#141 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

I would rather pay 3/30 for Nate in the offseason, after seeing a larger sample size vs paying him 2/14 now.

You have no idea what you draft, who becomes available, etc...I would rather wait and see if better options are put in front of us.

#142 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Extending Nate is an interesting consideration, but I think while doing so, we also need to look at potential free agents for next year:

Ellsbury

Choo

Granderson

Beltran

Nelson Cruz

Pence

Morse

Coco Crisp

#143 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I personally don't want to make an offer at all...maybe in the offseason but you are still talking about a platoon guy who has had 4 good months in the last 3 years.

He's had 4 good months in the last 4 months. That said, I don't disagree that waiting a few more months isn't a bad idea. 

#144 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Extending Nate is an interesting consideration, but I think while doing so, we also need to look at potential free agents for next year:

Ellsbury

Choo

Granderson

Beltran

Nelson Cruz

Pence

Morse

Coco Crisp

I would love to sign Choo but I don't think they will go after him due to cost.

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Season: .286 baa, 9 doubles, 3 hr's, 10 rbi, 17 bb's, 14 k's, 11 steals, 1 cs, .812 OPS

Nate is just 7 for 41 in May (.502 OPS).

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Season: .283 baa, 19 doubles, 6 hr's, 16 rbi, 33 bb's, 41 k's, 24 steals, 4 cs, .767 OPS

#147 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

MASN: What should the Orioles do with McLouth? (with Jurrjens note)

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/07/what-should-the-orioles-do-with-mclouth.html

I'd like to see him comeback, I doubt he'd be too costly. If there's someone who is clear upgrade over him, sure go for them. I'm wondering if they'd be open to a multi-year deal? Would another team give him as such, I would think so.

@levineps

#148 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,806 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

We'll be lucky to get a box of horsedung for Jurrjens in trade...

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#149 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

McLouth is one of those guys on the team that quietly makes it better. The Orioles seem to be building outfield depth but Nate makes contributions on all aspects of play. Sign him for 2 years. He has watched his career  be revitalized here and fits in with this team so it should happen at a reasonable cost.

• BSLChrisStoner and Oriole85 like this
@mikeghg

#150 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Totally up in the air right now.

See how he finishes.

#151 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

2 years at most. So much will depend on the cost. Don't want to be giving him a 3/15 mil contract.

#152 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Totally up in the air right now.

See how he finishes.

Agree with this.

He's definitely not a guy you lock up early, IMO.  I'd like him back over not having a plan for LF next season, but there are certainly also better options (though more expensive either through trade or contract) that will likely be available.

Let's see what Nate continues to do and then re-assess in the offseason.  I really can't see him doing anything that would make me want to commit much more than 2-3 years at a max of maybe $6-7M a year, and likely would be lower than that. 

If he continues to play like he has since he's gotten here though, and no better options present themselves in the offseason (I dream of Shin-Shoo Choo, but no way they spent what it'll take to get him), I'd be very content with bringing back Nate on a 2/$12M type contract.  I think the contract DeJesus signed with the Cubs before 2012 (2/$10M with a club option to make it 3/$15M) is a very good comp, McLouth compares similarly in production, style, and age to DeJesus when he signed that deal.

#153 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

2 years at most. So much will depend on the cost. Don't want to be giving him a 3/15 mil contract.

I don't think that's on the table. And yes it depends on cost, but that's everyone. I'm thinking either 1-2 years, possibly an option on the table. $4-6 million per.

For everyone with the "wait and see," I agree with you but you can say that with many players. I'm making the assumption he posts similar stats after the break. A big regression and no I wouldn't want to sign him to anything more than a 4th OFer (same salary as he currently is).

I think he wants to be here, he'll be relatively cheap (I believe he turned down better deals last year); again if the organization wants to do a serious upgrade in left I'm all for it. If it's going to be a marginal replacement at best, I'd like him back.

@levineps

#154 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

We're talking about a guy who is on pace to be worth around 13M based on rWAR (my phone struggles with fangraphs).

So he may be looking at more than the figures being thrown around on here. That said, I don't like paying 10+ million for a sub 3 WAR guy.

As Mackus said, Choo is the dream, but assuming that doesn't happen, I'd gladly take Nate back for around 2/12 if he keeps playing well.

#155 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

"As Mackus said, Choo is the dream, but assuming that doesn't happen, I'd gladly take Nate back for around 2/12 if he keeps playing well."

I bet the Reds end up trying to resign Choo. They just realized that Billy Hamilton cannot hit and this presents a problem for their long term plan. That being said, I think the Orioles need to bring back McLouth on a 2 year deal and try to bring along Urruita, Hoes and or Avery as a back up and platoon DH. Keeping McLouth around until he's 33 wouldn't be that bad. He's a great outfielder, he enjoys being on this team and Buck really likes him. 

There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#156 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I think you try to sign him on a one year deal with maybe an option.  He probably gets to command a multiyear deal and a starting position given that he has shown (so far) that last year was not a fluke, that he can stay healthy, and he is not a completely inept platoon player.

He certainly has surprised me to the extent that he hit the ceiling I had for him, which is roughly an average player in left.

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Season: 403 ab's, .278 baa, 7 hr's, 24 rbi, 39 bb's, 61 k's, 28 steals, .755 OPS

Post AS Break: .789 OPS

27 hits in April, 25 in May, June, and July.

OPS by Month:

April .964

May .689

June .684

July .770

August .631

#158 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I just don't get what happened to the steals. He's still getting on base he's just not running.

#159 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I just don't get what happened to the steals. He's still getting on base he's just not running.

This team has great power but terrible OBP.  Not stealing is the right decision and I bet that edict came down from Buck.  Aside from specific situations where you really need one run or perhaps when there are 2 outs and the hitter is down in the count so the risk is lower, I don't think Nate should be running very often, even though his success rate is high.

#160 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

This team has great power but terrible OBP.  Not stealing is the right decision and I bet that edict came down from Buck.  Aside from specific situations where you really need one run or perhaps when there are 2 outs and the hitter is down in the count so the risk is lower, I don't think Nate should be running very often, even though his success rate is high.

The two guys that hit behind him are not power hitters though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=