#481 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:31 AM

I'm over it.  That team wasn't winning it all anyway (2014 was the year it should have happened), is that jut a coping mechanism by me to not let that game bother me so much, probably. 

#482 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:36 AM

This is the second time he acts mysterious. He won’t say what he apparently wants to say but by saying what he does he tries to take away the responsibility for the Ubaldo/Britton move. He’s throwing shade at Britton but acting like he’s taking the high road. I think it’s weak. Telling the truth, if there actually is a story to tell would be better than what he’s doing. Personally, I think he’s still embarrassed by the move and trying to deflect.

Britton has talked about it openly. Buck has not.

Read this, an interview done at the time. No mystery. Just what seems like the truth.

https://www.sporting...ny1fhfyygoax7mh

By the way, I was surprised A.J. went there, especially like the first question. Boom!

They had Britton on right before Buck. Cant tell me that wasnt planned to some degree to transition into asking about it. Zack said that he and Buck never talked about it. Buck usually goes out of his way to protect and praise players but I agree there is something about Zack that seems to get his goat. Def agree there is passive aggressiveness there. He even did it with Adam asking him whats so funny to him. About as flustered as Ive seen Buck. Was only a min or two but it was an interesting exchange

#483 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:28 AM

They had Britton on right before Buck. Cant tell me that wasnt planned to some degree to transition into asking about it. Zack said that he and Buck never talked about it. Buck usually goes out of his way to protect and praise players but I agree there is something about Zack that seems to get his goat. Def agree there is passive aggressiveness there. He even did it with Adam asking him whats so funny to him. About as flustered as Ive seen Buck. Was only a min or two but it was an interesting exchange

Sorry. I’ve heard Britton talk about, seen Bucks interview after the game, and now years later Buck makes it sound like there were other reasons he didn’t bring Britton in but he can’t talk about it. I don’t buy it. The truth is in the interview after the game.
  • makoman likes this

#484 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 05:44 PM

Whether Buck manages again, or not, that in-game decision seems to stand as his biggest mistake. 

That's not to suggest that it defines his career, because it doesn't. But it's still being talked about.

If only he didn't record that MASN promo, "I don't believe in the Saves rule, I believe in the Wins rule"...Ouch

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#485 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:35 PM

Yeah that just makes it all look worse the save rule thing. This went deeper than just the save rule. I also dont buy Buck is throwing passive/aggressive shade at Zack now only to cover his ass 8 years later. Wrong or right there is another part of this that Buck feels played a part but he wont say what that is. Maybe someday after its certain he wont manage anymore he will tell his side without feeling he has to wear one

#486 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:04 PM

Glad someone brought this up, as I've been a loyal Buck defender since that night, but damn if that wasn't weird. He did seem to be implying that there was more to it, which as someone said above, was really odd almost 8 years later. 

@beginthebegin71

#487 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 04:26 AM

Yeah that just makes it all look worse the save rule thing. This went deeper than just the save rule. I also dont buy Buck is throwing passive/aggressive shade at Zack now only to cover his ass 8 years later. Wrong or right there is another part of this that Buck feels played a part but he wont say what that is. Maybe someday after its certain he wont manage anymore he will tell his side without feeling he has to wear one

If he has something to say he should say it. Otherwise, he should keep it to himself. He says he’s wearing it but he’s trying to not wear it.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#488 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 06:45 AM

If Britton wasn’t available he would’ve just said that. if Britton looked like crap pre-game, he might not have said something, but perhaps had a gut that it wouldn’t end well that day relying on him.

Who knows. 

I will say this though: this team needs more relevant games in the rearview mirror so that whatever the hell happened that night is no longer well, relevant. 

#489 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:32 AM

If Britton wasn’t available he would’ve just said that. if Britton looked like crap pre-game, he might not have said something, but perhaps had a gut that it wouldn’t end well that day relying on him.

Who knows.

I will say this though: this team needs more relevant games in the rearview mirror so that whatever the hell happened that night is no longer well, relevant.

All just very interesting reaction from Buck. It ultimately doesnt matter anymore. I still think Buck may have got the word that Zack was sore or hurting but Zack was never gonna officially take himself out of the biggest game of the year. A winner take all game. Just a guess. Its either that or Buck didnt like Zack getting up and throwing on his own. Which I cant confirm that Buck didnt call down to warm him up. If Buck called down and said #53 it takes away my theory that he planned on him secretly being unavailable or heavily preferrerd not to use him.

#490 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 08:55 AM

Everyone craps on Ubaldo, rightfully so. And clearly you're taking Britton over Ubaldo in that situation, but Ubaldo had a very good second half that year. He posted a 2.82 ERA and had a WHIP of 1.

