BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 February 2023 - 12:03 PM

Here's some interesting comments on the next USMNT coach from Brad Freidel:

In his column for Daily Mail, legendary USMNT goalkeeper Brad Friedel wrote that he would prefer an American like Jesse Marsch to be next coach of the team over non-American coaches, even if they are Pep Guardiola or Zinedine Zidane.
“I am a firm believer that any sporting director, any general manager and any head coach should be American. I don't think it should be someone foreign, even though the best coaches in the world are foreign,” Friedel wrote.
“Our system of soccer in the United States is different, vastly different, and it takes the best of the best a minimum two years to learn the lay of the land here. Then they are going to want to instill their own differences to the system and we are supposed to be getting a team together to compete at a high level for 2026.”
“Pep is great, he is phenomenal, so is Zinedine Zidane. But the system over here, and I don't mean playing system, is different, and it has to be someone who knows it inside and out and can come in, make the team competitive and make the players he has available better.”
“I think Jesse is a really good coach. And there are a lot of really good coaches who don't make it through long term stays in the Premier League.”
Friedel spent 18 years playing in England for clubs such as Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Blackburn, and Aston Villa. He’s also spent time in Denmark and Turkey.
He played 82 games for the USMNT, including every game in the team’s famous quarterfinal run in the 2002 World Cup— earning a nickname “The Human Wall" after two heroic penalty saves against South Korea and Poland.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1802 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2023 - 06:56 PM

The Ringer article has some valid points however I could just as easily use those same points as to why the job is appealing. Plus the landscape has changed since that was written.

Marsch has been fired. Klopp is in hot water at Liverpool. Guardiola could well be interested, especially if Man C win UCL (nothing left to prove at Man C). 

Now here is why the job is appealing:

1. Both COPA America 2024 and the WC will be held in the US. The US market is the biggest global stage by far. Also going to have Gold Cups and CONCACAF Nations Leagues. There will be plenty of important matches for a new coach to mold the team and prepared them for 2026.

2. The USMNT is loaded with young talent and in 2026 will be prime to make a deep run, perhaps as deep as a US team has ever gone.

3. The time commitment isn't near the drain that a club position is. For some coaches they are at a point in their careers where this is a very positive thing.

4. The fan base and media are not even in the same universe as demanding as of most of the rest of the world. The coach won't be under near the microscope as say Brazil or heaven forbid England.

Going to be interesting to follow this and see who we get.

I think you have valid counterpoints. Which factors take precedence is in the eyes of the beholder.

Marsch seems like a very logical choice. He's obviously available right now, and I wouldn't think he'll have many, if any, offers in the top European leagues after his struggles there. Being relatively young still, spending a cycle with USMNT could be a good way to rebuild his resume if he can lead them on a deep run in 2026.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1803 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 07:56 PM

Interesting takes here. The writer (CBS's Chuck Booth) thinks Marsch is an obvious candidate, but doesn't seem too high on him. And he seems oddly high on Jim Curtin, despite the lack of any international experience, as a coach or player.

https://www.cbssport...steven-gerrard/

#1804 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 February 2023 - 11:05 AM

Hey all the U17 qualifying begins tonight for our guys. All three of their group stage matches are on FS1 or 2. Need to qualify top 4 to earn a berth at the U17 WC this fall.

Give it a watch and you'll be surprised what these kids can do at only 16 or 17 years old!!

#1805 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:26 PM

Independent investigation into Berhalter incident from 31 years ago complete. I didn't read the entire report just the executive summary.  

Berhalter is fine.

Don't expect the Reyna's to be involved in USSF soccer in the future. Sad.

https://ussoccer.app...ilqy5upmk45sotb

#1806 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:06 PM

It's not hard to see where Gio gets his attitude of entitlement from.

#1807 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

It's not hard to see where Gio gets his attitude of entitlement from.

Seriously, yikes.  And I'm not saying Berhalter was right or wrong not to play him more but certainly not the best way to handle it by the Reynas.

