#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Somehow I almost blew up my grill today.

I didn't think anything was lit...turned it all off(including propane tank)...when I turned it back on, there was an "explosion". No fire or anything but a load boom.

No idea how it happened and I still used it a few min later with no issues...but scared the shit out of me.

Oh man to have seen the look on your face when that happened.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Made a chicken, with potato bread stuffing, on my Weber w/ rotisserie kit last night.  Freaking awesome.

I love grilling, and have gotten super into charcoal over the last year or so.

Just saw this fancy contraption, too.  May have to invest in that!

• You Play to Win the Game, DuffMan and PatrickDougherty like this

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

I went deep sea fishing in the Florida Keys on Sunday.  We were allowed to bring what we caught to this local restaurant and they prepared it for us.  We had the greatest blackened grouper that I've ever tasted -- I need to learn to cook like this.

• Mackus likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I went deep sea fishing in the Florida Keys on Sunday.  We were allowed to bring what we caught to this local restaurant and they prepared it for us.  We had the greatest blackened grouper that I've ever tasted -- I need to learn to cook like this.

I did something similar in Key West a couple years ago.  We caught a lot of snapper and one grouper.  Took all the filets to Hogfish Tavern, and they cooked them 3 ways for us (fried, blackened, sauteed with herbs).  Was freaking incredible.

I bet the amazing freshness of the fish, over any particular blackening spice or cooking technique, was the main driver behind the phenomenal results.  Certainly helps to know how to cook fish properly, but using a fish you pulled out of the ocean just hours before is the biggest thing.

#45 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

When I grill Salmon for my wife I just put it right on the rack,  I don't even use foil or anything I keep it far away from the coals and use the indirect heat to cook it.  When it's ready it just flakes right off from the skin.

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Salmon on a cedar wood plank is awesome...haven't done that in a while.

• Markus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Been a little hit and miss so far.  I've made some pretty awesome steak.  Also overcooked some pork to the point that my son wouldn't eat it (and pork is one of about three foods that he eats).  It was pretty bad.

The last two times I've went to grill I've found that some birds had used it to make a nest.  Very annoying. 

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Been a little hit and miss so far.  I've made some pretty awesome steak.  Also overcooked some pork to the point that my son wouldn't eat it (and pork is one of about three foods that he eats).  It was pretty bad.

The last two times I've went to grill I've found that some birds had used it to make a nest.  Very annoying. 

RE: over and under cooking... trust your grill times. BUT, learn as you go. Every grill is different. You will learn the hot spots on your grill, etc. Keep at it.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I made some chicken for Mother's Day (at her request). Cut up a whole chicken, brined it with salt and some sugar, and just let it grill. I thought it would be a disaster, but it turned out really good. Ended up being the easiest part of the meal (other than the baked potatoes wrapped in foil and baked in the coals).

@DJ_McCann

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

KI

Been a little hit and miss so far. I've made some pretty awesome steak. Also overcooked some pork to the point that my son wouldn't eat it (and pork is one of about three foods that he eats). It was pretty bad.

The last two times I've went to grill I've found that some birds had used it to make a nest. Very annoying.

RE: over and under cooking... trust your grill times. BUT, learn as you go. Every grill is different. You will learn the hot spots on your grill, etc. Keep at it.
Thermometer!!! Only way to know for sure when your food is done to the level you want it cooked.

Buy a decent, $20 instant read. Will pay for itself with the first nice steak you avoid overcooking and ruining. Using a thermometer is the sign if a skilled grillmeister, not a novice one. Timing or even touch is a good way to get decently close, especially if you are experienced, but internal temp is the holy grail of grilling.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#51 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

I had my struggles with regular charcoal, chimneys and a regular grill.

Then I bought an egg-style grill at Lowe's for $300.  I use the lump charcoal, big hunks of soaked hickory, and I've made some of the best steaks, pork shoulders, chuck roasts, turkeys and pizzas you'd ever taste.  And I'm a grilling idiot.  Get one of those, and you'll love it.

#52 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

KI Thermometer!!! Only way to know for sure when your food is done to the level you want it cooked.

Buy a decent, $20 instant read. Will pay for itself with the first nice steak you avoid overcooking and ruining. Using a thermometer is the sign if a skilled grillmeister, not a novice one. Timing or even touch is a good way to get decently close, especially if you are experienced, but internal temp is the holy grail of grilling.

Caveat to this:  Don't check it every thirty seconds and punch a bunch of holes in the meat.

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I made my first burgers from scratch the other day..turned out well...maybe a little too much garlic but not bad at all.

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

I made my first burgers from scratch the other day..turned out well...maybe a little too much garlic but not bad at all.

Did you grind the meat yourself too? Serious question...cause you should mix in a little pork to get the fat content up.
@JeremyMStrain

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

Did you grind the meat yourself too? Serious question...cause you should mix in a little pork to get the fat content up.

No,I didn't go that far.

#56 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Good tip. I've always wanted to do that.

Not grilling, but I made my own hummus last week. Super easy and delicious, and one can of chickpeas makes about a week's worth of hummus (I eat it every day). Highly recommended. This recipe.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

No,I didn't go that far.

Next time you get ground meat to make burgers, grab a small thing of ground pork, maybe 20-25% pork mix, and mix it in. You'll thank me later.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this
@JeremyMStrain

#58 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I had my struggles with regular charcoal, chimneys and a regular grill.

Then I bought an egg-style grill at Lowe's for $300.  I use the lump charcoal, big hunks of soaked hickory, and I've made some of the best steaks, pork shoulders, chuck roasts, turkeys and pizzas you'd ever taste.  And I'm a grilling idiot.  Get one of those, and you'll love it.

Something like this?

I'd love to get a Big Green Egg, but my wife would murder me.

• tennOsfan likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Next time you get ground meat to make burgers, grab a small thing of ground pork, maybe 20-25% pork mix, and mix it in. You'll thank me later.

And use the same seasonings/spices?

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

And use the same seasonings/spices?

Yep. Won't affect seasoning or toppings at all, just helps with a nice juicy burger. Throw some colby-jack, bacon and a fried egg on there...despite being tragically unhealthy, it's delicious.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=