#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

Well, he nailed 2 shots today in his first 2 AB's and is 0-2. Maybe he's coming around.

From reading some of the comments it seems clear that he is trying way too hard.

He will get a few hits and hopefully just relax and let his talent take over.   Then we will see if he can contribute.

@mikeghg

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

MASN: Wrapping up a 9-3 win
http://www.masnsport...-a-9-3-win.html

Hyun Soo Kim collected two hits and is now 5-for-34 this spring, with one walk and two hit by pitches. He has five hits in his last 10 at-bats and he's reached base in eight of his last 16 plate appearances.

"I talked to him a little yesterday when we got back," Showalter said. "Not him, but his interpreter (Danny Lee) and him. It's tough with interpreters, because most of them haven't played the game. It's kind of like the context that you're putting something in in baseball mentality, you don't always know if it's being translated. And it's tough. Sometimes the translator you have means a lot. We found that with (Wei-Yin) Chen.

"Having (Hee-seop) Choi there in the meeting last night (helped). His English isn't a whole lot better, but at least he comprehends what I'm trying to get across to (Kim). If he fires a fastball down the left field line, that's OK."

Kim worked the count and collected two hits - and infield single and a ball that deflected off the glove of leaping shortstop Jordy Mercer.

"I was showing him some tape last night of his at-bats in Korea and he actually had two or three of those at-bats today just like that, so I don't expect him to come out here and take batting practice like that group he was in," Showalter said. "Looking back on it, probably wasn't a good idea. But today was the first time, not the first time, but overall at-bats looked like the guy that we had seen. I'm anxious to see where it goes, but he had a good look in his eye today."

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

I've seen 3 of the 5 hits. Two were infield hits and another was a duckfart. Bordick was talking today about how he was having to try and gear up for anything over 90. Just not encouraging. And that's just the hitting. He's a below avg defender in LF.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Baltimore Sun: Orioles' Hyun Soo Kim finding ways to adjust and succeed despite limited opportunities

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

He's hitting well, no way around it. Wouldn't be surprised if eventually he and Reimold start taking more PT away from Rickard.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

Needs to play against all RHP

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

He'll be exposed too, but at this point the I'm good with people seeing that for themselves. Rickard is a 4th OF at best.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:07 AM

Nice night.

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

Does he get another start tonight?

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

He should.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

Its poor managing on Buck's part, at this point, to not give him more playing time and see if he can continue to be an asset at the plate.

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

Its poor managing on Buck's part, at this point, to not give him more playing time and see if he can continue to be an asset at the plate.

Right now it's looking like Buck, or whoever else it was, who thought Kim couldn't play at this level, was wrong. Maybe he still cant but he has shown you some strengths and last night was enough to give him a couple of starts in a row to see what he can do. Admit you may have been wrong about him and play him...it may actually help the team.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Right now it's looking like Buck, or whoever else it was, who thought Kim couldn't play at this level. Maybe he still cant but he has shown you some strengths and last night was enough to give him a couple of starts in a row to see what he can do. Admit you may have been wrong about him and play him...it may actually help the team.

It doesn't matter who thought what about him in March.  What matters is how he is performing and when he gets a chance, he is producing.  That's the bottom line.

He may still suck and may have no business being a major leaguer but you have to ride the bat and plate discipline now.

Buck talked about how he wants to see less Ks, more balls in play, etc...Well, then play a guy who is doing just that.  Don't be all talk.

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have a feeling much like our RP, they are as successful as they are because of how they are being used, and thrust into more playing time we may see a different version of Kim.

Who knows, maybe just being at practice everyday and getting more time to adjust has suited him well and he's catching on. Clearly he has this ability in his skill set, you can see that from overseas. The question is can he adapt to ML pitching, and we aren't going to know that until you play him more to let him be exposed.

We talked about in ST how you kind of had to treat him like a rule 5 pick and bring him along slowly. The irony being that the guy playing ahead of him to be able to do that IS ACTUALLY a rule 5 pick is kinda funny.

@JeremyMStrain

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have a feeling much like our RP, they are as successful as they are because of how they are being used, and thrust into more playing time we may see a different version of Kim.

Who knows, maybe just being at practice everyday and getting more time to adjust has suited him well and he's catching on. Clearly he has this ability in his skill set, you can see that from overseas. The question is can he adapt to ML pitching, and we aren't going to know that until you play him more to let him be exposed.

We talked about in ST how you kind of had to treat him like a rule 5 pick and bring him along slowly. The irony being that the guy playing ahead of him to be able to do that IS ACTUALLY a rule 5 pick is kinda funny.

Sure and that very well may happen.

But this is a guy who has had success in pro ball and has carried over what we thought he would be to the majors in his limited playing time.

He has to play more.  Rickard isn't that good, so there is no reason not to give him some playing time, especially since he is producing.

If he ends up sucking, so be it but you are paying the guy and he is on the team and with an offense that lacks guys that do what he can do, he needs more time.  

#36 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

He should get more playing time. He's has a good approach at the plate and made the most of his very limited opportunity. The shine has worn off of Rickard a bit, so you need to see what Kim can do with more ABs.

It still blows my mind that a few weeks of Spring Training performance seem to have completely changed how the team views Kim. 

@AdamWolff

#37 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

He did a nice job turning on that pitch last night and smacking it down the right field line. It was a nice hit. I'd like to see more.

#38 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

I am warming up....ever so slowly..... maybe he can be a serviceable MLB player. Still rather have Joey in the lineup.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

HR #1.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Cool moment in the dugout. Good for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=