OPS

12 bb's, 10 k's

4 games at SS, 8 games at 3rd, 1 game at 2nd.

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:36 PM

He's had a great +/- 100 ab's, and his next 100 ab's could be a struggle...   but I'd like to see him moved to AAA. 

He's splitting time at 3rd and SS, but it's largely 3rd that he's playing. 

You can point to the 22 k's, but he's got 31 bb's, and he's even stolen 11 bases.  That screams that he's ready to move up. 

Prudent move would be not to have him to the bigs until after you gain the additional year of control next year, but if you told me you were adding him to the ML roster tomorrow (know he's not on the 40); I wouldn't complain at all. 

Wouldn't expect him to productive in the bigs yet, but it would be fun watching.  

#128 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:41 PM

Another month to evaluate at AA. No need to rush. If he continues to hit he can play the 2nd half at AAA. Best case scenario has him in Baltimore May of next year. See no scenario where it is before then.

#129 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:43 PM

Btw his on base streak to start the year just ended in a 7 inning game

#130 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2022 - 07:00 AM

He's had a great +/- 100 ab's, and his next 100 ab's could be a struggle... but I'd like to see him moved to AAA.

He's splitting time at 3rd and SS, but it's largely 3rd that he's playing.

You can point to the 22 k's, but he's got 31 bb's, and he's even stolen 11 bases. That screams that he's ready to move up.

Prudent move would be not to have him to the bigs until after you gain the additional year of control next year, but if you told me you were adding him to the ML roster tomorrow (know he's not on the 40); I wouldn't complain at all.

Wouldn't expect him to productive in the bigs yet, but it would be fun watching.

The only thing the 22 strikeouts point to is an outstanding 17.5% strikeout rate. He’s basically cut his strikeouts in half and doubled his walks at the same time. The only thing he has left to prove is if he can hit pitches in the outside portion of the zone, according to Eric Longenhagen most of his contact has been on the inner half of the zone.

I don’t know if I’ve ever been this impressed by a prospect at this age and showing this obvious of an improvement from the year before. It may not happen as soon as we’d like but he’ll be in AAA for at least half the season which is fantastic.
  • Mackus likes this

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 07:12 AM

I thought Gunnar was a candidate to struggle a bit this year based on some of the numbers last year and being 20 at AA. Surprised in the best way with some of the improvements he has made a month plus into the season. Again, tracking to be a Top 15 prospect in all of baseball.

• BobPhelan likes this

#132 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:20 AM

Top Orioles infield prospect Gunnar Henderson, a former first round draft choice, has hired @borascorp

In other words, we should appreciate him for the few years he's here, before heeding his agents advice and leaving for free agency.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#133 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:23 AM

In other words, we should appreciate him for the few years he's here, before heeding his agents advice and leaving for free agency.

Hiring Boras makes it feel pretty likely that he won't be amenable to an early-career extension.  Very few Boras guys have gone for such a deal.  Still, assuming he's not up until next May or later, he won't be a free agent until we're heading into 2030.  So no need to prepare your goodbyes just yet.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and BSLRoseKatz like this

#134 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

They will manage it the way they always do.  He will play here at least 6.75 years.

@mikeghg

#135 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:20 AM

Hiring Boras makes it feel pretty likely that he won't be amenable to an early-career extension.  Very few Boras guys have gone for such a deal.  Still, assuming he's not up until next May or later, he won't be a free agent until we're heading into 2030.  So no need to prepare your goodbyes just yet.

I understand. My comment was meant to say that we shouldn't expect him to be a career Oriole

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#136 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:29 AM

Not many career-X team guys anymore.

#137 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:37 AM

Not many career-X team guys anymore.

Second contract guys are more common though. They might eventually get to FA or be traded but we see 2nd contracts or  extensions with the initial team a decent amount. Or at least it feels that way. The thing is I don't want to take the odds on paying the majority of big league players past 31 anyway. Yeah, if he comes up at 21 and he hits FA at 27 or 28 you lose 3 or 4 likely prime years but it's not the end of the world. The days of the 90's and '00 where you find value in 30+ yr old FAs is gone.

• weird-O and makoman like this

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:14 AM

MASN: Elias on Henderson being "flagship aspect" of player development's work with hitters

https://www.masnspor...rk-with-hitters

#139 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:22 AM

MASN: Elias on Henderson being "flagship aspect" of player development's work with hitters
https://www.masnspor...rk-with-hitters

How soon before we see him in Norfolk.

Also the good vibes talking about Henderson in that article were replaced with disgust when they mentioned Harvey and possibly calling him up after the ASB.

#140 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:30 AM

How soon before we see him in Norfolk.

Also the good vibes talking about Henderson in that article were replaced with disgust when they mentioned Harvey and possibly calling him up after the ASB.

Henderson likely gets the call soon. There are guys behind him at A+ who also are looking to move up. Prieto for sure. Norby is pretty much ready when he returns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=