Not saying it was the right choice, obviously it wasn't, but it's not like Buck just threw his worse reliever out there.

And has been stated - that team was a dumpster fire running on E. The fact that they won 89 games to begin with is incredible.

#491 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:09 AM

Everyone craps on Ubaldo, rightfully so. And clearly you're taking Britton over Ubaldo in that situation, but Ubaldo had a very good second half that year. He posted a 2.82 ERA and had a WHIP of 1.

Not saying it was the right choice, obviously it wasn't, but it's not like Buck just threw his worse reliever out there.

And has been stated - that team was a dumpster fire running on E. The fact that they won 89 games to begin with is incredible.

Zack noted how much they had to grind to make it in '16. He said he thought '15 was the year they were best primed. The injured guys coming back. Adam chipped in and said yeah and we spent essentially nothing heading into '15. Lost Markakis and Cruz two big parts of the '14 team.

#492 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:16 AM

One last thing on Buck. In a previous interview he made the same type of reference like “there’s stuff I can’t talk about”, so when he starts to say something and then stops it’s totally orchestrated on his part.

Let me add, I have nothing against Buck. I didn’t even have a huge problem with that move. Britton was the right move but it looked like the Orioles would never score. He went against the book and lost.

#493 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:25 AM

Zack noted how much they had to grind to make it in '16. He said he thought '15 was the year they were best primed. The injured guys coming back. Adam chipped in and said yeah and we spent essentially nothing heading into '15. Lost Markakis and Cruz two big parts of the '14 team.

Individually I understand the moves or lack thereof. Markakis kinda seemed like he was breaking down, hadn't been the same since the 2012 HBP and needed neck surgery. Cruz was an old DH which often doesn't age well. But they should have done something when you just had the best team in the AL. No one would have guessed Tillman, Norris, and Gonzalez would be awful, but we were primed for a step backward with the guys we lost. But that was the Duquette Blue Jays offseason.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#494 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:31 AM

One last thing on Buck. In a previous interview he made the same type of reference like “there’s stuff I can’t talk about”, so when he starts to say something and then stops it’s totally orchestrated on his part.

Let me add, I have nothing against Buck. I didn’t even have a huge problem with that move. Britton was the right move but it looked like the Orioles would never score. He went against the book and lost.

Interesting that hes said that before. Thats the first time I had heard him hint around at something else going on. Again, not saying Buck is in the right but I also dont think hes making something up or being cryptic to use it as cover. There was something else that happened in his opinion

#495 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:32 AM

https://www.usatoday...-jays/91590518/

https://www.sporting...df1ugv43fhzrlx8

https://www.cbssport...wild-card-game/

https://youtu.be/KvY...6rhOJIrQf3t5oOU

#496 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:38 AM

Interesting that hes said that before. Thats the first time I had heard him hint around at something else going on. Again, not saying Buck is in the right but I also dont think hes making something up or being cryptic to use it as cover. There was something else that happened in his opinion

I think he is making something up and being cryptic to give himself cover. We just disagree. Look at all of the interviews, including one on video of Britton. It’s all there. Buck’s thinking. He keeps mentioning they were on the road. There’s no secrets here. It just bothers Buck so much that years later he’s trying to deflect.

#497 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:40 AM

15 was rough because the SP regressed so much from 14. Chen was still good, Ubaldo and Gausman were league average, and Tillman, Gonzalez, and Norris were horrible.

Those 2015 and 2016 were massively aided by dominant BPs and HR power. How'd a team with a starting rotation including Ubaldo, Yovani Gallardo, Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright, and Wade Miley ever win 89 games?

#498 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:44 AM

Except you left out a key parameter. Ubaldo was not good in first innings. That same season I saw him in Tampa. Gave up 3 runs in the first and made you wonder if he'd be lucky enough to get through 4. Well he pitched a complete game. So yeah his era was very good but his first inning number were not.

#499 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:49 AM

It is always a good interview with Buck.  He really loves the game and it shows when he talks.

As for the Britton situation, I am over that.  I have always felt like there was a piece of the story, that we do not know.   Buck did a hell of a job here,  

@mikeghg

#500 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:51 AM

I think he is making something up and being cryptic to give himself cover. We just disagree. Look at all of the interviews, including one on video of Britton. It’s all there. Buck’s thinking. He keeps mentioning they were on the road. There’s no secrets here. It just bothers Buck so much that years later he’s trying to deflect.

I don't think it bothers him much at all.  He gets asked about it, all the time and he just accepts it.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=