#42 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

Interesting article. Not sure I agree with the conclusion. Just not sure the O's can afford risking $17.2M to protect against a draft pick. Certainly they could do worse than having Matt back again next year.

But I think that Joseph isn't as bad, near as bad, hitting wise as some make him out to be. The only stretch where he played any consistent amount of time was when Matt hurt his foot. He had three straight multi hit games. Yes its pretty awful to go 160 at bats without and RBI but some of that also lies with the fact that the O's dont get baserunners much.

Curios to see how this shakes out. Not convinced the market for Matt is strong enough to get him to sign a multi year deal vs $17.2M for 2017?

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

But I think that Joseph isn't as bad, near as bad, hitting wise as some make him out to be. The only stretch where he played any consistent amount of time was when Matt hurt his foot. He had three straight multi hit games. Yes its pretty awful to go 160 at bats without and RBI but some of that also lies with the fact that the O's dont get baserunners much.

Last year I said I was afraid we're gonna pay Matt 3/50, we're just gonna do it one year at a time... you can look it up...

Caleb deserves a pass for this year... I urge anybody who thinks otherwise to see how they do after needing nut surgery... he took one for the team like nobody else... we know what he can do... if he plays 100-120 games, he'll do fine... 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Last year I said I was afraid we're gonna pay Matt 3/50, we're just gonna do it one year at a time... you can look it up...

Caleb deserves a pass for this year... I urge anybody who thinks otherwise to see how they do after needing nut surgery... he took one for the team like nobody else... we know what he can do... if he plays 100-120 games, he'll do fine... 

I'm willing to go into next season expecting Caleb to be the primary catcher to begin the year as a bridge to Sisco.  And I think he should be commended for coming back from his injury.  And I also agree that he has shown he can hit in the past so I'm not scared off by his horrific numbers this year.

But you can't pretend that his numbers took a dive down into the grotesque only after his injury.  He had a 182/239212/452 slash line in 71 PA pre-injury.  He had a 167/191/182/373 slash line in 70 PA after the injury.  He was pathetic at the plate from the very start this year, without any blame needing to be placed on the injury.  I do think it's fair to argue that he'd perform better with regular appearances or even that he'll perform better next year playing at the same exact irregularity simply because he's done it in the past and has shown he's at least capable of non-pitcheresque performance.  I think this year was a perfect storm of offensive ineptitude for Caleb.  Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm open to the idea of him being our Opening Day starting catcher next year.  That wouldn't necessarily represent a failed offseason approach to the catcher position.

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

I'm willing to go into next season expecting Caleb to be the primary catcher to begin the year as a bridge to Sisco. And I think he should be commended for coming back from his injury. And I also agree that he has shown he can hit in the past so I'm not scared off by his horrific numbers this year.

But you can't pretend that his numbers took a dive down into the grotesque only after his injury. He had a 182/239212/452 slash line in 71 PA pre-injury. He had a 167/191/182/373 slash line in 70 PA after the injury. He was pathetic at the plate from the very start this year, without any blame needing to be placed on the injury. I do think it's fair to argue that he'd perform better with regular appearances or even that he'll perform better next year playing at the same exact irregularity simply because he's done it in the past and has shown he's at least capable of non-pitcheresque performance. I think this year was a perfect storm of offensive ineptitude for Caleb. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm open to the idea of him being our Opening Day starting catcher next year. That wouldn't necessarily represent a failed offseason approach to the catcher position.

The injury thing is mainly something that pisses me off about people who wanna dump him or say he can't do more than be a lame back-up...

He needs to play regularly... but he can't play all the time either... he's got a sweet spot... as best I can tell, it's 100-120 games...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm not convinced that he won't be able to figure out how to hit adequately despite infrequent opportunities.  I know we've seen him hit well enough for a catcher over long stretches where he was the primary guy and less well when he's been the clear backup or even in a split-time situation.  But it's not like that was a ton of time in either case even considering how awful this year was. 

He's in big trouble if he needs to play 100+ games in order to have over a 600 OPS.  Because he's not good enough when getting that regular time to really be an asset.  He won't kill you if he can be in the 650-675 range, but you'd be looking for an upgrade.  But, if he can hit in the low to mid 600s as an infrequent backup, that is valuable. 

