#401 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

2012 changed when Manny came up.

He certainly helped the team play great down the stretch, but I think the turnaround from mediocre to really good actually started a week or two prior to his promotion.

#402 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Thanks Buck
  • Mackus likes this

#403 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

By the way, it's crazy how fast things move in baseball.  2014 wasn't THAT long ago, but Davis and Caleb are the only two players left, as far as I can tell.

And Balt and KC were the 2 worst teams in the sport this year.

#404 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

It's a shame that Buck will always have to carry that decision around his neck, anytime people talk about his career as a manager it will be mentioned. It was certainly an indefensible series of choices, particularly the final iteration when it came down to Ubaldo with runners on base. As big of a mistake as is possible to make.

It was David Cone before the Britton game. Those decisions will always be associated with him.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#405 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

I think the best defense for it is that it worked for a while.  It worked multiple times that game.  I'd have gone to Britton as early as the 8th inning if I'm remembering correctly.  Let him go for 2 innings and then see if we can score, turn to other relievers (starting with my most trusted and working backwards).  I've always hated how managers use their bullpen on the road, makes no sense to me to use a less reliable gu in a tie game where one run beats you rather than your best guy.  If you get the lead and then have to go to a lesser guy, if he gives up a run you're still in the game rather than having lost.

But Buck kept going to other options.  Some guys we trust (O'Day, Brach...Givens was great earlier in the game).  And other guys that we didn't trust (Duensing) who still got it done.  The 8th, 9th, and 10th were all innings I'd have turned to Britton, but Buck didn't and it worked out.  Not going to Britton for the 11th when we had used up all the guys we trust, though, I can't defend that.  At that point you could have used Britton for the 11th and 12th, and then gone to Ubaldo if it went real long and he would be able to go for a long time as a SP if the game got stupid long.

TBH, I would have given it to Britton when they brought Givens in (the 5th?). Let him go 2 full and then hope for the best after that. I thought putting Givens in was playing with fire, but luckily they got out of it. 

I keep asking this, but...was Bundy on the roster? I forget.

#406 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:10 PM

I have been a huge fan of Buck but it was time.   He has done a lot for this organization.  He brought back relevance to the Orioles. 

Thanks Buck,  unfortunately you became the voice of the Orioles and when things go wrong the most visible people take most of the blame.  

Interesting to me, it says he met with ownership.  Which Angelos did he talk too.

He owns the Britton move.  Still not sure what he was thinking, but I have moved on from that.  That team was not very good, and the fact they were there, in part should be to his credit.

Thanks Buck, the organization is lesser without you in it.

@mikeghg

#407 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

I keep asking this, but...was Bundy on the roster? I forget.

Yeah, they had Bundy and Tommy Hunter in addition to Britton and Ubaldo. I looked it up recently.

https://www.mlb.com/...ter/c-204897360

#408 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:18 PM

And Balt and KC were the 2 worst teams in the sport this year.

Detroit and San Francisco was the World Series matchup in 2012...5 years later, they were the #1 and 2 pick..

Things move quick..

@beginthebegin71

#409 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

Addition by subtraction.
@BSLMikeRandall

#410 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, they had Bundy and Tommy Hunter in addition to Britton and Ubaldo. I looked it up recently.

https://www.mlb.com/...ter/c-204897360

See, then I can justify Britton not coming in, but NOT Ubaldo coming out. That part I just can't understand. 

#411 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the good years, Buck. They were some of the best years of my life as an Orioles fan. I'm not sure they'll be surpassed either.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#412 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

See, then I can justify Britton not coming in, but NOT Ubaldo coming out. That part I just can't understand. 

You can't justify Britton not pitching in that situation.

Even if you are ok with Ubaldo starting the inning(remember, Ubaldo had pitched very well in the second half), Britton not coming in to face EE was an indefensible decision.  

#413 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

The day he came on as manager, Woodberry Kitchen had a cocktail on their menu called The Showalter. Damn, seems like it was yesterday. Now he's gone.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#414 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

Good luck Buck.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#415 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the good years, Buck. They were some of the best years of my life as an Orioles fan. I'm not sure they'll be surpassed either.

I am not sure why Sean, but that statement depresses the hell out of me.

I am old enough, to have seen the real glory years of Oriole baseball, and as good as 2012 and 2016 were, they were not their equal.

Now we are seemingly stuck with an incompetent GM.  It worries me we will never see those type years again.

@mikeghg

#416 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

Even if you are ok with Ubaldo starting the inning(remember, Ubaldo had pitched very well in the second half), Britton not coming in to face EE was an indefensible decision.  

Ubaldo actually didn't start the inning.  Duensing came on to get a lefty out.  Ubaldo came in to face a couple righties, both of whom got hits.

It actually was only something like 3 or 4 pitches thrown to get himself into the two-on with one out jam.  Then Encarnacion I think hit the first pitch he saw out of the park.  I was over very quickly.  Totally agree that you need to go to Britton there.  If you weren't going to have Britton ready and warm to come in because you didn't want to burn him out in the bullpen, then just go to him to begin the inning.

• SBTarheel likes this

#417 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, I posted literally the day before the game, "whoever 'fixed' Ubaldo deserves an instant raise"...and then...

#418 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Ubaldo actually didn't start the inning.  Duensing came on to get a lefty out.  Ubaldo came in to face a couple righties, both of whom got hits.

It actually was only something like 3 or 4 pitches thrown to get himself into the two-on with one out jam.  Then Encarnacion I think hit the first pitch he saw out of the park.  I was over very quickly.  Totally agree that you need to go to Britton there.  If you weren't going to have Britton ready and warm to come in because you didn't want to burn him out in the bullpen, then just go to him to begin the inning.

Yea, Duensing started the inning to get Carrerra. Obviously there was never any intent in going to Britton unless it was a save situation. Mack is dead on here, it happened so damn fast.. 

But no manager since is getting beat without their best on the road. 

Wade Davis pitched in the 8th last night to get out of the inning where the Cubs tied it, 

@beginthebegin71

#419 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

Where ever he goes, he's wining Manager of the Year six years from now.

#420 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

I'll miss Buck. But the 2016 Wild Card Game was the beginning of the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=