#101 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Just depends on the situation, in a close game like I've illustrated with a runner on third with no or one out, you'd ideally not want Nate in there. That's all I'm saying. He's a liability. Now of course, a deep ball to LF, it won't matter who is playing LF, I'm going with the iffy scenario.
@levineps

#102 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,581 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Are you disagreeing with the scenario I presented, you didn't seem to debate that point. You'd rather have the stronger arm with the game in doubt like that then the better range IMO.

I guess I am disagreeing. If Reimold is starting in left field and we enter the 9th inning with a one run lead, I'm bringing in McLouth to replace him every time.

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I guess I am disagreeing. If Reimold is starting in left field and we enter the 9th inning with a one run lead, I'm bringing in McLouth to replace him every time.

I agree, even with the weak arm, McLouth is a vastly superior defender to Reimold, IMO.

You don't usually pull the better defender and put in a weaker one with a better arm in the 9th. I don't think I've ever seen that done. I've certainly never seen it done mid-inning once you get to a sac fly situation.

#104 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

That's not the exact scenario I presented -- runner on third and less than two outs, I would take McLouth out for a stronger arm (if available). Yes, I agree with going into the 9th and a one-run lead if Reimold is in the game, replacing him with McLouth however. But then again, I think McLouth might have the LF job instead of Reimold.
@levineps

#105 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

I agree, even with the weak arm, McLouth is a vastly superior defender to Reimold, IMO.

You don't usually pull the better defender and put in a weaker one with a better arm in the 9th. I don't think I've ever seen that done. I've certainly never seen it done mid-inning once you get to a sac fly situation.

Yankees did it with Johnny Damon atleast once -- sometime in the playoffs -- I believe in the 2009 ALCS.
@levineps

#106 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,581 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Yankees did it with Johnny Damon atleast once -- sometime in the playoffs -- I believe in the 2009 ALCS.

Maybe you do it in the playoffs when you're pulling out all the stops but not in the regular season.

#107 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Maybe you do it in the playoffs when you're pulling out all the stops but not in the regular season.

Yeah sure, your more likely to in the playoffs, but there's no reason to not pull off this kind of move to win a regular season game if a better option exists -- the same way you would pinch run for Wieters if that was seen as the better option. It's not overusing bullpen arms.
@levineps

#108 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yeah sure, your more likely to in the playoffs, but there's no reason to not pull off this kind of move to win a regular season game if a better option exists -- the same way you would pinch run for Wieters if that was seen as the better option. It's not overusing bullpen arms.

McLouth > Reimold (defensively). End of story.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#109 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

McLouth > Reimold (defensively). End of story.

Agree 100%. McLouth should in in the 9th even with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. Sure, on exactly the same fly ball, Reimold has the better chance of throwing the runner out. BUT McLouth might catch a ball that Reimold doesn't even get too (even though Reimold is close in underway speed). Also, despite a superior arm, Reimold is hit and miss on his accuracy. If he had Jeff Francoeurs arm and accuracy maybe I see it on some level.

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

If you want to sub someone in the OF due their arm, Davis is the man for the job.

#111 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

If you want to sub someone in the OF due their arm, Davis is the man for the job.

Yep...

He's also the man for the job if you want somebody to catch a normal fly ball in a way that gives you a thrill ride watching him do it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#112 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yep...

He's also the man for the job if you want somebody to catch a normal fly ball in a way that gives you a thrill ride watching him do it...

True, actually Davis seemed more comfortable catching the ball on the run then camping under it.
All in all for a novice he did okay.
@mikeghg

#113 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
BIll James Handbook rates McClouth as the #orioles best baserunner, and Markakis and Wieters as worst among regulars

Not much of a surprise imo.

#114 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
BIll James Handbook rates McClouth as the #orioles best baserunner, and Markakis and Wieters as worst among regulars

Not much of a surprise imo.

I think McLouth being the best is no suprise. He's probably the fastest and definitely the best basestealer. I think it's a surprise, even to me, that Markakis is amongst the worst. Again, Wieters is probably the slowest guy on the team but I think a lot of people still think that Markakis has "average speed".

#115 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I think McLouth being the best is no suprise. He's probably the fastest and definitely the best basestealer. I think it's a surprise, even to me, that Markakis is amongst the worst. Again, Wieters is probably the slowest guy on the team but I think a lot of people still think that Markakis has "average speed".

I look at base running and speed as two different things. I am not sure either is a bad base runner, just not real fast.
@mikeghg

#116 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I look at base running and speed as two different things. I am not sure either is a bad base runner, just not real fast.

I agree. IMO, Reimold is a fast base runner who has bad instincts on the bases and is less likely to take the extra base.

#117 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I agree with this. That said, it's easier to put a slower baserunner as "worst." To me a bad baserunner, can be fast, but if he gets picked off a lot, than he has bad instincts. Other things like trying to stretch a single into a double when it's not close or running on a ground ball from 2nd(no force) on a ball hit right to the shortstop, where it could be a sure out.

I'm not sure why Markakis is there.
@levineps

#118 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

From Rotographs (fantasy, but relevant)

http://www.fangraphs...w-nate-mclouth/

Just look at his plate discipline stats and you might think there was an error. Some sort of reversal perhaps. His walk rate (15.7% this year) is where his strikeout rate should be (17.1% career). And his strikeout rate (9%) is where his walk rate should be (10.1% career). It’s a bit too early to believe in the walk rate, but it’s close enough to his peak numbers that it’s fine.

Nate McLouth is swinging less than he ever has. He’s swinging at outside pitches less than he ever has. Once before, he swung at pitches in the zone at the rate he’s showing now, but yeah, that’s at a career-low too. And it’s working, as he’s making contact at a career-best rate. His 3.1% swinging strike rate is actually seventh-best in the majors, at home with such contact hitters as Martin Prado and Marco Scutaro.

Basically, McLouth has quit swinging at pitches that are down in the zone.

There are some cool swing "heat maps" in this link too. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#119 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

When I clicked on this thread to see the latest post, it took me to the first page for some reason. I decided to read through the first few pages in any event, just to see folks thoughts when we brought him in. It was fun. Good stuff.

#120 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Nate has become one of my favorite players on the team. Obviously easy to say with how well he's played over the last week or so, but even when he wasn't as hot, he covers solid ground in the outfield and seems to do a good job working counts. I'm ready to see more of him against left handed pitching, mainly because he can't do much worse than the guys who replace him in those spots.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=