#441 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

I mean, that single decision is as bad as any decision we have seen.

You can't lose that game and never pitch him.  

How much did it effect the team, players and organization?  Who knows but when you do that and you lose your chance to win it all, a chance that may never happen again, you tend to get pissed and understandably so.

I don't think any of us have any idea how much impact it truly had.

I think it was a real bad screw up, with a doubt,  but I think it has little to do with a players mindset when they are on the field.   This team was turning  south even during that play off year.   I honestly feel like it is something players, will talk about years from now, but  I don't think it has a great effect on the following years team.

The team had no speed, defense was ignored.  The bull pen, like all bull pens that was the strength, became less effective, and the rotation, especially the last 2 years was terrible with no back up depth.  The line up became more one dimensional each year.

@mikeghg

#442 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

Like i said earlier, Davis stinks, Britton got hurt, O'Day got hurt, Hardy got hurt and quickly got old, they never upgraded the rotation, never really replaced Nick or Cruz....etc. it wasn't one non bullpen move that "ruined' this team and Buck's tenure. 

@beginthebegin71

#443 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

Do you think Buck "put them back there"?  Did he have some help in that endeavor?

If he had some help, then he had some help getting them back to relevance too. Can't praise him for one but not blame him for the other. 

It's obviously a team effort, from the FO on down to the coaches and players all contributing to what happens. I don't think the 2018 roster was as bad as what it turned out to be. No one looked at that and said, yeah, thats easily got 90+ losses written all over it. 

We can look at a number of things. The biggest black hole was Chris Davis. But Davis was supposedly working with Coolbaugh. Coolbaugh was like, no not really. Buck was like, that's news to me. So...shouldn't the manger be inquiring his hitting coach whats he doing to help a guy hitting .150? Once Palmer leaked it after that game, then Buck finally took action. His stance changed slightly the next night. Davis got fractionally better in very small doses. But what if Buck had been keen on this in the spring, before he made him his leadoff hitter, through April, May? Maybe Davis hits .200. Maybe at worst he's Joey Gallo. .190ish, 35ish bombs.

Honestly feel like Buck played a very large role in some guys regressions, leading to 116 losses.

@BSLMikeRandall

#444 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

Is the Orioles Manager position going to be an open application process?

I don't know if they'll list it on Monster.com, but it will probably go to somebody outside of the organization.  I suppose John Russell has an outside chance.

#445 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

I don't know if they'll list it on Monster.com, but it will probably go to somebody outside of the organization.  I suppose John Russell has an outside chance.

Nightengale (USA Today) already is talking about Bordick.

A bit outside the box, not sure how i feel about it. 

@beginthebegin71

#446 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Nightengale (USA Today) already is talking about Bordick.

A bit outside the box, not sure how i feel about it.

If they replace him in the box with Ben McDonald, I'm okay with it.
  • SBTarheel and Mackus like this

#447 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

I don't know if they'll list it on Monster.com, but it will probably go to somebody outside of the organization.  I suppose John Russell has an outside chance

At one point it was mentioned that they preferred a former Oriole.  Bordick checks that box.

I would think that if he was interested, and seeing as he's blocked in Boston and his contract as a special assistant to Dombrowski expires this year, that Jason Varitek would be a prime candidate with his ties to Rajsich and Duquette.  

#448 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

Like i said earlier, Davis stinks, Britton got hurt, O'Day got hurt, Hardy got hurt and quickly got old, they never upgraded the rotation, never really replaced Nick or Cruz....etc. it wasn't one non bullpen move that "ruined' this team and Buck's tenure. 

All true except you left out one significant fact. Buck had 100% control over using Jimenez over Britton. 100%.

#449 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

All true except you left out one significant fact. Buck had 100% control over using Jimenez over Britton. 100%.

But you are missing HIS point.  He is saying the team would be shit even if Britton had been used.

#450 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

I would think that if he was interested, and seeing as he's blocked in Boston and his contract as a special assistant to Dombrowski expires this year, that Jason Varitek would be a prime candidate with his ties to Rajsich and Duquette.

Hmm interesting, that’s a new one...
  • SportsGuy, Pedro Cerrano and Nigel Tufnel like this

#451 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

At one point it was mentioned that they preferred a former Oriole.  Bordick checks that box.

Seattle a few years ago was a way better job than the Os are now.  No reason to think he could be interested now.

#452 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

But my point is that we'd have been awful in most of 17 and 18 anyway...Like i said to Rob, let's say Edwin hits into a double play, we score in the 13th or whatever, and Britton gets the save, we move on to play Texas....etc.

Even say we beat Texas and lose to Cleveland like Toronto did.

Does anything change in 2018?

Britton & O'Day still gets hurt, Hardy, still gets old, we still don't upgrade the rotation......etc. That's my point. 

@beginthebegin71

#453 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

But you are missing HIS point.  He is saying the team would be shit even if Britton had been used.

Ok but you guys can't have it both ways. Remember all the banter about "get to the playoffs and anything can happen." We were in the playoffs (regardless of how good or bad the team was) and when it came to a critical situation, one that was totally in the mangers control, he shit the bed.

#454 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

If he had some help, then he had some help getting them back to relevance too. Can't praise him for one but not blame him for the other. 

It's obviously a team effort, from the FO on down to the coaches and players all contributing to what happens. I don't think the 2018 roster was as bad as what it turned out to be. No one looked at that and said, yeah, thats easily got 90+ losses written all over it. 

We can look at a number of things. The biggest black hole was Chris Davis. But Davis was supposedly working with Coolbaugh. Coolbaugh was like, no not really. Buck was like, that's news to me. So...shouldn't the manger be inquiring his hitting coach whats he doing to help a guy hitting .150? Once Palmer leaked it after that game, then Buck finally took action. His stance changed slightly the next night. Davis got fractionally better in very small doses. But what if Buck had been keen on this in the spring, before he made him his leadoff hitter, through April, May? Maybe Davis hits .200. Maybe at worst he's Joey Gallo. .190ish, 35ish bombs.

Honestly feel like Buck played a very large role in some guys regressions, leading to 116 losses.

When you lose 115 games everyone had a role,  certainly including Buck and hell yes, he had help returning them to relevance.  Never said he didn't.

@mikeghg

#455 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

Maybe, i just don't see it. Davis stinks, Britton got hurt, we didn't upgrade the rotation, never replaced Markakis & Cruz, Hardy got old....etc. There were so many things that led to the demise that culminated in this season. i just think it's tough to pin it on one thing..

Had we won that game in 15 innings, let's say, how is any of this any different? 

Yep,  Everyone tries to find a reason why things went bad.  It went bad because the team which always lived on a razors edge, never replaced leaving and struggling players, and never was able to repair a poor rotation.

It's over.

@mikeghg

#456 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

Ok Seth fair enough and I don't disagree.

• SBTarheel likes this

#457 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Bordick is interested in the job.

https://twitter.com/...905997401014276

#458 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

In the time between Davey and Buck which former O's manager would you want to see manage the team again?

I'm not saying they should, just a fun what if

#459 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

I don't really care about the manager but honestly, I don't think Bordick would be a bad choice.

I think what he will value is important.  Who knows if he will ever be a guy to take us to another level but why is he any worse than Cora, Boone, etc....?  

#460 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

Bordick is interested in the job.

https://twitter.com/...905997401014276

Me too. I can win at least 50 games. Book it.

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=