#1741 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

There's some chatter he's on his way out and could find his way to Tottenham in January

Juventus is a hot mess right now and starting to look like the will make some changes just because they need to do something.....the status guo there isn't working.

#1742 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 07:04 AM

There's some chatter he's on his way out and could find his way to Tottenham in January

Inshallah!
@DaKittenz

#1743 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 06:27 PM

Goal.com: Ultimate USMNT Dream Team

https://www.goal.com...5e028dbab4d465b

#1744 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 January 2023 - 03:19 PM

I have not followed anything MNT-related since the Cup. Can someone fill me in real quick?

https://twitter.com/...361848703995909

#1745 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 04:34 PM

Did they just want to not renew his contract anyway and are looking for a better reason not to?

#1746 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:04 AM

Ugh, what a mess.  I didn't want Berhalter back but this isn't needed.

Now here we are into the new year and we don't have a HC.  This team will be competing in a major tournament in a year and a half as tuneup/prep ahead of the 2026 WC.  So this situation needs to be resolved ASAP. 

#1747 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:39 AM

So what’s the deal with all this other stuff they apparently uncovered while investigating an incident involving Berhalter over 30 years ago? This has gotten very little run in the news.

#1748 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:51 PM

https://www.espn.com...ncident-sources
@DaKittenz

#1749 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:57 PM

Helicopter parents

#1750 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:49 PM

Oh goodness.

Unless your adult child is in some sort of peril, keep your mouth shut.  And not getting the playing time you think he should get isn't peril.

• DuffMan likes this

#1751 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

Good Lord, wow. 

#1752 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:30 PM

Danielle Reyna said in a statement on Wednesday: "I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age."

I mean, it’s kind of a fair point, is it not? None of us were thrilled about airing the dirty laundry from what I recall.

#1753 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 05:07 PM

I mean, it’s kind of a fair point, is it not? None of us were thrilled about airing the dirty laundry from what I recall.

I thought the same thing, and yet it's still so petty on the Reyna's part. I'm still waiting to hear what all this other stuff was that the investigation into the Berhalter incident apparently uncovered.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1754 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 05:25 PM

It doesn't matter. He's a grown man. Like I said, unless he's in danger, let him handle it.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1755 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:04 PM

If you don’t want people calling you out for BS and shenanigans then you shouldn’t be doing shady stuff. It’s not that hard, do your job and stop letting nepotism and politics interfere. Those should never exist at this level yet here we are.
@JeremyMStrain

#1756 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 January 2023 - 08:51 AM

Claudio Reyna USED to be one of my all time favorite players. Totally unacceptable behavior. 

1. Gio/Berhlater/USMNT had an issue. They handled it during the WC. 

2. Berhalter shouldn't have brought up the issue, even generically, even in a forum with written rules ensuring privacy.

But it was over and done with.

But the Reyna's pinging on the USSF DURING the WC and threatening them with some information on Berhalter was total garbage. Bringing up something that occurred over 30 years ago is totally unacceptable. Especially when the aggrieved party (Gregg's wife) didn't even press charges AND subsequently married him and are still married all these years later. The n leaking this information is just insanely childish.

So EFF you Claudio.

Now that said I think this information should have zero to do with whether Gregg is brought back or not. Its should boil down to who is the best coach to lead this set of talented players to success in WC 2026. If he is then bring him back. If some higher valued international coach (or MLS) is felt to be the best coach then great hire them.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mashed Potatoes like this

#1757 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 January 2023 - 05:05 PM

Apparently Zidane was approached about coaching the USMNT but declined the offer.

#1758 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

Ehh, I’m over the old school days where coaches get to smear kids reputations with impunity. I wouldn’t have done it. I don’t love any of this, but both are guilty IMO.

#1759 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

Ehh, I’m over the old school days where coaches get to smear kids reputations with impunity. I wouldn’t have done it. I don’t love any of this, but both are guilty IMO.

I get what you are saying BUT what Gregg did isn't close to what the Reyna family did. Not even close and here's why.

1. Reyna screwed off in training and gave his team a big eff you. This is unacceptable on any level and none of the rest of this happens without his hissy fit. Well maybe nothing further happens but more on that in a minute.

2. The team collectively dealt with this and put it behind them.

3. Gregg goes to a leadership forum whose written confidentiality rules allow leaders to use real world life situations to help them learn how to handle this things from a strong leadership perspective. This was actually the exact kind of example that should be used in this type of situation. Unfortunately, someone who had agreed to the forum rules violated those rules and leaked Gregg's example. Now also recall Gregg did not use any names in his story but after the fact it wasn't hard for the media to put 2 and 2 together.

4. So the whole mess then becomes public.

BUT

5. The Reyna's threatening emails sent to the USSF were during the WC before all the mess with Gio became public. That to me is childish to the max, over an incident that was over 30 years ago, and in which the entire situation was something they had no business sticking their nose in. Even if Gregg hadn't used that example at the leadership forum those emails were going to get discovered. Shame on the Reyna family top to bottom.

#1760 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:50 AM

Here is the transcript from Gregg's talk at the leadership forum. I have zero problem with this. I think it was a fine way to use this example.

An example I can give you: In this last World Cup, we had a player that was clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field. One of 26 players, so it stood out. As a staff, we sat together for hours deliberating what we were going to do with this player. We were ready to book a plane ticket home, that's how extreme it was. And what it came down to was, we're going to have one more conversation with him, and part of the conversation was how we're going to behave from here out. There aren’t going to be any more infractions.

But the other thing we said to him was, you're going to have to apologize to the group, but it's going to have to say why you’re apologizing. It's going to have to go deeper than just ‘Guys, I'm sorry.’ And I prepped the leadership group with this. I said, ‘Okay, this guy's going to apologize to you as a group, to the whole team.’ And what was fantastic in this whole thing is that after he apologized, they stood up one by one and said, ‘Listen, it hasn’t been good enough, You haven’t been meeting our expectations of a teammate and we want to see change.’ They really took ownership of that process. And from that day on there were no issues with this player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=