#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

The fact that he is local should be meaningless.

We need higher ceiling talent, not a guy with some talent who lived 45 min from OPACY.

I am not saying he won't pan out, just that there was clearly higher upside talent available. Hopefully someone drops to R3 and we grab one.

I'm not saying there wasn't better overall talent (in regards to ceiling) available, but I believe the thought process here is that the O's could fast track him through the minors as a reliever and possibly have him up in about two seasons (if he develops well), as opposed to three or four for another selection.

I would hope that they plan on starting him if they draft him in R2.

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm not saying there wasn't better overall talent (in regards to ceiling) available, but I believe the thought process here is that the O's could fast track him through the minors as a reliever and possibly have him up in about two seasons (if he develops well), as opposed to three or four for another selection.

Unless they see him as a closer as opposed to a regular BP arm.
@JeremyMStrain

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

A low 90's closer? Doesn't sound great. I'm not big on this pick, unless they feel he can improve and develop as a starter.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Whats your take on him?

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

A low 90's closer? Doesn't sound great. I'm not big on this pick, unless they feel he can improve and develop as a starter.

95 peak, would expect more of that as a reliever. Depending on who you source, he was a Top 60-85 guy. No real problem with the pick.

As noted in previous links, some think he can start. I like the pick better myself if he will be used in relief. Do get the idea that if you are going to use in relief, you could've grabbed others with perhaps a higher ceiling there. Just think once the pick is made, use him where he appears most likely to have success, and chance to help quickly.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

95 peak, would expect more of that as a reliever. Depending on who you source, he was a Top 60-85 guy. No real problem with the pick.

As noted in previous links, some think he can start. I like the pick better myself if he will be used in relief. Do get the idea that if you are going to use in relief, you could've grabbed others with perhaps a higher ceiling there. Just think once the pick is made, use him where he appears most likely to have success, and chance to help quickly.

Fair enough. Sorry, I haven't read all the links - I thought I read 91-92.

#27 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I agree with you on this.

He makes more sense to fast track as a reliever and then work him in as a closer along the way. He has the mental makeup to becomea pretty good closer when you consider that last season, as the team’s closer, he was named to the All-ACC first team and a finalist for the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Stopper of the Year award after posting 18 saves.

I think he could be up in two seasons if he's handled properly and avoids injury.

We do need some guys in the system that can close games out and close them out effectively - Jim Johnson won't be around forever and while we could technically throw anyone into the closers role...nothing is guaranteed at any spot on the roster.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I do agree with this.

Personally, I would put him as a reliever right now.

But part of me says, if you think he can start and you draft him in R2, you better give him that chance. The only issue is, it will probably be a 2-3 year project.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Whats your take on him?

I like him. Had him in that group of players with Ramsey, O'Brien, Fontana, Brady etc. of players to keep an eye on after day 1. I've seen him a couple times, real good as a RP, can get it up in the 96-97 range as a RP. Couple avg secondaries, but enough that I might consider the Wright approach and give him some time starting in the minors until he hits the wall and then move him to the pen. With Jake A., Wright, Simon, and Kline, we have some really good pieces for a cheap pen for the future.

Lost in all this complaining about him just being a RP, is the fact that he's a GOOD bet to make it to the ML, which is more than you can say for a lot of guys taken in this range.
@JeremyMStrain

#30 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

I really dislike this pick. I will trust that Rajisch knows more than I know, but it seems to me that this is a waste. I'd have been more content if we'd have taken Marin in the 2nd round and Kline in the 3rd. I'd still be bothered, but not as much.

As it is, Marin is a great pick in the 3rd round, but Kline should have been left for someone else. There's no reason to take a reliever, even a closer, that high in the 2nd round. I'd much have preferred a higher ceiling guy.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Whats your take on him?

I like him. Had him in that group of players with Ramsey, O'Brien, Fontana, Brady etc. of players to keep an eye on after day 1. I've seen him a couple times, real good as a RP, can get it up in the 96-97 range as a RP. Couple avg secondaries, but enough that I might consider the Wright approach and give him some time starting in the minors until he hits the wall and then move him to the pen. With Jake A., Wright, Simon, and Kline, we have some really good pieces for a cheap pen for the future.

Lost in all this complaining about him just being a RP, is the fact that he's a GOOD bet to make it to the ML, which is more than you can say for a lot of guys taken in this range.

See, that's a good point.

I prefer a higher ceiling guy right there.

