#221 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:07 PM

It is my hope that the Orioles start signing guys like Adley and Henderson early, like the Braves just did with Michael Harris.  Stop playing games and lock good players down early.  It winds up being cheaper, in the long run.

@mikeghg

#222 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:20 PM

Not likely to happen with Gunnar since he’s repped by Boras but I agree.

#223 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:23 PM

But if he starts next year OD in Baltimore, then after next season, we'd only have 4 years of control? Or still 5? Wouldn't we still need to find a way to recoup those 43 days in order to not come up short? Thanks for all the info.

Nah he could’ve been up May 1st and still had 5 years of control left after 2023.

Also, to be eligible for the draft pick thing players have to be on at least two of the big three top 100 lists (Pipeline, BA, BP). O’s could have as many as five shots at it next year.

#224 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:29 PM

Nah he could’ve been up May 1st and still had 5 years of control left after 2023.

Also, to be eligible for the draft pick thing players have to be on at least two of the big three top 100 lists (Pipeline, BA, BP). O’s could have as many as five shots at it next year.

Thats stupid

• BobPhelan likes this

#225 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:31 PM

Thanks guys. Out of likes.

#226 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 01:52 PM

Thats stupid

I guess the purpose is to discourage service time manipulation, and presumably you only do that with the top guys, not guys like Jahmai Jones.

#227 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:15 PM

I never will understand the whole service time nonsense. 5 or 6 years. Good grief so much can happen in that amount of time. We are (were?) in a playoff chase. If there are guys on the farm who can help then get their butts up here.

#228 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:25 PM

I never will understand the whole service time nonsense. 5 or 6 years. Good grief so much can happen in that amount of time. We are (were?) in a playoff chase. If there are guys on the farm who can help then get their butts up here.

I agree that playoff chase tips the scales against the service time decision for anyone you think can help.  But its pretty easy to understand why teams do it when they aren't in a race or early in a season.  Two or three weeks at the very beginning of a guy's career versus an entire season in their prime is usually an easy call.  Those two or three weeks plus six weeks this season when the benefit he provides could mean the one-game difference in a tight race certainly is more debatable and something I'd be fine with sacrificing if you think Henderson improves your team (or Hall or Rodriguez for that matter).

#229 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:52 PM

Worked out well with Manny 10 years ago. But they weren't quite the miserly tightwads back then that they are now.

#230 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:54 PM

I agree that playoff chase tips the scales against the service time decision for anyone you think can help.  But its pretty easy to understand why teams do it when they aren't in a race or early in a season.  Two or three weeks at the very beginning of a guy's career versus an entire season in their prime is usually an easy call.  Those two or three weeks plus six weeks this season when the benefit he provides could mean the one-game difference in a tight race certainly is more debatable and something I'd be fine with sacrificing if you think Henderson improves your team (or Hall or Rodriguez for that matter).

Just what I was getting at.

#231 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:51 PM

I thought Mountcastle had 3 really good AB’s today.

#232 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:02 PM

So we’re back to moral victories. Cool.

All his splits are bad but I can appreciate he feasts on Canadian cuisine.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#233 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:02 PM

Ryan and Austin are expendable at this point. They shouldn’t be blocking anyone.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#234 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:16 PM

So we’re back to moral victories. Cool.

All his splits are bad but I can appreciate he feasts on Canadian cuisine.

Lol, fair.

#235 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 10:47 AM

He looks about 12 years old.

D9xx11JXoAYUugf.jpg

Gunnar in 2019.

#236 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:27 AM

Adley after 13 games: .137/.228/.196

Gunnar after 13 games: .304/.360/.457

she/her

#237 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:58 PM

Given that he only has 67 at bats thus far there shouldn't be any problem keeping him under the at bats limit to maintain rookie status for next year. The only way that would be an issue is if the O's go on some incredible run and are in the playoff race right to the end. Which would be a good thing!

#238 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:27 PM

Henderson hitting leadoff today.

@mikeghg

#239 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:02 PM

68 more at bats before he's not a rookie, with 16 games to go...  the O's may have timed it right.

#240 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 September 2022 - 04:57 PM

68 more at bats before he's not a rookie, with 16 games to go...  the O's may have timed it right.

Since we are mostly dead anyway, give him 67 more at bats then pull the plug. By then we will be mathematically eliminated. Or if not then good grief go for it and who cares about some extra draft pick possibility for next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=