628 replies to this topic

#581 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:18 PM

Realistically, they'd probably like to have 6 capable starters just to save some wear and tear on Bradish, Wells, and Kremer as the season goes on. Gibson, Irvin, and Rodriguez will have to eat some innings.

#582 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:24 PM

Realistically, they'd probably like to have 6 capable starters just to save some wear and tear on Bradish, Wells, and Kremer as the season goes on. Gibson, Irvin, and Rodriguez will have to eat some innings.

Maybe they go to the 6 man rotation when the rosters grow by 2 in September.  By that time, maybe we have added a starter or John Means is ready to pitch.

@mikeghg

#583 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:29 PM

I hope I was clear there.
There is no doubt his future is in the rotation.

I understood you and I think its a real possibility. Consider that hes surely on an innings limit anyway. Not sure where he stands on that between AAA and the show.

#584 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:30 PM

Maybe they go to the 6 man rotation when the rosters grow by 2 in September. By that time, maybe we have added a starter or John Means is ready to pitch.

Really can't rely on Means for anything this year.

#585 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:35 PM

The only way this makes sense to me is if they want to get him a few starts before the deadline as a means to further judge how much they need to go after a high end guy. Otherwise I can see calling him up but not starting him against the Dodgers.

#586 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 09:39 PM

The only way this makes sense to me is if they want to get him a few starts before the deadline as a means to further judge how much they need to go after a high end guy. Otherwise I can see calling him up but not starting him against the Dodgers.

I think that's exactly what it is.

#587 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:30 AM

Really can't rely on Means for anything this year.

Probably right, but the Orioles need to let it play out to see if there is a way he can help.  An all men on deck type of thing.

@mikeghg

#588 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:36 AM

I think they made the decision about a week ago.  Grayson threw 3 innings.  I was pretty sure he was coming after that.  I think you are right, it probably is a test.  If he pitches well against the Dodgers, it should provide a big boost of confidence.

@mikeghg

#589 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 July 2023 - 02:14 PM

His arm angle was slightly altered comparing the beginning of the year to his last couple starts in Norfolk. Maybe that was a change he needed to unlock his potential. It's possible his injury affected his mechanics and he needed a bit of a reset.

Attached Files

• BobPhelan, BSLSteveBirrer and mdrunning like this

#590 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 03:38 PM

#591 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:43 PM

Didn't look much different except some extra velocity out the gate.

#592 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:29 AM

Didn't look much different except some extra velocity out the gate.

@AlexFast8

"Some changes I noticed from Grayson Rodriguez yesterday:

- Release closer to 3B

- Season low vert on FF

- Season low VAA on FF

- Less horizontal break on CH

- Just one cutter"

https://twitter.com/...2581280768?s=20

• Orioles Grayson Rodriguez returned from a long stint at Triple-A. While his velocity was the most notable factor during the outing, looking at the entire outing, his velo was up <.5 mph. He did throw his 8 hardest pitches of the season, all in the first inning (likely adrenaline with the recall + the Dodgers?). His fastball actually had 1.5-2” less vertical break (ride) as well. So there’s a slight downtick in Stuff+ here from 122 to 118. What’s helping maintain the stuff score despite a notable drop in carry is a slightly lower release height (1-2”) and added extension (1-2”).

• It also seems like he’s ditched his cutter, cutting the usage from 14% in his April-May MLB starts to just 1% yesterday. Perhaps the most encouraging part of this outing to me is the slider improvement. The pitch averaged 81 mph with 2” vertical break and 13” sweep. Yesterday’s slider had more lift (4” vertical break), a comparable amount of sweep (11”) and more velocity (83mph). FanGraphs Stuff+ here ticked up from 121 to 143. The caution here is just that he only threw 8 of them, so I’ll be monitoring it in his next outing. "

• https://lancebroz.su...ayson-rodriguez

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#593 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:43 AM

<p>
@AlexFast8

"Some changes I noticed from Grayson Rodriguez yesterday:

- Release closer to 3B
- Season low vert on FF
- Season low VAA on FF
- Less horizontal break on CH
- Just one cutter"

https://twitter.com/...2581280768?s=20

• Orioles Grayson Rodriguez returned from a long stint at Triple-A. While his velocity was the most notable factor during the outing, looking at the entire outing, his velo was up <.5 mph. He did throw his 8 hardest pitches of the season, all in the first inning (likely adrenaline with the recall + the Dodgers?). His fastball actually had 1.5-2” less vertical break (ride) as well. So there’s a slight downtick in Stuff+ here from 122 to 118. What’s helping maintain the stuff score despite a notable drop in carry is a slightly lower release height (1-2”) and added extension (1-2”).
    • It also seems like he’s ditched his cutter, cutting the usage from 14% in his April-May MLB starts to just 1% yesterday. Perhaps the most encouraging part of this outing to me is the slider improvement. The pitch averaged 81 mph with 2” vertical break and 13” sweep. Yesterday’s slider had more lift (4” vertical break), a comparable amount of sweep (11”) and more velocity (83mph). FanGraphs Stuff+ here ticked up from 121 to 143. The caution here is just that he only threw 8 of them, so I’ll be monitoring it in his next outing. "
  • https://lancebroz.su...ayson-rodriguez
In your mind, is there any reason to worry about Grayson's eventual big league performance based on what you've seen? It is deeply disturbing to me how often they have had pitchers dominate in the minors only to turn to ash in the majors.

#594 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:46 AM

In your mind, is there any reason to worry about Grayson's eventual big league performance based on what you've seen? It is deeply disturbing to me how often they have had pitchers dominate in the minors only to turn to ash in the majors.

Who did that with this regime though?
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#595 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2023 - 01:17 PM

Absolutely no worry whatsoever.
  • Mike B and Slidemaster like this

#596 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 03:46 PM

Absolutely no worry whatsoever.

There is some concern he isnt a stud. I dont worry hes gonna completely flame out
  • BobPhelan likes this

#597 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:09 PM

There is some concern he isnt a stud. I dont worry hes gonna completely flame out

Exactly. Not going to say “worst case” but lower end result would be a 3/4 SP.

#598 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:31 PM

He's going to be a #2 at worst imo.

I think he makes the leap to a league average 3/4 next year, and takes off from there.

#599 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:42 PM

He's going to be a #2 at worst imo.

I think he makes the leap to a league average 3/4 next year, and takes off from there.

Didn't we hear this about Gausman and a slew of others in recent memory? What makes him different?

#600 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:43 PM

Exactly. Not going to say “worst case” but lower end result would be a 3/4 SP.

I agree with this.  Always a chance a stud prospect doesn't make it, so can't completely rule that out.  But if we're making a pie chart, I think "not an MLB player" is the smallest segment, even smaller than "ace" and the other positive outcomes at least as likely as any of the less exciting outcomes.

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=