BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Todd Graham out at Arizona State.

All quiet in College Station so far.

Adam Rittenberg of ESPN says he's already hearing Kevin Sumlin to Arizona State rumors, even though Sumlin has yet to be officially fired by A&M. Wonder if maybe there is some negotiation going on between the three parties with regard to the $10 million buyout A&M would owe by straight up firing him?

#82 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Sounds like Dan Mullen to Florida, and Greg Schiano to Tennessee according to ESPN and USA Today reports.

@BSLZackKiesel

#83 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Interesting hire for Tennessee. Schiano has mostly had success in his jobs at the college level, but he's never been a head coach at a school with such a high profile and high expectations as Tennessee. Not sure how their fan base feels about it, but it seems a bit "meh" to me.

#84 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Interesting hire for Tennessee. Schiano has mostly had success in his jobs at the college level, but he's never been a head coach at a school with such a high profile and high expectations as Tennessee. Not sure how their fan base feels about it, but it seems a bit "meh" to me.

Definitely not a big name like Mullen would have been, but I like the hire. Tennessee has been built on the "Power T", a hard-nosed tough team that beats the opposition into submission. That obviously wasn't the case under Butch Jones, or under Derek Dooley. But if Schiano can bring that mentality back to the defense, and bring in an offensive coordinator with the same style I think Tennessee fans will enjoy it. Most of their reminiscing is about the Phillip Fulmer years with Randy Sanders/David Cutcliffe running offense and John Chavis running defense, so this may be their best chance to get back to that mentality they brought.

@BSLZackKiesel

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

I predicted Mullen to Florida a few weeks back.

Probably means Frost stays or goes to Nebraska.

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Sumlin officially out now at A&M.

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

For those counting, that's 5 SEC coaches fired (if you include Hugh Freeze before the season started). If Ole Miss decides not to stick with Matt Luke (though it would seem they may) then you'd have 6 new coaches when you factor in MSU needing to replace Mullin.

Tough at it is to win at Vanderbilt, still have to wonder if they want to keep sticking with Derek Mason. Going 1-7 in conference is probably not what they expect, even when that one win was when they stomped on in-state rival Tennessee for the second straight year.

#88 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Jimbo Fisher to A&M

@fuzydunlop

#89 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

From Louis Fernandez (WBIR Knoxville) on Twitter, there is a group forming outside of Neyland Stadium to protest the Greg Schiano hire. A bunch of Knoxville businesses are tweeting that Schiano is not welcome inside their respective establishments.

DPlh0QCWkAAVnXV.jpg

@BSLZackKiesel

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Jimbo Fisher to A&M

Do you have a source on that, or just your guess? I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Fisher's name comes up with just about every big SEC opening, but I think he'd be dumb to leave FSU for that.

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

From Louis Fernandez (WBIR Knoxville) on Twitter, there is a group forming outside of Neyland Stadium to protest the Greg Schiano hire. A bunch of Knoxville businesses are tweeting that Schiano is not welcome inside their respective establishments.

LOL....slow Sunday in Knoxville. Though I doubt Schiano gets the Peyton Manning seal of approval, since Peyton was one of the ones who took exception to how Schiano treated kneel-down plays when he was at Tampa Bay.

#92 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

And now Dan Harralson (Saturday Down South) reports that Schiano is "concerned with the climate of the Tennessee fan base and the reaction towards reports of his contract being finalized at Tennessee. The deal may not get finalized."

Wow.

@BSLZackKiesel

#93 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Jimbo Fisher to A&M
  Do you have a source on that, or just your guess? I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Fisher's name comes up with just about every big SEC opening, but I think he'd be dumb to leave FSU for that.
bc3ddd32ffa55e2f72d6f989f5bb1b9a.jpg
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

@fuzydunlop

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

Wow. That's big. Wonder who FSU will target with some great names already off the market?

#95 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

Wow. That's big. Wonder who FSU will target with some great names already off the market?

Taggart's name has been mentioned. Also Fuente.

@BSLZackKiesel

#96 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Gator fans will not like Mullen if he’s hired. I swear I’ve heard gator fans bitch more about him than any other assistant on any team.

@fuzydunlop

#97 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Taggart's name has been mentioned. Also Fuente.

So that was the collective groan I heard out here. They were sweating Taggart  as a guy Florida would go after. That would be disastrous for Oregon to lose him now. He has been recruiting really well. To make it worse, they have to live with their messiah coaching at UCLA now.

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Interesting though that A&M did go to the formality of naming an interim (current ST coach Jeff Banks).

#99 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Interesting though that A&M did go to the formality of naming an interim (current ST coach Jeff Banks).

Well, they and Arizona State are the only bowl eligible teams this season who have fired their coaches.

@BSLZackKiesel

#100 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Well, they and Arizona State are the only bowl eligible teams this season who have fired their coaches.

UCLA is eligible too. I doubt Kelly will coach them in the bowl game, they'll probably stick with Jedd Fisch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=