352 replies to this topic

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

How often do teams really carry a guy who can play OF defense and run?
How often do teams pinch run anymore?
How often do teams make defensive subs anymore?

Sure they do these things but not with players who can't hit at least some. Mullins is starting to show he can hit some so he might have a role. But only if he continues to hit some IMO.

Sure. He cant be an absolute nothing with the bat. We saw that got him sent down already this year.

#122 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

How often do teams really carry a guy who can play OF defense and run?
How often do teams pinch run anymore?
How often do teams make defensive subs anymore?

Sure they do these things but not with players who can't hit at least some. Mullins is starting to show he can hit some so he might have a role. But only if he continues to hit some IMO.

He definitely needs to hit more consistently, however, I can see him having a niche as a 4th or 5th outfielder. He plays a nice center field.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#123 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:45 PM

I think with Mullins it is style of hitting and confidence,  He can not worry about lunch angle.  He needs to not uppercut the ball.  He also seems that he presses when things go wrong.  He lost all confidence last year.

@mikeghg

#124 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

Saw this from Bill James:

The Orioles Cedric Mullins--the best bunter I have seen maybe since Kenny Lofton or Omar Vizquel--is giving the Red Sox fits with his bunts. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#125 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

Mullins, IMO is playing a very good center field too.

@mikeghg

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:50 AM

MASN: Mullins at his best when bunting
https://www.masnspor...en-bunting.html

#127 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Who'd have thought Mullins would have an OPS+ of 111 after his awful 2019 and poor start to 2020?  Still a small sample size after 86 plate appearances, but still - so great to see.  

• BobPhelan likes this

#128 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Who'd have thought Mullins would have an OPS+ of 111 after his awful 2019 and poor start to 2020? Still a small sample size after 86 plate appearances, but still - so great to see.

Great to see. Like his ability to get on base. Even if he's only a 90 OPS+ he'll have value with his speed, defense, and obp ability.

#129 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Mullins is another who is showing how much confidence plays in developing of players.  Like Stewart he seemed to be playing worried.  Now he is letting it fly and is playing good baseball.  I really like him as a centerfielder.

@mikeghg

#130 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

Mike Bordick mentioned on one of the post game shows, about learning how to play in front of crowds.  We have seen numerous players step up this year in baseball and basketball.  I wonder if the relaxed atmosphere has helped Mullins.  I also wonder if not having fans in the upper decks has helped Mullins track the baseball, because he is getting some great jumps, that we did not see last year

@mikeghg

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Mike Bordick mentioned on one of the post game shows, about learning how to play in front of crowds. We have seen numerous players step up this year in baseball and basketball. I wonder if the relaxed atmosphere has helped Mullins. I also wonder if not having fans in the upper decks has helped Mullins track the baseball, because he is getting some great jumps, that we did not see last year

Its something to keep in mind. Guys have always played in front of live crowds but I will say that most minor league stadiums dont have a 3rd deck or OF seats where fans can heckle players.

#132 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:44 AM

MASN: For Orioles’ Cedric Mullins, rebuilt swing and positive mindset key to holding spot in center field

• Ruzious likes this

#133 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

It would be a big plus for the Orioles if Mullins turns into the player, who played the last 30 games.  A gold glove caliber CFer, who can run. He looked like a lead off hitter at the end of the year.

@mikeghg

#134 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

There's some similarities to Al Bumbry - who was AL ROY at age 26.  Mullins age 26 year will be next season.  The Bee was a better pure hitter, but Mullins showed some XBH pop in the minors.  It remains to be seen if Mullins will show that pop in the majors.    

#135 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

There's some similarities to Al Bumbry - who was AL ROY at age 26.  Mullins age 26 year will be next season.  The Bee was a better pure hitter, but Mullins showed some XBH pop in the minors.  It remains to be seen if Mullins will show that pop in the majors.    

Interesting, I see Bumbry in him too.  The Bee was a late starter because he served in Viet Nam. Al could hit from Day 1 but  had to develop to become a plus center fielder.  

Maybe with Mullins the offense will tick up as his career develops.

@mikeghg

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:09 PM

MASN: Hyde: Mullins “was a shining moment for us in our organization”
https://www.masnspor...ganization.html

#137 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

MASN: Hyde: Mullins “was a shining moment for us in our organization”
https://www.masnspor...ganization.html

Mullins continuing to develop would be a real plus for an organization that still is defensively challenged and lacking speed and left handed at bats.

That plus it seems like he is a really good kid, makes him easy to root for.

@mikeghg

#138 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

Mullins is now gonna bat left-handed full time

https://twitter.com/...058065724923910

she/her

#139 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:46 AM

Don't see guys give up switch hitting very often. Seems like a great move from Mullins. Hope we get him lots of spring ABs against LHP as a lefty.

#140 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:00 PM

Don't see guys give up switch hitting very often. Seems like a great move from Mullins. Hope we get him lots of spring ABs against LHP as a lefty.

Yeah I don't think any of us know if the issue is the RH swing or just seeing left-handed pitching in general 

she/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=