#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Thank God. Caleb is a nice guy but he’s not a ML catcher at this point

He'll be a good coach one day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:13 AM

Joseph is having a nice run. Maybe that trip to the minors woke him up a little. 

#63 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

He's quietly having a horrible year at the plate - his OPS is only 30 points higher than Davis's.

#64 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

He shouldn't be on the team next year, but I imagine he will be the OD starter.

He's just not a ML player. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#65 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

I've generally been a fan. Great story. Great guy. That said I'm getting tired of watching him, Like a lot of things here, maybe its time for a change. I really can't see where he's dong much to help the pitching staff. Seemed like a decent framer at one point, but I'm not seeing it now. Not seeing a good game caller either. Continually setting up off the plate and watching pitchers throw balls has begun to annoy me as well. We could probably pay Winnie the Pooh a fraction of his salary to be as good, maybe better  or just give somebody who can hit and catch, maybe Susac (Audret Perez or whoever) a shot next year if Sisco isn't ready. 

#66 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Would Wynns be any worse? Not that Joseph is expensive but you could save a few bucks. 

Maybe they're playing the long game because I could see him getting into coaching.

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

He's a backup being asked to start.

Wynns is also.  If he can hit enough, I think he's likely a worse bat than Caleb.

Sisco is the only catcher in the organization who might be able to hit enough to start.  But of course he's got major questions about his defense.  And minor questions (at least) about his offense.

If it mattered, I'd be fine with non-tendering Joseph and giving Wynns his 40-man spot.  But I think we can carry all 3 guys next year, 2 on the roster, the other down in Norfolk.  The $1.75-2M Joseph will make next year isn't a concern for me.

#68 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

Here's the question: Is Joseph helping? I don't see it, at least not anymore.

I doubt Wynns will hit much but maybe his defense will actually help. Augment him with an Auderey Perez or several Audrey Perez's from the minors. It will be cheaper, they will be easily disposable, and there are plenty of them that don't seem to be much different than CJ.

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

I haven't seen enough of Wynns (I'm aware of his reputation for sterling defense), but I think Joseph has been excellent defensively in the past.  Maybe he's slipping (he's getting old) and going downhill fast, I haven't watched enough recently to know.  I doubt there is any significant difference between Wynns and Joseph. 

I don't really see the reason we need to compare the two.  We've got room for both.  Caleb isn't getting paid so much that I think we need to get crazy over his salary.  He is out of options (I think), but I'm confident he'd make it through waivers next year if we decide we want to send him down, so that's kind of a moot point.

Joseph, Wynns, and Sisco as the catchers on the 40-man is a fine point to head into the offseason at, IMO.  Start Sisco at AAA unless he has a torrid ST.  Wynns and Joseph share the job until then. 

#70 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

Roch wrote a piece about those guys who will be retained, and those who won't. He considers CJ a non-tender. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#71 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:20 PM

Non-tendered, officially a free agent.

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

Good luck Caleb.  Right move to non tender, but the franchise loses a class gentleman.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#73 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:11 AM

Not surprised. Nice story and I have been a fan, but I don't see where he's done much for us for awhile now. I think catcher is a position the analytics guys will try and develop/expand/exploit/integrate heavily in the future (pitch sequencing/defensive positioning/framing/development etc) . There  are a lot of possibilities in this area and they have probably don as much work as anybody already on it. I myself have not viewed it as very tangible area in the past. It's always been debatable how much the C defense can influence events/outcomes. Instead of the typical ad-hoc manager and coach commentary/analysis/strategies I'm expecting committed resources and a data driven approach in this area. 

• Mike B likes this

#74 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

Caleb Joseph has latched on with a new team. He signed a 1-year deal with the D-backs today.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#75 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

Good for Caleb. he is a decent back up catcher.  I always pull for the guys that never give up.  That is Caleb.

Hell the man gave up a nut for the franchise, so have to wish him,  the best.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=