Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

PressBox: How Is Orioles CF Cedric Mullins Doing This? Can He Keep It Going? -

#162 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

2 homers, and a double tonight.... OPS currently at .995!

#163 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

Who said Kenny Lofton lite. Kenny Lofton juiced!
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#164 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:36 AM

Batting .314...  has 8 homers, 3 triples, and 14 doubles.   

Has a .379 on-base %, and is slugging .511 (.890 OPS). 

With a solid June, going to have a great case for the All-Star Game. 

What a fantastic stretch for him.

• dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#165 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,817 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:51 PM

Right now he's a slow Rickey Henderson.

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:25 AM

Cedric Mullins nearly ties club mark for consecutive hits - Orioles.com

#167 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:36 AM

His OPS has jumped up 84 points in the past two games.

I've always felt that a 300/400/500 slash line is the ideal hitter.  So far this year Cedric is 322/390/533.

#168 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:42 AM

Cedric also reached base 11 straight times...  I remember Jim Dwyer reaching 13 straight times at the end of 1982, but I'm not sure if that's the team record.

#169 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:43 AM

His OPS has jumped up 84 points in the past two games.

I've always felt that a 300/400/500 slash line is the ideal hitter.  So far this year Cedric is 322/390/533.

He has produced MVP numbers for the first third of the year.

In addition he is damn fun to watch.

• dude likes this
@mikeghg

#170 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

Should be a poster children for switch hitters that it’s ok to just hit from one side.
@JeremyMStrain

#171 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:43 PM

Should be a poster children for switch hitters that it’s ok to just hit from one side.

Agreed, but I am amazed he looks so comfortable hitting lefty against lefty.  

@mikeghg

#172 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,635 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

I’m still mad they didn’t reverse that out call on his should’ve been triple.
  • JeremyStrain and Mike B like this

#173 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:50 PM

I’m still mad they didn’t reverse that out call on his should’ve been triple.

Agreed, as we discussed in the game thread, if NY is not going to over turn that call, then why have replay??  

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#174 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:56 PM

Agreed, but I am amazed he looks so comfortable hitting lefty against lefty.  

Yeah don't get me wrong, most hitters won't just flat out excel against like, like he has, usually the whole point of switch hitting is because even though they won't do as well from off hand, it's better than how atrocious they are against like handed.

I've always felt that it pulls down how well they do from their dominant side a little bit though, like if they just dropped the one side and focused on the other they'd be better overall, even if it means sitting a couple games here or there. It's a long season, they shouldn't be playing 162 anyway. In fairness most of this musing is from Wieters. I think he was once listed as the player most hurt by SH in ML history, like his projected numbers if he would have just hit from the other side would have been like .011 higher. I think it'd have been higher than that, as a catcher some of his rest days could have just been tied to pitching matchups and he could have cherry picked. Guys like Jose Valentin stood out to me too back in the day.

Lance Berkman said a couple years ago if he could do it all over again he wouldn't have switch hit. I know the numbers have been dropping the past 30 years or so, used to be like 20% of hitters, now it's like just above 10%. Probably not much coincidence the 2019 Astros had zero switch hitters on their roster (mostly built by Elias). Some teams just do not see the value anymore.

Whatever the case, I'm glad it's working out so well for Ced.

• Mike B and russsnyder like this
@JeremyMStrain

#175 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:43 PM

I'm putting a ban on any "how much value do we think we can get for Cedric Mullins" posts.

I don't know how, but I'm banning them, dagnabbit.

• JeremyStrain, Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#176 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

Yeah don't get me wrong, most hitters won't just flat out excel against like, like he has, usually the whole point of switch hitting is because even though they won't do as well from off hand, it's better than how atrocious they are against like handed.

I've always felt that it pulls down how well they do from their dominant side a little bit though, like if they just dropped the one side and focused on the other they'd be better overall, even if it means sitting a couple games here or there. It's a long season, they shouldn't be playing 162 anyway. In fairness most of this musing is from Wieters. I think he was once listed as the player most hurt by SH in ML history, like his projected numbers if he would have just hit from the other side would have been like .011 higher. I think it'd have been higher than that, as a catcher some of his rest days could have just been tied to pitching matchups and he could have cherry picked. Guys like Jose Valentin stood out to me too back in the day.

Lance Berkman said a couple years ago if he could do it all over again he wouldn't have switch hit. I know the numbers have been dropping the past 30 years or so, used to be like 20% of hitters, now it's like just above 10%. Probably not much coincidence the 2019 Astros had zero switch hitters on their roster (mostly built by Elias). Some teams just do not see the value anymore.

Good post.  I think keeping the mechanics straight is what makes it so difficult.  Wieters popped into mind for me too.

Your last point really is something I have been thinking about.  Everytime I see Mullins being interviewed I come away with he same thought, that he is a great kid, who has worked his ass off getting to where he is now.  That makes it real easy to like and root for him.

• JeremyStrain and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#177 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:49 PM

Good post.  I think keeping the mechanics straight is what makes it so difficult.  Wieters popped into mind for me too.

Your last point really is something I have been thinking about.  Everytime I see Mullins being interviewed I come away with he same thought, that he is a great kid, who has worked his ass off getting to where he is now.  That makes it real easy to like and root for him.

Yeah exactly, like how much focus and reps are you pulling away from one side to work extra hard on the weaker one? Spend ALL that time on the dominant side and watch that one improve even more.

Yeah he's come off that way for me too. Saw him interviewed a couple times when he was in Bowie like, player of the game kinda stuff and he always seemed like a good kid.

@JeremyMStrain

#178 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

I think you make some excellent points. As you point out, being an effective,dangerous hitter from one side of the plate at a high level of play is more than difficult. Unless you are a total athletic freak like Eddie Murray or Mickey Mantle, switch hitting is not as appealing to baseball scouting guys as it was a few years ago. It's really interesting that Mullins turned his career around and dropping hitting from the right side obviously played a big part in it. I am so happy for this kid.
  • JeremyStrain likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#179 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:58 PM

Entered tonight 3rd in rWAR and 4th in fWAR in all of baseball for postion players.
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and 1 other like this

#180 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:52 PM

Stuff the ballot for Ced to start the AS game. He's absolutely worthy of the honor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=