HOWEVER, getting a "safe" player that will likely contribute in the majors has a lot of value to it as well.

#32 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

I really dislike this pick. I will trust that Rajisch knows more than I know, but it seems to me that this is a waste. I'd have been more content if we'd have taken Marin in the 2nd round and Kline in the 3rd. I'd still be bothered, but not as much.

As it is, Marin is a great pick in the 3rd round, but Kline should have been left for someone else. There's no reason to take a reliever, even a closer, that high in the 2nd round. I'd much have preferred a higher ceiling guy.

I'm not so sure Kline would have fallen to the 3rd round. The Red Sox drafted him in 2009 and probably would have taken a chance on him had he of still been available to them with the 87th selection. Not saying they would have with 100% certainty, just saying they're familiar enough with him that would've warranted drafting him again.

#33 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Whats your take on him?

Yes, he will make it to the majors (barring injury) and probably settle in no worse than an average middle reliever who can eat some innings. Realistically, he's probably a 7th-8th inning guy. He could close or be a high leverage bullpen ace if he can fix some command issues. I just don't see starter ceiling unless, as the Camden Depot guys mentioned, you rebuild him from scratch. His entire delivery is built toward deception and explosion in short stints. Stretched out he loses command and velocity. I think he's a fine arm to have in the system, but I would have gone for higher upside at 65 with plenty of options available. That's why he was a non-consider for me at that stage.
@TenthInning

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm not so sure Kline would have fallen to the 3rd round. The Red Sox drafted him in 2009 and probably would have taken a chance on him had he of still been available to them with the 87th selection. Not saying they would have with 100% certainty, just saying they're familiar enough with him that would've warranted drafting him again.

And if he didn't, you would have been able to draft a pitcher that profiles as a late inning reliever anyway.

#35 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

And if he didn't, you would have been able to draft a pitcher that profiles as a late inning reliever anyway.

Sure, but one that already profiles to make it to the bigs with the same level of confidence scouts/analysts have in Kline?

Not so sure that's as much of a given as you're suggesting. The draft is incredibly hit or miss, even in the first round. If you can snag a guy that projects to actually make it to the majors as opposed to someone you "think" or "hope" will make it to the majors than you pull the trigger on making that selection IF the drop off in talent and the confidence you have another player will make it to the bigs is large enough.

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yep, see that side of it too. Did you see him at all 2 years ago? Not just this past year? His mechanics were different as a RP than they were this year as a SP, still not perfect, but they were a bit cleaner. You can tell he made some tweaks last year adjusting to SP, and I do agree that he PROBABLY ends up as a RP, but I have this lingering feeling that if he can rework his mechanics for starting he could be better than people think. He does have some tools.
@JeremyMStrain

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sure, but one that already profiles to make it to the bigs with the same level of confidence scouts/analysts have in Kline?

Not so sure that's as much of a given as you're suggesting. The draft is incredibly hit or miss, even in the first round. If you can snag a guy that projects to actually make it to the majors as opposed to someone you "think" or "hope" will make it to the majors than you pull the trigger on making that selection IF the drop off in talent and the confidence you have another player will make it to the bigs is large enough.

So, you think its ok when you have a poor system to go for a lower ceiling talent because you like his chances a little more to make the majors vs this year's versions of Wright, Howard, etc...? (ie, later round picks from major programs that are starters likely to be switched to relievers)

I would rather have both, not one.

#38 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Love this pick. Future of Klein & Kline in the 'pen is enticing.

He got drfted in the 6th round out of HS at Thomas Johnson in Frederick. Played against him in HS, nasty stuff, fastball sat maybe 88-92.

My understanding is that he should be able to reach 95 pretty easily in the 'pen, maybe 90-93 as a starter. Was poorly handled IMO by UVA which likely hurt his stats this season.
@JeffLongBP

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

He got drfted in the 6th round out of HS at Thomas Johnson in Frederick. Played against him in HS, nasty stuff, fastball sat maybe 88-92.

My understanding is that he should be able to reach 95 pretty easily in the 'pen, maybe 90-93 as a starter. Was poorly handled IMO by UVA which likely hurt his stats this season.

Daniel Klein? You can pretty much forget about him at this point, unfortunately.

#40 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Daniel Klein? You can pretty much forget about him at this point, unfortunately.

I think that's a little hasty. Yes, he had season ending surgery last August, but it's not a death sentence. He probably had the best stuff of any pitcher in our org. pre-Bundy.
@JeffLongBP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=