DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Charcoal may be easier than you think.

First, get yourself a nice Weber ketttle grill.  Either a Weber One Touch for $100 or a One Touch Gold for $150, which is a little nicer.

JNlLF7A.jpgUxVjKA2.jpg

Then get yourself a chimney starter for $10 or so.  You pour the charcoal into the top, and then crumple two pieces of newspaper and put it into the bottom.  No lighter fluid or anything else.   Light the newspaper and you'll have hot coals in 15 minutes.

5dxwj0w.jpg

That being said, I also have a propane grill and use them both.  The propane grill is nice because there is zero prep work.

Sammy,

I just use an electric starter with my charcoal, takes maybe 10 minutes to get going.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I find that charcoal still takes a good 20-30 mins to get going even with a chimney starter. Maybe I am not a pro with it yet but I had it go out on me a couple times when I used a starter and didnt let the top coals ash over.

Still, charcoal is the way to go if you've got about an hour to cook. Otherwise, use gas.

• SammyBirdland likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I think the biggest things are to let the grill get hot, don't overcook the beef, and be patient with chicken and ribs. Salt your steak. A lot of it is just trial and error. It takes some practice, but even the screw ups taste pretty good.

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Go online and look up marinades -- those are simply measuring and mixing.

Put meat on grill at proper temperature (this will also be online).

If you want to ensure it's cooked (the experts can tell) you can always use a meat thermometer.

DO NOT OVERCOOK.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#25 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I find that charcoal still takes a good 20-30 mins to get going even with a chimney starter. Maybe I am not a pro with it yet but I had it go out on me a couple times when I used a starter and didnt let the top coals ash over.

Still, charcoal is the way to go if you've got about an hour to cook. Otherwise, use gas.

If you watch the video, he dumps the coals out sooner than I would.  I tend to wait until they all start to ash, but he dumps them when it ashes about halfway up.     I guess this would be fine, since the less-lit coals would be underneath the embers.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#26 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Someone else mentioned veggies - you can always make a foil boat and throw the veggies in there with some balsamic vinegar to sauté or steam them on the grill.

Totally meant to mention this but just forgot.  Good call.

Also, here's a good way to test the doneness of meat without having to cut it open or stick a thermometer in it.  Though if you cook/grill enough, you'll have a general idea of how long it takes for any piece of meat to cook.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#27 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

This thread is easily the worst thing about NYC. I'm grilling my balls off the next two months.

@fuzydunlop

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

This thread is easily the worst thing about NYC. I'm grilling my balls off the next two months.

Yeah I guess I never thought about that, but it'd be pretty impossible to grill in NYC wouldn't it?

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yeah I guess I never thought about that, but it'd be pretty impossible to grill in NYC wouldn't it?

Nah all you need is a spot with a mini yard and a $13,000/month rent!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Nah all you need is a spot with a mini yard and a $13,000/month rent!

AKA, a law degree? ;)

#31 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

I could've but it's risky with the roof. Cerrano is right.

@fuzydunlop

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

The Weber grills don't make the food taste better...at least based on all the research I did.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

The Weber grills don't make the food taste better...at least based on all the research I did.

For me they are just a lot less hassle and well made.
  • Mackus likes this

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

They are made of a better material that last longer outside.

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Glenn, another thing thats real important is to trust your times. On my charcoal grill for a med-rare steak, its five minutes on each side, high heat. If you check it every other minute to make sure you're not burning it, your just letting heat out and you'll get rubbery meat. Basically, if your lookin youre not cookin.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Get two good thermometers. One instant read to check your meat temp (only way to know when its cooked like you want, all other methods are good guesses at best) and one for the surface of your grill, so you know at what temp you're actually cooking. The thermometer that comes with the grill is useless, even nice grills like Weber.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Much better at even cooking, too. Consistent temp across all burners.

My propane grill sucks, so I just use my charcoal grill now. Will definitely get a nice grill for my next propane, but I love my charcoal.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#38 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Thanks to everyone again.  This was very helpful and I've learned some good tips to go forward with.

MikeRandall, I definitely had learned that lesson already.  My first attempt I think I was opening the grill every minute or so.  And in my head I know that was a silly thing to do but just couldn't help it.

• Mike in STL likes this

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks to everyone again.  This was very helpful and I've learned some good tips to go forward with.

MikeRandall, I definitely had learned that lesson already.  My first attempt I think I was opening the grill every minute or so.  And in my head I know that was a silly thing to do but just couldn't help it.

No doubt. It's cliché, but grilling requires discipline.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Somehow I almost blew up my grill today.

I didn't think anything was lit...turned it all off(including propane tank)...when I turned it back on, there was an "explosion". No fire or anything but a load boom.

No idea how it happened and I still used it a few min later with no issues...but scared the shit out of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=