329 replies to this topic

#141 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:38 PM

This is worst case scenario thinking. As a best case, there's still a decent chance for Diaz and Kremer to be valuable at ML level, and then you've got Bannon as a potential major leaguer and the possibility that Pop comes back.

We waited until the very last minute to trade Manny. I think with context of the trade timing we did OK.

Pop isnt coming back. He's got a high ERA but some of his peripherals are ok. Plus Miami isn't in contention. Ive always liked to Bannon to some extent but its got to be less than 50/50 he's more than a AAAA guy. There is still hope for Kremer but in what role? Obviously the start to '21 was super disappointing. Diaz we just don't have any idea and probably won't this year. He'll be 25 in Oct and possibly will still not have had a ML AB. You cant tell me DD could not have secured a higher tier prospect. He didnt need to get 3 or 4 other guys thrown into the deal. When you're trading a 25 yr old MVP caliber player you have to get a damn near sure thing back. At least 1 guy that even if he doesn't hit near his ceiling is still a solid ML player. DD didnt have to wait until July either. He had that whole offseason and was fielding offers then.

#142 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:15 PM

When you're trading a 25 yr old MVP caliber player you have to get a damn near sure thing back. At least 1 guy that even if he doesn't hit near his ceiling is still a solid ML player. DD didnt have to wait until July either. He had that whole offseason and was fielding offers then.

Diaz was kind of that guy. He was a top 50 guy and was always thought of as a high floor kind of guy (lately his ceiling has gotten a lot lower). In 2018 he wasn't constantly hurt all the time. 

I think Lux was also on the radar. He wasn't ranked as high as Diaz at the time I don't think, ended up being a top 5 in MLB prospect. But he hasn't shown he can hit MLB pitching yet. Walker Buehler was their top prospect and was a name thrown around, but he was in the rotation and they were trying to win. Verdugo would have ended up a better pick if available, he was also higher ranked than Diaz and is currently doing well. Dustin May would have worked, but Diaz was higher ranked at the time. Yadier Alvarez or Jeren Kendall would have been a disaster. Keibert Ruiz? Mitch White? Meh. 

We agree that Manny should have been traded way earlier.

#143 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:34 PM

This is worst case scenario thinking. As a best case, there's still a decent chance for Diaz and Kremer to be valuable at ML level, and then you've got Bannon as a potential major leaguer and the possibility that Pop comes back. 

We waited until the very last minute to trade Manny. I think with context of the trade timing we did OK. 

Yeah you can complain about everything leading up to 2018 and those are perfectly valid but the return for Manny was 66 regular season games of him + the postseason and there's no point discussing Diaz/Kremer/etc if you don't acknowledge that  

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:49 PM

Yeah you can complain about everything leading up to 2018 and those are perfectly valid but the return for Manny was 66 regular season games of him + the postseason and there's no point discussing Diaz/Kremer/etc if you don't acknowledge that  

I think that may be the right way are looking at it, but I think it is also fair to remember it is the Dodgers and money is never an obstacle.  Had Manny not acted like a total jackass in his time with the Dodgers, he probably would have still been there and the return would have been more embarassing.

@mikeghg

#145 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:13 PM

I think that may be the right way are looking at it, but I think it is also fair to remember it is the Dodgers and money is never an obstacle.  Had Manny not acted like a total jackass in his time with the Dodgers, he probably would have still been there and the return would have been more embarassing.

I mean money wasn't an obstacle for the Padres either but I don't think we're judging the trade on how he's done as a Padre so I don't see why it'd be different if the Dodgers did it 

• Biggsy likes this

#146 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

Rehabbing at AA this week. 

#147 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:22 PM

I don't really understand why he needs to rehab at AA as opposed to going straight to AAA, but good that he's back playing.

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#148 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

2 for 5 with a homer and a walk last night at Bowie.

#149 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

I feel like he's been rehabbing in Bowie for 10 years now.

#150 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:17 PM

Back to AAA starting Tuesday.

#151 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:50 AM

0 for 11, 1 for his last 14.  Let's go. 

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

0 for 11, 1 for his last 14. Let's go.

Barely a prospect. Know thats tough to swallow.

#153 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:57 AM

Barely a prospect. Know thats tough to swallow.

I don't care about how he was obtained aspect (getting something out of that trade). And I'm not overly down on him facing multiple injuries. He's still young enough. Talent is there.   But I am on-board with, it's time for him to consistently stay in the lineup and produce (or not).  For me, he's easily still one of our better prospects overall. 

#154 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

I don't care about how he was obtained aspect (getting something out of that trade). And I'm not overly down on him facing multiple injuries. He's still young enough. Talent is there.   But I am on-board with, it's time for him to consistently stay in the lineup and produce (or not).  For me, he's easily still one of our better prospects overall. 

I guess it depends on your definition of a prospect. To me a big part of it is being able to actually stay on the field and produce. He is lacking in both aspects.

#155 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

Nothing would please me more than to be wrong btw. An OF of Hays, Mullins, and Diaz at full health and near their potential is a great foundation for the next 4 or 5 years.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of a prospect. To me a big part of it is being able to actually stay on the field and produce. He is lacking in both aspects.

He's still 24, and he's been productive at the AA level.  People that see him like his skill set.  
Maybe it comes together, maybe it doesn't.   No real reason to bury him imo.   But is on him, to go and produce and earn his way up. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#157 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

He's only lacking in one of those aspects. But either could be disqualifying.

He's clearly still a prospect. It's hot take madness to say otherwise. Being a prospect doesn't mean he'll ever be successful in the majors. But to go from prospect to non-prospect you need to either stagnate in lower minors (like DJ Stewart and Cody Sedlock did, DJ at least rebuilt himself a bit) or flop repeatedly in the upper minors or majors (like Chance Sisco or Mullins did, Mullins rebuilt himself as well).

If Diaz sucks all year at AAA he'll be close to that. But he's not there yet and won't be fully there even if he has a bad 2021, IMO.
  • makoman likes this

#158 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

I think he still has a chance.   I really don’t get too concerned over how high some rank prospects in our system.  I think if history has taught us anything is, that some of the can’t miss guys, will miss, by a wide margin and some that people write off, or run down will make it.  As you said, Diaz is only 24, and I would bring guys like Jones and him up at the next surge in production.  Bring them up on a confident stretch.   I watched a few Norfolk games last week and he seemed to still be running gingerly.  I hope he is totally healthy.

@mikeghg

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:15 AM

He's only lacking in one of those aspects. But either could be disqualifying.

He's clearly still a prospect. It's hot take madness to say otherwise. Being a prospect doesn't mean he'll ever be successful in the majors. But to go from prospect to non-prospect you need to either stagnate in lower minors (like DJ Stewart and Cody Sedlock did, DJ at least rebuilt himself a bit) or flop repeatedly in the upper minors or majors (like Chance Sisco or Mullins did, Mullins rebuilt himself as well).

If Diaz sucks all year at AAA he'll be close to that. But he's not there yet and won't be fully there even if he has a bad 2021, IMO.

Its not as much of a hot take as you think it is.

#160 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:26 AM

I just don't get the part about "only 24" and still a prospect. Good grief at what age do you start to worry? 25, 30?  An even decent player should be in the majors by the time they are 24. IMO of course...lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=