813 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

It kinda has to be Scott Frost, right? Seems like a perfect fit, and perfect timing.

Short of sticking Tom Osborne in a time machine and making him 30 years younger, I think the fanbase will turn their nose at anyone not named Scott Frost.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

ESPN: Arkansas fires AD Jeff Long; football coach Bret Bielema likely on shaky ground

​"Likely on shaky ground" is an understatement.

Of the names that were floated in the MD thread about adding to the coaching staff, ol' Curly Howard is a very intruiging one. I don't know that his personality and ego would fit in, but if he could work some of the magic on the Terps' O-line that he regularly did in Wisconsin, they might finally be able to get that train rolling big time.

#43 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

ESPN: Arkansas fires AD Jeff Long; football coach Bret Bielema likely on shaky ground

​"Likely on shaky ground" is an understatement.

Of the names that were floated in the MD thread about adding to the coaching staff, ol' Curly Howard is a very intruiging one. I don't know that his personality and ego would fit in, but if he could work some of the magic on the Terps' O-line that he regularly did in Wisconsin, they might finally be able to get that train rolling big time.

Not sure there's really a spot for him. His pro-style, ground and pound scheme is about as different from Walt Bell's spread attack as you can get. And Tyler Bowen has done a really good job with Maryland's O-Line this year. He'll find a home somewhere, but the Terps are fully committed to their spread scheme.

@BSLZackKiesel

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Not sure there's really a spot for him. His pro-style, ground and pound scheme is about as different from Walt Bell's spread attack as you can get. And Tyler Bowen has done a really good job with Maryland's O-Line this year. He'll find a home somewhere, but the Terps are fully committed to their spread scheme.

I was thinking more in terms of teaching technique than scheme, though they may not necessarily be mutually exclusive. And even though Bowen has not been there a full season, so this isn't all on him by any means, the O-line has been a major disappointment for me this season. Considering they have been recruiting that unit quite well for several cycles now, I expected much better.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Just the fact that he consistently won in the conference with lesser talent should make him a candidate for whatever title you want to call it.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

The Chip Kelly to Florida rumors are heating up (yes, they are tracking the tail numbers/flight plans of private planes). Kelly being hired by the Gators would certainly be welcome news to folks in Lincoln.

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

It should also be noted that Bielema is a defensive guy, and has never held an offensive assistant coaching position. He was a defensive lineman in college, coached LBs at Iowa, and was the DC at Kansas State and Wisconsin before his head coaching tenures at Wisconsin and Arkansas. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

Short of sticking Tom Osborne in a time machine and making him 30 years younger

I think you're confused about how time machines work :)

They would have to use the time machine to go back 30 years, go get (capture) Tom Osborne from that time, and bring him to the present.  Then teach him about Twitter so he can recruit.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

I think you're confused about how time machines work :)

They would have to use the time machine to go back 30 years, go get (capture) Tom Osborne from that time, and bring him to the present.  Then teach him about Twitter so he can recruit.

I never was a Dr Who fan. Oh well.

#50 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Here in Tennessee, rumors are stirring full-bore about Jon Gruden getting a $10 million/year offer. Wednesday on Mike & Mike, he didn't dismiss the UT job, and today on a Seattle radio show, after telling the host he wouldn't answer any question about coaching jobs, he let it slip that he was going to Knoxville and how much he loved the song Rocky Top.

Either he's coming here, or he is a sick troll. I'm starting to lean toward the former, simply because his trolling would make life hell for his kid who attends UT.

#51 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

Here in Tennessee, rumors are stirring full-bore about Jon Gruden getting a $10 million/year offer. Wednesday on Mike & Mike, he didn't dismiss the UT job, and today on a Seattle radio show, after telling the host he wouldn't answer any question about coaching jobs, he let it slip that he was going to Knoxville and how much he loved the song Rocky Top.

Either he's coming here, or he is a sick troll. I'm starting to lean toward the former, simply because his trolling would make life hell for his kid who attends UT.

I guess I understand why they're backing up the Mack truck for Gruden, but is he really the answer? The guy hasn't coached at the college level in almost 30 years. Sure he's a great Xs and Os coach, but can he motivate college kids? Can he recruit with all of the rules and regulations that he'll have to learn as quickly as possible? It seems like a great hire on the surface, but I guess I'm not fully sold that it'd work out. And if it doesn't, you're on the hook for a ton of money, especially with Butch Jones' buyout still on the books.

@BSLZackKiesel

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

I guess I understand why they're backing up the Mack truck for Gruden, but is he really the answer? The guy hasn't coached at the college level in almost 30 years. Sure he's a great Xs and Os coach, but can he motivate college kids? Can he recruit with all of the rules and regulations that he'll have to learn as quickly as possible? It seems like a great hire on the surface, but I guess I'm not fully sold that it'd work out. And if it doesn't, you're on the hook for a ton of money, especially with Butch Jones' buyout still on the books.

He also hasn't coached at any level in almost a decade.

@DJ_McCann

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

No mention of Tee Martin? Is it because he still has some Lane Kiffin stink left on him? Can't think of any other reason they wouldn't reach out to him. They might want to take a cautionary tale from Nebraska, who didn't interview Scott Frost two years ago and now may face much greater competition for his services.

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Jim Mora, Jr. out at UCLA.

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Kelly to UCLA? Think Florida wants hi.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Kelly to UCLA? Think Florida wants hi.

If he isn't employed by some college by the end of Dec, then it's strictly because he doesn't want to be.

#57 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Michael Gaines (local St. Louis reporter) reports that UCLA has discussed hiring Jeff Fisher. So that's apparently a thing.

@BSLZackKiesel

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

I guess they're hoping for the next Pete Carroll. To add in some irony, Fisher is a USC guy. From what I hear up this way (because they still can't let go of Chip Kelly here) is that UCLA is all in on him....so much so that they said the reason they didn't wait until after the season to fire Mora was because they didn't want to miss out on him.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Michael Gaines (local St. Louis reporter) reports that UCLA has discussed hiring Jeff Fisher. So that's apparently a thing.

LOL

#60 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

CBS Sports: Texas A&M has decided to fire coach Kevin Sumlin after LSU game

Another SEC job open.

@BSLZackKiesel