628 replies to this topic

#561 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 04:02 PM

So GRod just won the International League Pitcher of the Month for June. 1.83 ERA. Hes proved he can best AAA hitters. So what do we do here. Its one thing to send him back to AAA once to work on things. You really do not want to have to do it again. Its just a really bad look and it makes you ask a lot of questions if he gets rocked up here a 2nd time. So this is why I would need to think that something is different beyond the stats. We knew when we sent him down he could beat AAA hitters. So has there been improvement to the command. Did he reshape or retool any of his pitches. He has to have secondaries that ML hitters respect. This is something where Id love to have him back in place of Irvin but he has to have made real strides

#562 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 July 2023 - 03:58 PM

So GRod just won the International League Pitcher of the Month for June. 1.83 ERA. Hes proved he can best AAA hitters. So what do we do here. Its one thing to send him back to AAA once to work on things. You really do not want to have to do it again. Its just a really bad look and it makes you ask a lot of questions if he gets rocked up here a 2nd time. So this is why I would need to think that something is different beyond the stats. We knew when we sent him down he could beat AAA hitters. So has there been improvement to the command. Did he reshape or retool any of his pitches. He has to have secondaries that ML hitters respect. This is something where Id love to have him back in place of Irvin but he has to have made real strides

Exactly right. There was a story on FB on how he struck out 12 guys in his last start. Great. But I also commented that it doesn't mean much. We already know he can get minor league hitters out. He's way past proving that. Its getting major leaguers out that matters now and just what has happened over the last month to make the staff think that something has changed. This is clearly a more than the back of the baseball card moment.  Something has to have changed or he'll get the same results he did when he first came up.

But man could we use him if he really has figured something out.

#563 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:19 PM

He can replace Irvin in the rotation. 

If you want to acquire a starter, he can spend the rest of the year in the ML bullpen and add to what we have there. 

#564 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:24 PM

He could replace Irvin and Im confident he wouldnt be worse. Thats not my concern. My concern is him still struggling up here for a 2nd time. The ERA number doesnt matter as much as the staff believing hes made real changes that will eventually lead to success

#565 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 05:05 PM

If it doesn’t work out after bringing him up again move him to the BP and let him gear up for an inning at a time. That will allow him to gain confidence if successful. And trade value. Otherwise there isn’t much else to do but continue to let him learn at the MLB level. He’s clearly graduation AAA. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#566 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 05:35 PM

With Grayson, it’s going to be about how well he’s commanding the strike zone. That’s his litmus test: not some hardware acknowledging his success in AAA. 

#567 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 10:42 PM

I really really really really really really hope they don't use Grayson as an excuse to not acquire pitching help at the deadline.

#568 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 11:20 AM

Grayson Rodriguez will start for the Orioles tomorrow, Brandon Hyde said.

#569 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 11:26 AM

Pretty exciting

#570 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 01:09 PM

Pretty exciting

It wont be if nothing has changed. I hope they have seen real changes.

#571 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 July 2023 - 01:15 PM

I bought tickets for tomorrow when I was there yesterday, so looking forward to seeing Grayson.

@mikeghg

#572 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 02:28 PM

I mean, he has to pitch up here. If he doesn’t have it for a few starts, put him in the pen. Eating up innings in Norfolk isn’t doing anyone any good.
@BSLMikeRandall

#573 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 July 2023 - 04:59 PM

Sorta wish he wasn’t going against LA lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#574 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 05:03 PM

Sorta wish he wasn’t going against LA lol

Hot team. They are throwing him into the fire. THats why I think they really want to see what he gives them the next few starts before the deadline. See if he can be relied upon to start games

#575 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

Hot team. They are throwing him into the fire. THats why I think they really want to see what they give him the next few starts before the deadline. See if he can be relied upon to start games

I think he can be relied upon but I also want the best SP we can add via trade. If they don't add it'll be a big failure of decision-making, IMO, even if it then works out ok in the end. We need to be faut tolerant, and right now the rotation isn't.

Also would add best two RP I can find.

#576 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 07:53 PM

They have to add but you need guys that are going to make an impact in the playoffs. Youre not really adding to make the playoffs youre adding to make an impact in the playoffs. There are no glaring holes that need to be patched up with decent players to get over the hump and in. At least not position wise or SP. If we go after a SP it has to be a guy who is pitching really well. A guy who likely is penciled in as our GM 1 playoff SP. Still think two high lev BP arms may be even more important than that. Playoffs are a different beast. Have the guys on the back end to cover 3, 4, hell even 5 innings if necessary

#577 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:01 PM

If Rodriguez is ready to rock as a starter...great.

I'm not sure how much better than Irvin he is as a starter the rest of 23.

I think he could be a real weapon in relief for the remainder of this year.

No problem with giving him a few starts and seeing if he can get into a groove though.

I'm pretty excited about his starting prospects for 24. That should be fun.
  • Mike B likes this

#578 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:05 PM

No problem with giving him a few starts and seeing if he can get into a groove though.

There is some chance they transition him to more of a RP role at some point down the stretch. It wouldnt change his longterm outlook. Hes still a SP
  • Mike B likes this

#579 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:15 PM

There is some chance they transition him to more of a RP role at some point down the stretch. It wouldnt change his longterm outlook. Hes still a SP

I hope I was clear there.
There is no doubt his future is in the rotation.
  • Mike B likes this

#580 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:16 PM

Maybe they are giving Grayson another chance to make an impact in the rotation, then if he struggles a little, move him to the pen.  I actually think Irvin has been pretty decent since he came back.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=