667 replies to this topic

#561 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Adam Jones and Christian Yelich lead a victory lap with the U.S. flag.

#562 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

The Puerto Rican team, gracious in defeat, applauds the U.S. team and exchanges pleasantries and congratulations with their victorious opponents.

• Mike in STL likes this

#563 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Postgame interview with Jim Leyland:

"Thanks, Matty. Well, skip, how about this team?"

"Well, they were great, they were. You know, it's....Yeah, I don't know what to say. This is, you know, I got a chance to manage my country, coaches got a chance to coach for our country, the players got a chance to play for our country, but you know what, this is for the people who've served our country." [walks away]

"There he is, Jim Leyland. The last game he's ever gonna manage, Matty. How 'bout that as a way to go out?"

• Dr. FLK likes this

#564 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

MLBN botches the start of the medal ceremony since they decided to run a long commercial break.

#565 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

The bald eagle statue is again hoisted, and set on the corner of the stage.

#566 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:13 AM

Manfred presents Leyland with the trophy. Confetti rains down.

#567 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

Leyland paraphrases his postgame interview as his acceptance remarks.

#568 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:15 AM

Stroman is named tournament MVP.

#569 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:32 AM

Greg Amsinger: "I need Adam Jones. Do we have an Adam Jones? Ha ha, I want to talk to you, man. Listen, you knew the pressure on Team USA to finally do this. The United States has won the World Baseball Classic. How important is it?"

"It's important to, to...grace the field with these great men right here. I couldn't be prouder. I could not be prouder. Everyone who wanted to play is playin', and we brought it home for the United States. Tip our caps to Team Puerto Rico and everybody else in the tournament, but we did somethin' special and I was happy to be a part of it."

"Last time you guys played Puerto Rico, it wasn't easy. Was there something said before this game, going into the championship?"

[looks behind him]"Should I tell the truth?"

"Yes, tell the truth. We want to know."

"Tell the truth? Well, before the game, we uh, we got a note that some Championships shirts [were] made, we didn't make 'em. And a flight. That didn't sit well with us....And a parade. It didn't sit well with us, so, we did what we had to do. Stroman went out there and gave us his all. The players, they battled, the offense swung the bats [crowd noise]....Hey!, and we brought it home for the United States.

"Adam Jones, Adam, thank you. One more round of applause for the champions of [the] 2017 World Baseball Classic, Team USA."

• Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game, The Epic and 2 others like this

#570 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:34 AM

Team picture at the mound. Jones and others hold the flag, with MVP trophy, bald eagle statue, and WBC trophy in front, left to right.

#571 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Jones gives some commentary with the MLB Tonight crew. Effusive praise for Yelich. Also praises Crawford as "one of the big factors" in Team USA's championship performance. Describes the WBC as basically a very special experience.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#572 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Man - this thing is just fun.  The Latin American teams/fans bring out the fun in baseball with all of their emotion.  Puerto Rico...coming back out onto the field after the loss...tipping their caps to the US team and all the fans...just awesome.  What a great event.  Baseball's regular season needs some more fun in it...maybe they can get some ideas from this.

• BSLChrisStoner, SBTarheel, NewMarketSean and 4 others like this

#573 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

I've been a fan of the wbc since the beginning. Had kidney stones back in 2006 when they were playing so I was laid up watching the games. It was a fun, novel thing back then but it's much bigger now, much more exciting all the way around. Glad the USA brought it home...I always thought it was kinda embarrassing that we never won it before, but it just makes this even sweeter, and to have Adam Jones front and center during it, even better. Already looking forward to 2021.
  • SBTarheel and The Epic like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#574 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

and to have Adam Jones front and center during it, even better.

Low OBP, big impact... that's our boy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#575 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Man - this thing is just fun.  The Latin American teams/fans bring out the fun in baseball with all of their emotion.  Puerto Rico...coming back out onto the field after the loss...tipping their caps to the US team and all the fans...just awesome.  What a great event.  Baseball's regular season needs some more fun in it...maybe they can get some ideas from this.

this. 

It's ok to celebrate, pump the fist on a big strikeout, whatever. 

@beginthebegin71

#576 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

this. 

It's ok to celebrate, pump the fist on a big strikeout, whatever. 

Exactly.  What gets lost is that these guys DO understand the respect for the game and the opponent.  They just like to have fun too.

#577 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

I really wish I had the time available the last couple days to watch these games. Missed the semis and the final.

@BSLMikeRandall

#578 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

http://www.espn.com/...wbc-party-plans

Lol...I'm pretty sure Jones is going to basically say, go f yourself.

#579 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

Molina sounds like a baby here.

The Os play the Cards this year. Wonder if Yadi will call for AJ to wear one.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#580 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

I've been a fan of the wbc since the beginning. Had kidney stones back in 2006 when they were playing so I was laid up watching the games. It was a fun, novel thing back then but it's much bigger now, much more exciting all the way around. Glad the USA brought it home...I always thought it was kinda embarrassing that we never won it before, but it just makes this even sweeter, and to have Adam Jones front and center during it, even better. Already looking forward to 2021.

Nobody wants to say it, but I think this is one of the easiest quick fixes that would have a positive influence on the MLB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=