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

He can catch, so that helps.

Expecting anything with the bat is expecting too much.

Whatever he does offensively is a bonus.

I am not surprised that he played more at times and was exposed offensively.  That was one of my concerns about him.

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

He can catch, so that helps.

Expecting anything with the bat is expecting too much.

Whatever he does offensively is a bonus.

I am not surprised that he played more at times and was exposed offensively.  That was one of my concerns about him.

Huh?  When he played regularly, he hit OK.  In the minors, his D was his weakness, not his bat.   This season was an outlier.  When he has a regular job he does fine until he gets worn down.

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

FanGraphs: Caleb Joseph on the Maturation Process

#50 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

1) Great interview, sounds like a future manager.

2) Not really trying to leak in the other thread, but this is the type of stuff that I'd suggest is valued by (some) FOs, because they start to understand how to get the most out of their team, especially the younger guys with a big learning curve (the 'maturation').  They discussed on MLB Radio a number of times that it was no accident that Aaron Judge's locker is (was?) beside Matt Holiday.  You heard a lot of this during the WBC too about Carlos Beltran.  How the younger player gravitated towards him and his willingness to mentor.

Caleb certainly isn't getting the press that others may get in these areas, but his recognition of and involvement in that process is interesting.

3) Please get an RBI.  Note to Buck: next time there's a guy on 3B and less than 2 outs, PH Caleb.

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

....and can't we get a shout out to Caleb Joseph?

Ends the longest rbi-less streak in MLB.  At least something good happened in the 4-12 loss.

#52 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

Good for him. 

I wonder what it was like for pitchers...I bet no one wanted to be the one who ended Caleb's streak. Yet it's Tommy Layne who was pitching for Boston the last time Joseph had an RBI.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

Good for him. 

I wonder what it was like for pitchers...I bet no one wanted to be the one who ended Caleb's streak. Yet it's Tommy Layne who was pitching for Boston the last time Joseph had an RBI.

My guess is most of the pitcher's who threw him a pitch during the "streak" had no idea it was going on.  Who pays attention to the last time a team's backup catcher got an RBI?  If the RBI instead came on a single at home, and he got a huge ovation from the home crowd, I think Caleb would have to explain to the perplexed first baseman what was happening.

I think it's interesting to Orioles fans because we follow the team closely.  And it's interesting to national baseball writers as an oddity.  Opposing broadcasters probably mention it when Caleb comes up to bat, especially with RISP.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it never gets mentioned in opposing scouting reports.

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

My guess is most of the pitcher's who threw him a pitch during the "streak" had no idea it was going on.  Who pays attention to the last time a team's backup catcher got an RBI?  If the RBI instead came on a single at home, and he got a huge ovation from the home crowd, I think Caleb would have to explain to the perplexed first baseman what was happening.

I think it's interesting to Orioles fans because we follow the team closely.  And it's interesting to national baseball writers as an oddity.  Opposing broadcasters probably mention it when Caleb comes up to bat, especially with RISP.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it never gets mentioned in opposing scouting reports.

You're probably right but I would bet at least one person in the dugout of every team, especially in the AL East, knew that it had been a while since he'd gotten an RBI. Probably a manager or coach at least.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#55 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

I bet other teams were way more aware of his tragic nut injury than they were of his ribbie drought...

#56 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

Time for Caleb to begin what I am sure will be a good coaching career. We need to find a back-up catcher and it shouldn't be too hard to improve upon Caleb's offensive output.

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Susac off to a very good start in AAA

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

I think Caleb does exactly what the O's need him to do... if he could hit as a part-timer then he'd get a full-time job and cost a fortune...

I remember how folks thought Flash was either overrated or else was good in his role but too expensive... are we glad he's not here now?  No, we are not.  If we get some scrub to replace Caleb, that tells me that the bosses are looking at O numbers and ignoring how much the P's like pitching to him... and let's face it, the P's need all the help they can get

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#59 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

Optioned to Norfolk; Andrew Susac added to roster.

#60 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Optioned to Norfolk; Andrew Susac added to roster.

Thank God. Caleb is a nice guy but he’s not a ML catcher at this point

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=