• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#201 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 06:51 AM

Balt SunOrioles star Cedric Mullins breaks out of slump as team halts long losing skid: ‘I expect him to finish the season strong’

#202 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:07 PM

Interesting how much the defensive metrics dont like him. Potentially one neg in a great season. I can say I havent watched enough this year to comment.

#203 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:17 PM

Interesting how much the defensive metrics dont like him. Potentially one neg in a great season. I can say I havent watched enough this year to comment.

I'd have his glove as right around average, and his arm as below average, for an overall of slightly below average I guess? Defense wouldn't be an excuse for him not to be here long term though, it's not like that IMO.

#204 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:18 PM

Statcast likes him enough...     his UZR and DRS as shown at FanGraphs can be disregarded. 

He's got excellent range, and a weak arm.  Overall he's plenty above average. 

Jones imo had so-so range most of his career, and a strong arm.  

I think Mullins is a better CF overall. 

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and BSLRoseKatz like this

#205 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:24 PM

Statcast likes him enough... his UZR and DRS as shown at FanGraphs can be disregarded.

He's got excellent range, and a weak arm. Overall he's plenty above average.

Jones imo had so-so range most of his career, and a strong arm.

Fair enough. Was just looking at fangraphs stuff and not statcast which is likely to tell a more accurate story

#206 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:26 PM

Agreed.

#207 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:08 PM

Statcast has him at well above average with the glove. The arm is obviously not good, not sure how important that is compared to a corner. If someone forced him to move to LF he would fantastic in that spot.

#208 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:48 PM

One thing we talked about early in the year was getting his SB % up if he was going to run. He's done that. Seems to be learning the art. Up to 78%+. BB rate also took a nice jump. Truly seeing a guy blossom. Thats why it doesnt feel flukish. Even if he steps back in ways he's still got numerous things going for him.

#209 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 04:14 PM

Felt very flukish in April.  A whole year now makes me start to get much more optimistic about it being sustainable for a longer time.

I'd be curious to see how many examples there are of players who had a 5+ WAR season and then fell back down to just be 2 WAR players.   Just thinking Orioles recent history...Roberts had a huge year that he never came close to replicating, but he still was a 3-5 WAR player for many seasons after that.  Markakis peaked after his 3rd year then fell off and was just ok the rest of the time (he lost a lot of points for defense that I never agreed with).

Definitely going to end up as one of the finer seasons in recent Orioles memory.  He's just been so amazingly good all year long.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#210 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

Named MVO today.

That had to be the easiest vote ever.

• dude likes this
@mikeghg

#211 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:51 PM

He'll need to go 7/19 over the final 5 games to get his average back up to 300 for the season.  Or have about a 1000 OPS for the final 5 games to get his OPS back up to 900 for the season.  Would be really cool to his those benchmarks.  Amazing season no matter how it finishes.

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#212 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:55 PM

He'll need to go 7/19 over the final 5 games to get his average back up to 300 for the season.  Or have about a 1000 OPS for the final 5 games to get his OPS back up to 900 for the season.  Would be really cool to his those benchmarks.  Amazing season no matter how it finishes.

I think I'd be desperately pulling for .300/.900, but since he's in the 30/30 club, I think that'll always be point number one when discussing the 2021 Mullins season anyway, so it's all good. It'd be great if he can do it though. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#213 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:25 PM

What a fun player and fun season. Things that come out of nowhere are so awesome. Now there are expectations moving forward. Just not the same
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#214 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

Mullins’ season can’t be praised enough, so cool.
  • Greg Pappas, Mike B, dude and 1 other like this

#215 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:49 PM

Wieters if Wieters gave up switch hitting.
  • Mackus likes this

#216 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:08 PM

Wieters if Wieters gave up switch hitting.

I wonder if he's going to inspire other guys.  Wieters not the best example because he seemed to alternate which side he was more productive from year to year, but there have been lots of guys with consistent extreme splits.  Cedric's the first I recall to give it up after reaching the majors.  I'm sure there have been some others, but he really stands out since he's had such immediate success since making the change including against LHP as an exclusive LHB.

Splits against RHP aren't so severe overall, only about a 25 OPS point advantage to be a LHB facing a righty than to be a RHB.  But the league splits against LHP are severe, over 100 OPS point advantage to be facing a lefty as a RHB than a LHB.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#217 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:31 PM

Wieters was significantly better against LHP early in his career. Makes you wonder if it would've made any difference focusing as a right handed batter.

He did seem to level off as the years went on.

#218 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:21 PM

Did not get named as a Gold Glove finalist.

#219 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:51 PM

Did not get named as a Gold Glove finalist.

I watched Straw a fair amount in CLE games and he looked bored and mad he got traded.

I like Taylor and have argued for him many times.

KK is a routine favorite for the award.

...but usually big offense helps you in these situations. Mullins was as good defensively as anyone. Shouldn't be overlooked for the offense, it should be the bonus.

Certainly deserved to be a finalist.

#220 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:07 PM

Mullins definitely has a subpar arm, which may matter to this. His range seems as good as anybody’s. I admit I don’t watch enough of the rest of the league to have good enough of an opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=