2058 replies to this topic

#1761 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 09:31 AM

I get what you are saying BUT what Gregg did isn't close to what the Reyna family did. Not even close and here's why.

1. Reyna screwed off in training and gave his team a big eff you. This is unacceptable on any level and none of the rest of this happens without his hissy fit. Well maybe nothing further happens but more on that in a minute.
2. The team collectively dealt with this and put it behind them.
3. Gregg goes to a leadership forum whose written confidentiality rules allow leaders to use real world life situations to help them learn how to handle this things from a strong leadership perspective. This was actually the exact kind of example that should be used in this type of situation. Unfortunately, someone who had agreed to the forum rules violated those rules and leaked Gregg's example. Now also recall Gregg did not use any names in his story but after the fact it wasn't hard for the media to put 2 and 2 together.
4. So the whole mess then becomes public.

BUT

5. The Reyna's threatening emails sent to the USSF were during the WC before all the mess with Gio became public. That to me is childish to the max, over an incident that was over 30 years ago, and in which the entire situation was something they had no business sticking their nose in. Even if Gregg hadn't used that example at the leadership forum those emails were going to get discovered. Shame on the Reyna family top to bottom.

Overall I agree, but, you're missing the earliest part of the story where Berhalter told Gio he basically wouldn't have any significant role during the World Cup before they got there, which precipitated his (inexcusable) lack of effort in training. That was stupid a stupid decision for one of your most talented players.
  • DuffMan and CantonJester like this
@DaKittenz

#1762 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 January 2023 - 09:49 AM

Overall I agree, but, you're missing the earliest part of the story where Berhalter told Gio he basically wouldn't have any significant role during the World Cup before they got there, which precipitated his (inexcusable) lack of effort in training. That was stupid a stupid decision for one of your most talented players.

What was stupid? Telling him or making that decision in the first place?

1. Gio had not shown well for the Nats during Qualifying and was continually hurt. He had only recently come back to much playing time for Dortmund. In fact Gio even admitted he had some thigh tightness at the start of the camp.

2. His two main competitors (Weah and Aaronson) were both starting for their clubs and playing well. Weah is better wide and faster and comes back on defense more than Gio. Aaronson has much more energy and ability to disrupt the opponents than Gio and is a solid player in the attacking third.

3. Gio is better at set pieces then either of those and is better around the box than either of those.

4. So if you want more attack do you take out McKennie? Who is pretty dangerous around the box as well although not the creator that Gio could be but Wes is much better in the air.

5. Do you take out Musah who is by far our best player in transitioning from the back through the midfield?

So I don't think its anywhere near a slam dunk that Gio was going to start at all and any sub role would be dictated by the game situation. So Gregg told Gio straight up. Gio had two ways to respond.

1. Be an entitled brat and throw a hissy fit.

2. Work even harder in training to show he was ready and fit enough to help the team and then work his butt off when he got on the field.

Do I think Gio is one of our best players today? No I don't.

Do I think he should have been in Qatar? Yes.

Do I think Gio has the potential to be great? Yes I think he may turn out to be one of the top USMNT players ever but he's not there yet.

I certainly get the flip side that many think Gio should have been, if not a starter, the first man off the bench needing a goal. We can discuss all day whether or not Gregg's view of the squad and their usage was good, bad, or mediocre.

But lets get past that part for a minute. That is what Gregg (and his staff decided). Now the question I ask on here is given that scenario what would you have done as the coach:

1. Tell Gio what your expectations were and what you saw as his role at the WC?

2. Not say anything and just see what happens?

I don't think either is wrong. I prefer #1 as a player I always wanted to know where I stood.

#1763 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 11:24 AM

Maybe it's just me, but whether it was supposed to be off the record or not, it's pretty weird to me that he was airing dirty laundry of the current team at some "leadership conference" before the World Cup was even over. This was like a week after their loss, about the same time they could have been in the quarterfinals, so it certainly wasn't scheduled in advance. What was the point? What did he have to gain by doing this and talking about this? Especially since, as noted, anyone paying attention would know who he was talking about.  

Not absolving the Reyna side at all, and really the two things aren't exactly related as the Reyna stuff happened before this became public, it just feels like a poor decision. 

• CantonJester likes this

#1764 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 11:44 AM

Berhalter burned his bridges with the USMNT by selling out his player the way he did. The confidentiality crap is nonsense: as the coach of the USMNT he has to know whatever comes out of his mouth is a potential bombshell news story to a very captive audience, given the WC was in-season. Just a recklessly idiotic thing to do. 

And he was outdone by his idiot bestie, Claudio Reyna. These guys are fools. It’s probably why they were such good friends for so long? 

#1765 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:00 PM

Not absolving the Reyna side at all, and really the two things aren't exactly related as the Reyna stuff happened before this became public, it just feels like a poor decision. 

Yeah, though they share an obvious connection, these really are two very separate issues. It goes without saying that there’s no defense for the actions of anyone in the Reyna family.

