667 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

http://web.worldbase...c.com/index.jsp

Qualifiers for the WBC are coming up...(I'm interested to see what teams like Canada do, who clearly will have MLB players still playing their games. I guess they'll have to use their "B team" for qualifiers.)

Qualifier 1: France, Israel, South Africa, Spain
September 19-23, 2012
Jupiter, Florida

Qualifier 2: Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Great Britain
September 20-24, 2012
Regensburg, Germany

Qualifier 3: Brazil, Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama
November 15-19, 2012
Panama City, Panama

Qualifier 4: Chinese Taipei, New Zealand, The Philippines, Thailand
November 15-18, 2012
New Taipei City, Taiwan

MAIN TOURNAMENT: March 2013
Locations already announced: Championship Round: AT&T Park, Second Round: Marlins Ballpark (1 of 2), First Round: Chase Field (1 of 4)

12 of these qualifying teams have never been in the WBC. Four of them (Canada, Panama, South Africa, Chinese Taipei) did not win a game in the 2009 WBC which forces them into the qualifying round.

Other teams in the tournament: Australia, China, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Netherlands, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, United States, Venezuela

A look at all of the caps that the national teams will be wearing: http://shop.mlb.com/... ... VSearch=no

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I personally think this tournament is waste of time. Baseball will NEVER be soccer in this aspect. And unless you have the best US players playings, it's borderline pointless. I just think it takes away from Spring Training as well. I understand why baseball is doing it, I'd much rather see them bring back baseball in the Olympics with amateur/minor league players.
@levineps

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,026 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Love the idea of the WBC, hate the execution. Once every 4 years, I'd like to see the AS Break last two weeks, and have this played.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Love the idea of the WBC, hate the execution. Once every 4 years, I'd like to see the AS Break last two weeks, and have this played.

Agreed on both of your points.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

The problem I see is that the other major sports tend to hold their world championships during the offseason, which prevents a disruption of the season and also allows additional time for players to rest after the previous and before the next season.

I would love to see the WBC held in December and January. That gives most of the players involved two months before and more than a month after the tournament to recover. The final might never be held in Yankee Stadium, but it isn't already.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

And shorten the season? That's the only way to do that, which I'm not sure either the players or owners would go for.

I agree with you it's poorly executed but stopping the season isn't the best way to do it IMO. It works OK in hockey where games aren't every day. But baseball is a different animal. It could be very detrimental for pitching routines.

A bit unrelated, but they eliminated baseball in the Olympics because the best players wouldn't compete and MLB wasn't willing to take off a few weeks for that. The one concession they made was to take off a day or not allow games to be broadcast for the Finals. But that wasn't good enough.
@levineps

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,026 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

And shorten the season? That's the only way to do that, which I'm not sure either the players or owners would go for.

You don't necessarily have to shorten the season. For example, you could start the season a week earlier, and finish a week later.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

The problem I see is that the other major sports tend to hold their world championships during the offseason, which prevents a disruption of the season and also allows additional time for players to rest after the previous and before the next season.

I would love to see the WBC held in December and January. That gives most of the players involved two months before and more than a month after the tournament to recover. The final might never be held in Yankee Stadium, but it isn't already.

That's a good idea in theory, but I can't see the players is exactly looking forward to that and wanting to do it while they are used to vacationing, regular off-season conditioning, and being with their families. They do it in basketball though, so might work?

Truth be told, there's not a great time to do it. The WBC is a great idea and all, I just don't think it's going to succeed. I'd love to be proven wrong.
@levineps

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

I wish they'd do it in early- and mid- Dec, during that time window when College Football Inc. is stupid enough to coming to a screeching halt for a dang month, right when college football intensity has reached a fever pitch...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

You don't necessarily have to shorten the season. For example, you could start the season a week earlier, and finish a week later.

I think it be easier to start earlier then end later. Still difficult for both though. There have already been snow-related postponements in early April in Cleveland (and I'm sure other cities). The practical solution to that of course is to begin those teams on the road. The latter is tougher because you don't get to pre-determine where the World Series is. In 2007, there was snow the week before the WS in Colorado, didn't end up effecting the Series though. You got a tight window and that's why expanding the playoffs has I keep noting isn't as practical as it seems, although not impossible. Season began stateside April 4th this year(has begun earlier) and Game 7 of the World Series is scheduled for November 1. Not sure you want the WS going to November 8th.
@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

ESPN: Yu Darvish out of WBC

http://espn.go.com/d...aseball-classic

Again, if you are going to have this game, you might as well have your best players. I get players sitting out to "prepare for the season" and "health" reasons. Why would fans want to see anything less than the best?
@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

ESPN: Orioles left hander Wei-Yin Chen leaning toward skipping World Baseball Classic

http://www.baltimore...0,1667326.story

As an Orioles fan, I'm happy he's skipping. But same point as I made above.

I think this is going to effect pitchers more than hitters, given innings limits among other things.

In other news...

Meanwhile, Chen is currently living in Los Angeles and doesn’t plan on returning to Taiwan until mid-December. He will also have added responsibilities next year. Chen and his wife, Yi-Wen Tsai, are expecting their first child next week.

Pretty cool!
@levineps

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

What Orioles players will be invited to participate on WBC teams?

My guesses: Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Wieters (?)

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

What Orioles players will be invited to participate on WBC teams?

My guesses: Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Wieters (?)

In terms of first choices, thats a good guess. Considering Guthrie played last time, it wouldn't shock me if other veterans like Hardy, Markakis, Jim Johnson, and others got chosen.
@levineps

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,560 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hope none of our pitchers participate.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hope none of our pitchers participate.

Exactly part of the problem, I think that is every team's worry and why this event should be pretty much eliminated.
@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

CBS Sports: Shin-Soo Choo to skip World Baseball Classic to focus on upcoming season

http://www.cbssports...aseball-classic

Another player out of it.
@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

ESPN: Ichiro Suzuki won't play in 2013 WBC