329 replies to this topic

#121 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

Seems like I only hear about this guy for the wrong reasons. Struggling, injured, etc.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#122 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

He hit very well at Bowie as a 22 y/o (807 vs 677 league avg) the last time he played. Not his fault 2020 was a washout. The injuries certainly are a concern, multiple soft tissue injuries of my memory serves. Not a string of freak injuries which you'd expect to subside.

#123 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

Austin Hays 2.0. He can still be something.

#124 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

Don't agree there at all, but '21 can't be a lost injury filled campaign.

You might be too invested in getting something back for Machado. DD f'ed up that trade badly. Should've made sure he secured a top tier prospect even if there wasn't much else thrown in.

#125 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

Austin Hays 2.0. He can still be something.

Maybe the same bat. Maybe. He's not going to be the quality defender Hays is.

#126 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Maybe the same bat. Maybe. He's not going to be the quality defender Hays is.

He’s pretty solid in a corner with a great arm.

#127 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

Diaz can walk, which makes him a very different bat from Hays, IMO. He doesn't need to be great either at contact or power to have value. Merely good at everything, which seems to be his profile, increases the floor (while lowering the ceiling).
  • BobPhelan likes this

#128 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

Diaz can walk, which makes him a very different bat from Hays, IMO. He doesn't need to be great either at contact or power to have value. Merely good at everything, which seems to be his profile, increases the floor (while lowering the ceiling).

I just meant in terms of an outfielder who’s biggest issue is staying healthy. ~.800 OPS

#129 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:30 PM

Any updates at all on this guy.

#130 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:34 PM

Haven’t heard anything

#131 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:47 PM

His outlook as a prospect is fading quick....

#132 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:21 AM

I think it is best to just not worry about him.  IMO, he still has time to become a major league player and maybe a good one, but right now he is not in the picture.

@mikeghg

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,328 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:27 AM

I agree Mike.

He had an opportunity with a couple of months of AAA production to be up and playing in the bigs..  Right now he has to get healthy and produce in AAA the remainder of this year.  He does that, and looks good next Spring, he can be back in the picture.

#134 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

I agree Mike.

He had an opportunity with a couple of months of AAA production to be up and playing in the bigs..  Right now he has to get healthy and produce in AAA the remainder of this year.  He does that, and looks good next Spring, he can be back in the picture.

I know some get frustrated with players who spend a lot of time on the IL, but I usually follow them a little closer.  I know, the player, especially one on the cusp of the highest level have to be far more frustrated than the fans.

I think you are right, Diaz has to use the rest of this year to get healthy, put up some numbers and make his big run in ST, next year.

He will not be 25, until after the season, so there is still time.

@mikeghg

#135 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:26 AM

I don't think he's lost much luster, still feels like a low ceiling, high floor guy to me.  

I think because he started 0-20 or whatever once we traded for him people have a hard time forgetting that initial impression.  They seem to forget he hit at about an 840 OPS after that slow start to his Bowie career as a 21 y/o, then did it again the next year with an 800 OPS as a 22 y/o during a tremendously bad offensive year for the league before losing last year like everyone else did.

He certainly seems to struggle with soft tissue injuries.  That's concerning, moreso than if it were just a string of freak injuries.  But he has hit basically everywhere he's ever been.  Availability is a skill, and if he can't figure that out then it's just as damning as if he couldn't hit or couldn't field. 

He needs to get healthy and play, but I don't think he needs a lot of time at AAA before earning a shot up in Baltimore.  He will be depending on someone in front of him getting hurt, struggling, or being traded as the OF is already crowded.  He'll have to really crush it once he gets back playing if he's going to squeeze in without someone else opening the door for him.

• Mike B likes this

#136 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:27 AM

At this point, Im figuring he is just a wasted prospect that had potential. So we pretty much gave up Manny for nothing.

If he proves me wrong. then I will owe my error and be a loud supporter of his, but until then, I dont even waste time thinking he is part of the cavalry coming.

#137 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:28 AM

I don't think he's lost much luster, still feels like a low ceiling, high floor guy to me.  

I think because he started 0-20 or whatever once we traded for him people have a hard time forgetting that initial impression.  They seem to forget he hit at about an 840 OPS after that slow start to his Bowie career as a 21 y/o, then did it again the next year with an 800 OPS as a 22 y/o during a tremendously bad offensive year for the league before losing last year like everyone else did.

He certainly seems to struggle with soft tissue injuries.  That's concerning, moreso than if it were just a string of freak injuries.  But he has hit basically everywhere he's ever been.  Availability is a skill, and if he can't figure that out then it's just as damning as if he couldn't hit or couldn't field. 

He needs to get healthy and play, but I don't think he needs a lot of time at AAA before earning a shot up in Baltimore.  He will be depending on someone in front of him getting hurt, struggling, or being traded as the OF is already crowded.  He'll have to really crush it once he gets back playing if he's going to squeeze in without someone else opening the door for him.

This feels right.   Time will tell.  I hope the kid gets his shot and does well.  My concern besides the injuries, is that the Dodgers have the reputation of keeping the players they think are top prospects and they gave up Diaz pretty quickly.

@mikeghg

#138 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:23 PM

Certainly agree we shouldn't be penciling Diaz in for any positions on the MLB roster in the future, but I don't think we were ever doing that.

Diaz has all of this year left before he's even in the position of where someone like DJ Stewart was three years ago.  Diaz still has a pretty clear path to being a useful player that wouldn't feel like coming out of nowhere if he does reach that level.  Maybe this is all just semantics and we're all basically intending to say the same thing.  Bottom line is that I don't think Diaz' is on his last chance and tales of his offensive struggles are exaggerated.  His injury struggles are the major red flag that needs to get corrected.

• makoman likes this

#139 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

At this point, Im figuring he is just a wasted prospect that had potential. So we pretty much gave up Manny for nothing.

If he proves me wrong. then I will owe my error and be a loud supporter of his, but until then, I dont even waste time thinking he is part of the cavalry coming.

This is worst case scenario thinking. As a best case, there's still a decent chance for Diaz and Kremer to be valuable at ML level, and then you've got Bannon as a potential major leaguer and the possibility that Pop comes back. 

We waited until the very last minute to trade Manny. I think with context of the trade timing we did OK. 

• BobPhelan and BSLRoseKatz like this

#140 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:28 PM

Bottom line is that I don't think Diaz' is on his last chance and tales of his offensive struggles are exaggerated.  His injury struggles are the major red flag that needs to get corrected.

Definitely agree with this. He has hit just fine, other than a short blip right after the trade and this year's small sample. I can't remember exactly, but I think they tried to change his swing or his approach or something right after he came to Bowie, if so that would pretty much explain that part. Raw #s don't look great in 2019, but he was good for the league. His #1 problem is health. Time will tell if that will always be a problem or not. It gets more frustrating with each injury though. Kind of like Harvey.

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=