But Berhalter was totally wrong to use what had just happened as an example at that conference. I don’t care about confidentiality agreements, because as we saw they aren’t worth a damn. And it wasn’t going to take any amount of sleuthing to know who he was talking about, so leaving the name out is irrelevant. Berhalter should have known better.

Now what happens going forward? I’m not sure how solid the ground was Berhalter stood on already, but after this if he is to continue then he might have some work ahead of him to gain the trust of his players.

#1766 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, though they share an obvious connection, these really are two very separate issues. It goes without saying that there’s no defense for the actions of anyone in the Reyna family.

But Berhalter was totally wrong to use what had just happened as an example at that conference. I don’t care about confidentiality agreements, because as we saw they aren’t worth a damn. And it wasn’t going to take any amount of sleuthing to know who he was talking about, so leaving the name out is irrelevant. Berhalter should have known better.

Now what happens going forward? I’m not sure how solid the ground was Berhalter stood on already, but after this if he is to continue then he might have some work ahead of him to gain the trust of his players.

Leadership includes planning for the worst case scenario. In this case, that your comments might get leaked.

#1767 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:48 PM

Leadership includes planning for the worst case scenario. In this case, that your comments might get leaked.

Better leadership includes avoiding the worst case scenario by not leaking internal matters in the first place, regardless of any promise of secrecy. I can understand where he may have been emotionally at that moment. While I'd say you could call the overall result a success, he was fresh off the disappointment of being knocked out of the Cup. And obviously he had just been extorted by people he had considered close friends, so that had to have been pretty hurtful. But in his position you have to see the bigger picture.

What is Berhalter's official status right now? Is he even the head coach, because I read his contract expired 12/31? Don't they have a couple friendlies later this month?

#1768 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 January 2023 - 02:10 PM

Better leadership includes avoiding the worst case scenario by not leaking internal matters in the first place, regardless of any promise of secrecy. I can understand where he may have been emotionally at that moment. While I'd say you could call the overall result a success, he was fresh off the disappointment of being knocked out of the Cup. And obviously he had just been extorted by people he had considered close friends, so that had to have been pretty hurtful. But in his position you have to see the bigger picture.

What is Berhalter's official status right now? Is he even the head coach, because I read his contract expired 12/31? Don't they have a couple friendlies later this month?

No Berhalter is not the head coach as of January 1st.

On January 4th USSF appointed Anthony Hudson interim coach to run the January camp and two friendlies.

They have also said that Berhalter will be considered for the permanent position as they continue their search and evaluation for candidates.

#1769 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Pulisic out for up to 2 months with a knee injury, ugh.  There goes any chance of him moving to a new club.

#1770 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:33 AM

Pulisic out for up to 2 months with a knee injury, ugh.  There goes any chance of him moving to a new club.

Correct, but given all the injuries Chelsea had already I don't think Pulisic was leaving before the summer window anyway, Still sucks.

#1771 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 05:42 AM

Even when he comes back you have to think Felix is ahead of him on the depth chart
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@DaKittenz

#1772 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:54 AM

Correct, but given all the injuries Chelsea had already I don't think Pulisic was leaving before the summer window anyway, Still sucks.

With the Mudryk signing Pulisic definitely needs to find a new home where he can play regularly.
@DaKittenz

#1773 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:29 PM

326191326_714590640039122_16020022361829

#1774 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:36 PM

It seems odd to me that the National team matches begin right away when the World Cup literally ended a month ago.

#1775 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 January 2023 - 06:14 PM

It seems odd to me that the National team matches begin right away when the World Cup literally ended a month ago.

Chris, we always have a camp in January. The focus, and this time is no different, is to bring in a bunch of new/young guys that either aren't playing with their Euro teams or are MLS players who haven't started their preseason yet. Then sprinkled with a few regulars to show the kids the ropes. Its really a great way to infuse new talent.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1776 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 January 2023 - 12:59 PM

U20 Camp starts this month too and their WC is this summer. For those who don't follow the youth teams much these guys are good. Very good. They won the CONCACAF championship last year.

https://www.ussoccer...n-bradenton-fla

#1777 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:11 PM

U20 Camp starts this month too and their WC is this summer. For those who don't follow the youth teams much these guys are good. Very good. They won the CONCACAF championship last year.

https://www.ussoccer...n-bradenton-fla

Just want to mention that this team could also include Paxten Aaronson if he wasn't already being included in the senior team! 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1778 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:26 PM

Just want to mention that this team could also include Paxten Aaronson if he wasn't already being included in the senior team! 

He isn't the only one either. Slonina for example is also eligible. 

• DuffMan likes this

#1779 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:44 PM

Brian McBride has been let go as the GM. I think this makes it even harder for Berhalter to get resigned.

#1780 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:25 PM

Rumors flying that the US is looking hard at Jose Mourhinho! Mixed feelings there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=