#1808 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 05:03 PM

The sport draws its talent from both the metaphorical gated community model, and from the gated communities themselves: where nightmarish helicopter parenting thrives. 

Put it another way: if USSF drew talent from all classes of society, this sort of toxicity would be drummed out at the youth level. 

It’s not, and until you can draw talent from all ‘levels’ of society, it probably never will be. 

#1809 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

I read most of that report, I'm tired of that topic so I won't be adding anything more.

In other news  Thierry Henry has expressed interest in the US job.

#1810 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

The guys have two matches coming up. Tomorrow and Monday, our first meaningful matches as they begin the road to WC 2026,

https://baltimorespo...to-2026-begins/

#1811 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:47 PM

Lots of stories coming out of the training camp the Reyna has been playing mostly centrally behind the striker. Many fans have been clamoring for this for a number of years since wing is our deepest position. Moving Gio to a CAM role is a potentially great way to get our best players on the field at the same time. Can't wait to see who gets run out there these two matches and how Hudson aligns them.

#1812 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:18 PM

Lineup is out on twitter but wouldn't let me paste it here.

I think this is a very good lineup for this type of match. Enough more experienced players to ensure the field play is what is expected but some newish young guys to get some minutes in a less than high pressure match. Good job by Coach Hudson.

#1813 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:07 PM

USA 7 - 1 Grenada

The first time in USMNT history they have scored 7 goals outside the US. Exactly the arse-whuppin' they should be putting on the #173 team in the world. Now they need to drop the hammer on El Salvador Monday and avenge that ugly draw (and barely so) played on that cow pasture last June.

#1814 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 March 2023 - 05:26 PM

Lineup for tonight.....big guns on deck.

Turner

Dest MRob Ream ARob

Reyna McKennie Musah

Zendejas Dike Pulisic

#1815 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:19 PM

McKennie with the perfect through ball to the just subbed on Pepi who put the ball in the net for the 1-0 lead.

#1816 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

Pepi has certainly got himself in the conversation for the #9. Seems like its him or Sargent right now. Dike didn't do himself any favors last night.

But as of this morning Folorian Balogun has taken down all photos of himself in an English jersey. We might just flip this guy!

#1817 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:28 PM

But as of this morning Folorian Balogun has taken down all photos of himself in an English jersey. We might just flip this guy!

Seems curious that he'd jump to the US now without a permanent head coach yet. Who's even trying to sell him on switching? The players? Could this just be a leverage ploy to get a spot with England?

#1818 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:38 PM

Seems curious that he'd jump to the US now without a permanent head coach yet. Who's even trying to sell him on switching? The players? Could this just be a leverage ploy to get a spot with England?

Let me answer these questions based on what I am hearing.

1. Not having a head coach probably isn't an issue one way or the other. Whomever ultimately is named isn't going to bring in some system that Balogun would suffer under.

2. Who is trying to sell him on switching? Every body on this side of the Atlantic. USSF, current coaching staff, players, and fans across the board.

3. Could this be a ploy? Perhaps but I kind of doubt it because of the comments Southgate made. Which were really stupid. Regardless of how you see Balogun in the pecking order for England you never know what the future holds. To say Balogun hasn't proven himself in the EPL is asinine. Neither has Kylian Mbappe. Neither has Lionel Messi. Neither has Robert Lewandowski. As of today Balogun is second in France in goals. Ok its not the EPL but its not like its Turkey or Greece either. In fact I think Southgate may be the US' best recruiter in this situation....LOL. In fact Southgate admitted the other day that he has never even talked to Flo since he was still a U23 WTH does that have to do with it. A simple 5 minute call saying hey we are watching your progress and think you are on a great track. Your aren't quite in our top couple right now but keep working. Or similar. Blow some smoke up his ass but what he did was likely piss him off.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#1819 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:44 PM

339857286_272598141759517_74653086732237

#1820 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:18 AM

https://www.ussoccer...-against-mexico

Roster announced for next weeks friendly with Mexico. As expected, with one exception (Sergino Dest), the are all MLS players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=