185 replies to this topic

#181 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm not sure you are getting what I'm saying.  It doesn't matter who is behind Nate, that's irrelevant to my point.  If he gets caught stealing, that lowers the team's effective OBP.  But if he successfully steals a base, it raises the team's effective slugging.  This team doesn't need to be in the business of gambling OBP to try and get more SLG.  We've got the SLG covered. 

Aside from specific situations where the benefit of that extra base is greater (tight game) and/or the cost of losing that baserunner is lower (2 outs / 2 strikes), I think it's a smart decision by Buck and Nate to be running less.  I wouldn't be having anybody other than Nate be stealing bases regularly at this point, since he's the only guy on the team that's even decent at it.

I guess we just have a different opinion on the matter. I do want to say I enjoy reading your thoughts on the subject and I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's a coincidence that once he stopped running Machado's numbers went down and Machado has hit a lot better with a man on 2nd opposed to a man on 1st.

#182 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Nate should be running often when he gets on with 2 outs imo. In that case the relative lack of power behind him is quite relevant I think. Even with 1 out I would recommend him stealing a fair amount.

#183 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,775 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Nate should be running often when he gets on with 2 outs imo. In that case the relative lack of power behind him is quite relevant I think. Even with 1 out I would recommend him stealing a fair amount.

I do agree that with two outs especially, the risk/reward changes.  Though when Manny was crushing doubles at a historic rate, the need wasn't as strong.  Now that he's cooled off doubles-wise, I think it makes sense for Nate to be looking to steal if he gets a 2-out single.

• McNulty likes this

#184 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

MLB.com / O's.com: X-rays negative
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#185 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

MLB.com / O's.com: X-rays negative
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

Sounds like it's the best we could've hoped for. Good to have the off-day today. The team isn't going to have much rest for the next two weeks.

@levineps

#186 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,629 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Getting hit in the knee by a 94 mph fastball has to suck.

The Orioles suddenly are a MASH unit.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=