• Please log in to reply
629 replies to this topic

#601 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:08 PM

Didn't we hear this about Gausman and a slew of others in recent memory? What makes him different?

What do you think Gausman is?
It's not hard to look at Arrieta, Gausman, and Rodriguez and realize how special the arm talents are...
  • makoman likes this

#602 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:43 PM

What do you think Gausman is?
It's not hard to look at Arrieta, Gausman, and Rodriguez and realize how special the arm talents are...

Gausman is great now.

He was not great in Baltimore. They couldn't unlock this Gausman.

#603 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:48 PM

Orioles Gausman is not what you want ideally out of GRod. It fine if thats all you get though. And I think its a fairly safe bet that GRod is at least league avg for his BMore tenure.

#604 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:06 PM

Gausman is great now.

They might have. He was entering his prime.
Regardless you mentioned him...the point is he did become a front end starter. As did Arrieta.
There is no reason to think Rodriguez - a guy with similar talent wont.

And the point about Gausman and Arrieta developing elsewhere is meaningless now...given that the development and coaching staffs have changed for the Orioles.

(Seemingly you were implying past prospects didn't develop here so ie Rodriguez might not as well. If the Orioles had the same development and coaching staff, obviously there would be greater reason to have that question.)

#605 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

They might have. He was entering his prime.
Regardless you mentioned him...the point is he did become a front end starter. As did Arrieta.
There is no reason to think Rodriguez - a guy with similar talent wont.

And the point about Gausman and Arrieta developing elsewhere is meaningless now...given that the development and coaching staffs have changed for the Orioles.

(Seemingly you were implying past prospects didn't develop here so ie Rodriguez might not as well. If the Orioles had the same development and coaching staff, obviously there would be greater reason to have that question.)

That's fair. His story is just starting out in an eerily familiar way, and until I see the next chapters are different I'm going to continue to worry about how it ends up.

#606 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:19 PM

Gausman is great now.

I thought he had 2 seasons including the one where he was traded, where he was great.  Atlanta has a great development system and they gave up on him too.

#607 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 08:37 AM

Law:

Rodriguez had the best performance this year of any pitching prospect in the minors, although it does come with a small caveat — the Orioles are so cautious with their pitchers that Rodriguez didn’t throw more than 89 pitches in any outing all season, or face more than 22 batters (once), so he wasn’t pacing himself to go deeper into starts like most pitchers would. That said, he was untouchable at two levels: In 23 outings, he gave up three runs or more just four times, never walked more than three batters in a game, and struck out at least a third of the batters he faced in 19 of those outings. He’s been up to 101 mph this year with progress on his off-speed stuff, although the fastball is, at least for now, still his best pitch and one that looks like it’ll miss bats in the majors. With D.L. Hall missing most of this year with an elbow issue after a dominant start, Rodriguez stands alone among the Orioles’ pitching prospects, and there really wasn’t another starter anywhere in the minors this year who could boast a performance as good as his.

2021 Prospect of the Year: Royals' Bobby Witt Jr. tops Keith Law's award list – The Athletic

I wonder if Law might have been onto something with this comment from 2021.

#608 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:10 AM

I wonder if Law might have been onto something with this comment from 2021.

Well of course, but that's not a unique point. 

Obviously there is the adjustment to the Majors... and there will also be the adjustment of eventually being asked to go longer, and get through games without your best stuff, etc. 

That's not going to really happen now though, given that they'll still be limiting his innings and pitch count.

That will go up again next year, but I'd imagine there will be some (somewhat flexible) caps there too.

With the average ML start being around 5.1 innings...  he doesn't need to really do anything more than that. Just be efficient with his 100 pitches.

I've really enjoyed watching him since he has come back, and decided to lead with his fastball.

Nice job from Ben McDonald last night pointing to some of the subtle adjustments he's made. 

#609 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:49 AM

6 starts, 35.2 IP, 3.03 ERA since returning from Norfolk.  30 K, 11 BB, 1 HR.

• NewMarketSean and DuffMan like this

#610 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 August 2023 - 09:38 AM

Let's hope that the reset works just as well for Cowser

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#611 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:41 PM

Both before his demotion and after hes had a bit of bad luck with inherited runners scoring as the next guy didnt pick him up. So the ERA both overall and post recall could look a good bit better.

#612 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:05 PM

I can not remember being as excited about an Oriole pitcher since Moose.  We have been waiting for a bona-fide ace for a long time.  He is not there yet, but he has the tools.

I watched the sixth inning last night 3 times.  He gives up a home run and immediately went to a higher level.    Grisham swinging,  Kim Swinging, and Tatis Swinging.  100 MPH in the sixth.  

Sometimes you can see a pitcher grow right in front of you.  That was nasty.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and 1 other like this
@mikeghg

#613 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:08 PM

I can not remember being as excited about an Oriole pitcher since Moose.  We have been waiting for a bona-fide ace for a long time.  He is not there yet, but he has the tools.

I watched the sixth inning last night 3 times.  He gives up a home run and immediately went to a higher level.    Grisham swinging,  Kim Swinging, and Tatis Swinging.  100 MPH in the sixth.  

Sometimes you can see a pitcher grow right in front of you.  That was nasty.

Him and Bradish going forward is really exciting. 

Add one more front-end starter to that, with all of the positional talent; and the window is as open as can be.

• Mike B likes this

#614 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:15 PM

Him and Bradish going forward is really exciting. 

Add one more front-end starter to that, with all of the positional talent; and the window is as open as can be.

I still believe in John Means, too.  Add a top notch starter to those 3 and we really have something.  

@mikeghg

#615 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:02 PM

This is why s easy to believe in him.  You saw the potential in this even when he wasn't as good early.  He's made adjustments and his experience will continue to grow.

Last night is why you believe in the Talent.

LONG way to go for the ACE label and it's more than just performance.

#616 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:11 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles crush Rays, 8-0, behind Grayson Rodriguez and Gunnar Henderson to reach verge of postseason clinch: ‘This is what you dream of’

#617 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:33 AM

Imagine how good he'd look if he had just an OK May.

2.59 ERA since the ASB.

66 IP, 1.06 WHIP, .218 BAA, 61/18 K/BB

#618 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 11:43 AM

GRod can legit get better. Like real room to get better. He still lacks command too often and he can improve his breaking pitches. The potential is not just a #1 but one of the 5 best in baseball.
  • BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#619 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:48 AM

Shaky start to the season but he's a stud.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#620 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:42 AM

Amazing what a different pitcher he is since he was sent down and called back up. No idea what they did with him but the results are stunning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=