373 replies to this topic

#321 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:24 PM

But he doesn't at all care about winning at the major league level, and that alone justifies the tanking label for me. I do think he values top 5 picks. He wants to stack as many blue chip prospects as possible before the expectations come.

I think that flip switches as soon as this season ends. Not saying we’ll have a .500 record next year but that thinking ends.

#322 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:26 PM

I think that flip switches as soon as this season ends. Not saying we’ll have a .500 record next year but that thinking ends.

It needs to. I'm over it. And if it doesn't switch, I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt for the longterm. Have some guts and give a damn, it's the right thing to do.

#323 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

Right. I think it ends too but if youre just judging on FA spending you wont agree
  • BobPhelan likes this

#324 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:44 PM

Right. I think it ends too but if youre just judging on FA spending you wont agree

Agreed.

#325 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

I think they'll be in tank mode forever.

#326 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

What else would we possibly judge that by if not FA (or trade) acquisitions.

There are 5+ gaping holes on the roster. 3 infield spots, 3+ rotation spots, and almost the entire bullpen. If we fill multiple holes with some real players making a modest to average amount of money, that's awesome and signals that ownership and management care about the win total.

If we fill them all with Harvey and Galvis type vets and give fringe prospects like Akin or worse guys like Lopez a spot before ST, then it's clear they don't care about the 2022 win total.
  • You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#327 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

I don't mind Galvis types, he isn't horrible. Franco was a wildcard.... he could've been OK but obviously ended up terrible.

Trying to fill the rotation with guys like Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey, Sidney Ponson (I joke) and Jorge Lopez is beyond awful.

#328 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:51 PM

I don't mind Galvis types, he isn't horrible. Franco was a wildcard.... he could've been OK but obviously ended up terrible.

Trying to fill the rotation with guys like Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey, Sidney Ponson (I joke) and Jorge Lopez is beyond awful.

I don't mind these guys either for any one spot, but you can't fill ALL the spots with players like this and then go out and say that you actually care about winning games.  You either need to actually try to not be terrible or you need to take the criticism when people fairly call you out for not trying to win.

#329 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

What else would we possibly judge that by if not FA (or trade) acquisitions.

There are 5+ gaping holes on the roster. 3 infield spots, 3+ rotation spots, and almost the entire bullpen. If we fill multiple holes with some real players making a modest to average amount of money, that's awesome and signals that ownership and management care about the win total.

If we fill them all with Harvey and Galvis type vets and give fringe prospects like Akin or worse guys like Lopez a spot before ST, then it's clear they don't care about the 2022 win total.

This.

The argument that they're trying to win even if they don't add much of anything in free agency / trades would make some sense if they didn't have glaring holes, but as you point out, they have several. If one is bullish on internal improvement, how could that person also justify not supplementing that projected improvement in the incredibly obvious spots that need help?

So to me, even if they get some improvement from those already in the organization, it's still tanking if they do nothing of note to give those guys a real chance at winning.

#330 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:50 PM

This.

The argument that they're trying to win even if they don't add much of anything in free agency / trades would make some sense if they didn't have glaring holes, but as you point out, they have several. If one is bullish on internal improvement, how could that person also justify not supplementing that projected improvement in the incredibly obvious spots that need help?

So to me, even if they get some improvement from those already in the organization, it's still tanking if they do nothing of note to give those guys a real chance at winning.

I can see them signing or trading for 1-2 infielders and 1-2 starting pitchers.

#331 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:20 PM

I can see them signing or trading for 1-2 infielders and 1-2 starting pitchers.

I could too, but I think the type. I see them signing is probably different form the type you see.

Signing guys like Harvey or King Felix is not going to move the needle.  

Their motto, this off season, should be DO NOT lose 110 games ever again.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#332 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:02 PM

I could too, but I think the type. I see them signing is probably different form the type you see.

Signing guys like Harvey or King Felix is not going to move the needle.

Their motto, this off season, should be DO NOT lose 110 games ever again.

But instead they've already been trying to rally public support to mail it in again with "where we are in the process". 🤮

#333 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:22 AM

Balt Sun: Oriole of the Day: Keegan Akin’s roller-coaster 2021 season makes his place in rotation uncertain

#334 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:19 AM

Balt Sun: Oriole of the Day: Keegan Akin’s roller-coaster 2021 season makes his place in rotation uncertain

So far Akin is the big tease.   For the most part, he has not been good, but then he has a small stretch where he pitches well.

I think he will always have too many 30 pitch innings, and be a 4 or 5 inning pitcher at best.

@mikeghg

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 08:08 AM

#336 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 06:26 AM

Balt Sun: For Orioles’ Keegan Akin, a new mindset has breathed life into the start of his season: ‘Just attack’

#337 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 05:14 PM

Two outings so far: 

5.2 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 0 bb's, 4 k's

#338 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:12 AM

4/29: 

2.2 ip, 1 hit, 0 er, 0 bb's, 2 k's.... 37 pitches, 31 strikes

Season: 

14.1 ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 bb's, 9 k's, 1 hr

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#339 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:43 AM

MASN: Akin relishing role that's bringing him records

https://www.masnspor...ing-him-records

#340 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:47 AM

2022: 

30 games... 

61 innings, 44 hits, 9 hr's, 14 bb's, 52 k's

LHH .327 OPS

RHH .778 OPS

4 seam was 92 last year as a starter... 93.5 this year in relief. 

30th overall among relievers in WPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=