#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Daniel Klein? You can pretty much forget about him at this point, unfortunately.

I think that's a little hasty. Yes, he had season ending surgery last August, but it's not a death sentence. He probably had the best stuff of any pitcher in our org. pre-Bundy.

Shoulder injuries are pretty much the death sentence.

#42 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

It's definitely worse than elbow problems. But I don't think it's a death sentence. I guess we'll see next spring
@JeffLongBP

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's definitely worse than elbow problems. But I don't think it's a death sentence. I guess we'll see next spring

Eh, I kinda agree with him, shoulders have like a 20% recovery rate or something.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm not talking about strategy. I would have had nothing against going for Carson Kelly in the 2nd round. Along with high ceiling you have to consider expectation of hitting that ceiling. I don't know enough about Kelly to venture why the O's skipped him. Boss sounds like he has a nice swing so maybe he develops. I think you take the best player available each round when factoring in ceiling and reasonable expectations. Just because one player has a little higher ceiling (all-star 3B) verses (# 3 starter) doesn't mean you take the higher ceiling guy if he has a low probability of reaching it. Not saying that's the case in this instance but it's not as simple as saying "take the higher ceiling guy".

Fair enough. But you're helping me make my point. If Kline's ceiling is a #3 starter, but he's being pigeonholed as a reliever, he'll never reach that ceiling.

As long as we are thinking of Kline as a reliever, even as a late-inning one, it's a bad choice in the 2nd round.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#45 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

You are the one pidgeonholing him as a reliever. I have every expectation that the Orioles will try to develop him as a starter and I think you'll be reading that later today or tomorrow morning.

#46 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

You are the one pidgeonholing him as a reliever. I have every expectation that the Orioles will try to develop him as a starter and I think you'll be reading that later today or tomorrow morning.

OK, fair enough. The fact that he pitched in relief all year doesn't give you pause? I also don't completely buy his ceiling as a #3, but that's a whole different story.

-Walter Sobchak

#47 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

He didn't pitch in in relief all year. He started all year long. Maybe you are thinking of someone else.

#48 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

He didn't pitch in in relief all year. He started all year long. Maybe you are thinking of someone else.

Branden Kline hasn't started a game all season! He's pitched in 32 games, all in relief. He has 18 saves for UVA.

Who are you thinking of?

-Walter Sobchak

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Branden Kline hasn't started a game all season! He's pitched in 32 games, all in relief. He has 18 saves for UVA.

Who are you thinking of?

http://www.virginias... ... amcume.htm

#50 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Who are you thinking of?

http://www.virginias... ... amcume.htm

I apologize, I was looking at his 2011 season. I will reconsider him now as a starter, although I still tend to think he's going to very quickly be put into a role of reliever.

But yes, that's me pigeonholing him, not the O's.

-Walter Sobchak

#51 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like Kline will definitely be a starter along with the other pitchers taken in the top 10.

Rajsich said just about all the pitchers the Orioles drafted were taken to be starting pitchers.

"We definitely place an emphasis on starting pitching. We believe you can find bullpen help out there, but if you want starting pitching and good starting pitching, you have to draft it."

That includes the Orioles second-round pick, University of Virginia right-hander Kline, who went 7-3 with a 3.56 ERA as a starter this year after making All ACC as the Cavaliers' closer in 2011.

"We are going to develop him as a starter and we have high hopes for him. He's got a big arm with good balance and he's a good athlete. You can work with that and make adjustments with his delivery. He has a good arsenal of weapons. It's just becoming more consistent with his delivery so he can improve his command," Rajsich said of Kline, who is from Frederick and attended Thomas Johnson High.

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like Kline will definitely be a starter along with the other pitchers taken in the top 10.

Rajsich said just about all the pitchers the Orioles drafted were taken to be starting pitchers.

"We definitely place an emphasis on starting pitching. We believe you can find bullpen help out there, but if you want starting pitching and good starting pitching, you have to draft it."

That includes the Orioles second-round pick, University of Virginia right-hander Kline, who went 7-3 with a 3.56 ERA as a starter this year after making All ACC as the Cavaliers' closer in 2011.

"We are going to develop him as a starter and we have high hopes for him. He's got a big arm with good balance and he's a good athlete. You can work with that and make adjustments with his delivery. He has a good arsenal of weapons. It's just becoming more consistent with his delivery so he can improve his command," Rajsich said of Kline, who is from Frederick and attended Thomas Johnson High.

Yea, they had to be thinking starter with him to justify the second round pick and the bonus he will get.

How quickly they move him to the pen, if he fails as a starter, will be interesting to watch.

#53 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for posting this quote from Rajsich. I am completely against taking a reliever this high in the draft. It's just so easy to find a reliever in other ways that's there's no need to take one in the 2nd round of the draft. Plus, they get hurt more often than starters and their performance fluctuates so much that they're very hard to predict.

I'm very glad to hear the O's and Rajsich seem to agree. Lets give him a real chance as a starter, and if that doesn't work out, the backup plan is always to move him to relief.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLKevinEbert

#54 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

That's quite the understatement IMO. He'll need a mechanical overhaul to maintain stuff and command it as a starter. Kudos for them for trying. He'll be a Peterson project I guess. I'm rooting for him.
@TenthInning

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

He made his first pro start tonight.

3IP, 3 runs, 4 hits, 1 walk, 5 ks.

He got 3 groundouts.

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Not a great start but I like the K's. I'm going to the game Tuesday, hope he starts.

#57 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Al Skorupa of Bullpen Banter was there and said this:

Branden Kline is out of the game now. Got hit a bit. 91-94, 2s high 80s, SL mid 80s, CB (sim. to SL) 70s, CU 80-82. Solid, but straight FB .

I'm a fan on Kline. Like his power stuff. Will be curious to see how he looks down the road as a SP.

#58 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

0-0, 4.50 ERA, 12 IP, 12 K, 4 BB

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators