#1721 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:50 PM

Shouldn't he be sticking with a cohesive lineup at this point?

Well that would have been the plan except for the injuries. Missing a handful of starters so the prudent thing to do here is to rotate to try and find the key replacement parts. Kinda what I laid out in my last article.

And the problem wasn't just missing some key starters it was that every group was missing a starter.

1. Front line - no Weah and then Pulisic had to miss the Japan game.

2. Midfield - No Musah.

3. Backline - No Richards or Antonee Robinson.

So you could have tried to play the same lineup with the rest of the players for both matches but in this case I think the approach Berhalter is taking is more prudent. But then I don't make the big bucks to make these decisions either!

#1722 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 September 2022 - 01:36 PM

No score so far today, but the effort has looked much better today from the USA.

#1723 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:00 AM

So who else has lowered expectations for Qatar?

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1724 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:01 AM

Working up my thoughts on what's next. Have an article up later today or tomorrow. Bottom line is we are in trouble.

#1725 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

Ok here it is. Tried to lay out the current reality along with some reasons to still have hope.

https://baltimorespo...nt-so-now-what/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mashed Potatoes and DuffMan like this

#1726 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:10 AM

And Reyna to miss the next 10 days, same as it ever was with him...

#1727 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 October 2022 - 08:54 AM

Turner with the clean sheet for Arsenal in their Europa league game yesterday.  Arsenal has a busy schedule with EPL and Europa every week up until the break so Matt should continue to see some game action.

#1728 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:07 AM

Turner with the clean sheet for Arsenal in their Europa league game yesterday.  Arsenal has a busy schedule with EPL and Europa every week up until the break so Matt should continue to see some game action.

He was ok. What got missed by a lot was Steffen was really good in Middlesborough's win on Wednesday. Got a clean sheet and was their MOTM. We need both of them playing every week the rest of the way!

#1729 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:59 AM

Pepi with 4 goals in his last 3 games.  That would be great if he could keep this up heading into next month

#1730 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:55 AM

Pepi with 4 goals in his last 3 games.  That would be great if he could keep this up heading into next month

Yes and Sargent has 7 goals and 2 assists in for Norwich this season.

Pefok has cooled off a ton and only has 1 goal in his last 6 matches.

Ferriera and Dallas FC are in the MLS playoffs so his season is extended at t least one more match.

Going to be interesting to see how many forwards Berhalter takes to Qatar. 

• DuffMan likes this

#1731 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:54 AM

Yes and Sargent has 7 goals and 2 assists in for Norwich this season.

Pefok has cooled off a ton and only has 1 goal in his last 6 matches.

Ferriera and Dallas FC are in the MLS playoffs so his season is extended at t least one more match.

Going to be interesting to see how many forwards Berhalter takes to Qatar. 

Pepi and Sargent for me.

Maybe I am misremembering but I thought that Pefok was a complete nonfactor the last time we used him in WC qualifying.

#1732 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2022 - 12:29 PM

Pepi and Sargent for me.

Maybe I am misremembering but I thought that Pefok was a complete nonfactor the last time we used him in WC qualifying.

He was a non factor and why he didn't get called in. But he was making a case for inclusion with his play in B1. He doesn't fit the general overall tactics but he is also the only big bodied banger we have to put in if you need a late goal.

At this point I would take all 4 - Ferriera, Pepi Sargent, and Pefok

#1733 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:14 AM

Jedi, Musah and Weah all returned to action from injury over the weekend as well.  

#1734 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:01 AM

Jedi, Musah and Weah all returned to action from injury over the weekend as well.  

And Reyna got 20 minutes in Dortmund's UCL match yesterday and had a terrific ball into the area. So as of today the only starter who is still nursing and injury is Chris Richards (and I am not sure Gregg has him starting over Long anyway). Keep our fingers crossed for the next 6 weeks. Right now we are about as healthy as we can be.

Now McKennie looks terrible so I think he is in danger of losing his starting spot. Its not all him because Juventus is a hot mess right now. Lost yesterday to Hafia....WTF????

#1735 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 October 2022 - 01:29 PM

And Reyna got 20 minutes in Dortmund's UCL match yesterday and had a terrific ball into the area. So as of today the only starter who is still nursing and injury is Chris Richards (and I am not sure Gregg has him starting over Long anyway). Keep our fingers crossed for the next 6 weeks. Right now we are about as healthy as we can be.

Now McKennie looks terrible so I think he is in danger of losing his starting spot. Its not all him because Juventus is a hot mess right now. Lost yesterday to Hafia....WTF????

Is Reyna a starter, can he be counted on as a starter?  Immensely talented with plenty of potential but staying healthy has been a problem for him.  Would he work better (at least for this tournament) as one of the first guys in off the bench.  With his ability I could see him having a book impact coming on in the 60-70 minute range of the game.

#1736 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:21 PM

Reyna is starting material but there are two issues at play here. One good one and one not so good one.

The not so good:

At this point its hard to have him start a match since he is so injury prone. Pre rule changes you'd never risk starting him during a critical match (like the WC duh....lol) since you could end up having to use a sub in the first half. Now with 5 subs that risk has dropped off a lot. But he also isn't even 70 minutes match fit at this point so that pretty much keeps him from starting the first WC match.

The good:

Just where would you start him and whom would you sit? There isn't a way to play Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, Aaronson, Musah, and McKennie. UNLESS we did one of two things:

1. Move Reyna to the #9.

2. Change formation to a 2 man forward line.

Neither of these two things Greg has shown any interest in, at least not to this point.

Now the discussion about starting is a way different animal at the WC than a single match. Minutes have to be allocated carefully with the goal being to advance out of your group first and foremost but also to have a reasonable and fresh lineup for the first knockout stage match. With few exceptions (Jedi being one and perhaps Adams and Zimmerman) most nobody is going to start all 3 group stage matches and certainly not play close to 270 minutes.

So its hard to say right now and I will have some more detailed thoughts about this in my pre WC articles.

#1737 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 04:49 AM

I still think McKennie should be starting. Besides being one of our most talented players he also brings the most swagger and aggression onto the pitch. Juventus is cursed at the moment, he's fit, their wretched team form doesn't factor in to me.
  • DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@DaKittenz

#1738 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:40 AM

The Ringer: Countdown to Qatar: How Prepared Is the USMNT for the World Cup?

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#1739 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:16 PM

That was a very good read, Chris, thanks for posting. The highest level I coached at was U18 premier which is nothing like this. And even at that level, most families, have no idea the amount of work that goes in to prepare a team for a tournament. There is just so much to do beyond the actual soccer training.

I encourage everybody in here to read that. Good stuff!

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#1740 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 October 2022 - 09:43 AM

I still think McKennie should be starting. Besides being one of our most talented players he also brings the most swagger and aggression onto the pitch. Juventus is cursed at the moment, he's fit, their wretched team form doesn't factor in to me.

There's some chatter he's on his way out and could find his way to Tottenham in January
  • Mashed Potatoes and BSLSteveBirrer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=