#61 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

What I hate about Foot's is, when it's a bust, they'll say something like "But wait!  X could happen if Y and Z also happen!"

They're trying to generate hype and clicks because nobody cares about the weather when it's 50 and clear.

Nature of the business, unfortunately. It goes all the way from Foot's drawing you in with the worst-case scenario to the Weather Channel independently naming storms so that whoever hears about and searches for "Winter Storm Juno" coverage will be directed their way.

@DJ_McCann

#62 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I don't watch The Weather Channel anymore - I was almost swayed to check things out by the return of Dave Schwartz, but the channel it is under the auspices of that giant umbrella corporation from which, due to a lack of viable competition, I also get overpriced cable and Internet services, is just too much bull for me to watch. It's a shame, as many good meteorologists were done a great disservice in that transition, and for a handful of years prior.

Berk and Foot's don't really grab much attention from me, either. NWS is my main source, sometimes supplemented with a few others in case I want multiple opinions. Heck, even in simple online forecast pages TWC is pretty useless...I usually find them to be the most off.

Glad to have pretty much nothing doing as far as this storm goes. Last year I didn't get enough good walks in during the winter, and while this year is little different, I could go without a stack of snow. Give me a little rain for replenishing the water table, instead.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Teachers on Facebook talking about snow closures tilt me.

Why is that?

And I haven't had any closures to celebrate yet, just delays.

#64 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Why is that?

And I haven't had any closures to celebrate yet, just delays.

They just have like these big group convos on posts about how excited they are and about how school might close etc etc.

It just tilts me for some reason.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#65 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

They just have like these big group convos on posts about how excited they are and about how school might close etc etc.

The worst is when teachers start complaining that they have to go back to school after having 2+ months off...and the way they do it, it's as if we should feel sorry for them or something.

#66 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

The worst is when teachers start complaining that they have to go back to school after having 2+ months off...and the way they do it, it's as if we should feel sorry for them or something.

Teaching is a fucking grind. I've never felt a sense of dread or pit in my stomach like those Sunday nights, or days right before the end of a break. They really truly need those two months off, otherwise our education system would be even more starved for quality individuals. I personally wouldn't be a teacher again.
  • mweb08, Hooded Viper and KWebz like this

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Its not like they are being paid for those 2 months. Most of them have to go get complete crap job for the summer just to scrape by.
@JeremyMStrain

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

Teaching is a fucking grind. I've never felt a sense of dread or pit in my stomach like those Sunday nights, or days right before the end of a break. They really truly need those two months off, otherwise our education system would be even more starved for quality individuals. I personally wouldn't be a teacher again.

Yeah, a lot of people don't really get how much of a grind it can be even with all the days off. Not that I expect them to.

#69 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

At the same time most teachers don't have other jobs so they have no comparison to how much of a grind other jobs can be. They're the only profession I know that demands so much sympathy for others because of what they so.

That said I could never deal with kids all day but these people chose this profession right?

@bopper33

#70 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

My Mother and my wife are teachers, and people that disrespect teachers and what they do really piss me off. i've seen how hard they work for very very little appreciation and salary for that matter. i have more respect for teachers than pretty mch every other profession

When I think about what I make doing what i do, and what my wife makes considering how hard she works, it's beyond absurd. 

end of rant. 

• mweb08 and KWebz like this
@beginthebegin71

#71 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Teachers deserve 2 months off, just as a sanity break.  It should be 3 months.   And they should get paid for it, which they don't.  

We need some reason to attract great people to that profession.  Back in the olden days, we got the nation's smartest, most capable women because society wouldn't let them do other things.  Teaching was about the only place they could run something, a woman's classroom was her castle.  But now, teaching has to compete.  If you want great people to do it without making a fortune, you need to give them some kind of bennie they can't get elsewhere... for example, 3 months off every summer and a good pension....

• Icterus galbula likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

At the same time most teachers don't have other jobs so they have no comparison to how much of a grind other jobs can be. They're the only profession I know that demands so much sympathy for others because of what they so.

That said I could never deal with kids all day but these people chose this profession right?

I'm not complaining. I'm also not asking for sympathy.

I also do have a comparison to other jobs for whatever that's worth.

But there is a segment of the population (and I don't know if anyone on here is included) that thinks teachers get too much time off and/or are actually overpaid. Those people don't know what they're talking about IMO. 

• JeremyStrain and Icterus galbula like this

#73 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

As for snow, I think it should snow once per year.  For a week.  At Christmas.  Then as soon as it gets ugly, with gray slush and footprints everywhere, it should melt in a hurry... and stay gone until the next year.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#74 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

I'm not complaining. I'm also not asking for sympathy.

I also do have a comparison to other jobs for whatever that's worth.

But there is a segment of the population (and I don't know if anyone on here is included) that thinks teachers get too much time off and/or are actually overpaid. Those people don't know what they're talking about IMO. 

Yea I disagree with those two viewpoints for sure.

@bopper33

#75 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Back to the weather, they just showed 5th Ave in NYC on the news. At 630 on a Monday it was a ghost town. Spooky but also a little aesthetically pleasing.

@bopper33

#76 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Just hope I95 will be manageable after work tomorrow to get to Verizon Center.

#77 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

The teacher bashing is mainly a side effect of big-money union bashing and the big-money push to privatize public education.  Actual teachers are collateral damage in that ideology-and-profit driven push.

Plus, some parents who don't spend enough time to make sure their kids do their homework and know how to act right blame teachers for their own shortcomings.  That happens a lot more when both parents work because both parents come home from work with their energy shot.

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

The teacher bashing is mainly a side effect of big-money union bashing and the big-money push to privatize public education.  Actual teachers are collateral damage in that ideology-and-profit driven push.

Plus, some parents who don't spend enough time to make sure their kids do their homework and know how to act right blame teachers for their own shortcomings.  That happens a lot more when both parents work because both parents come home from work with their energy shot.

Any topic you aren't 100% cynical about? Thoughts on marshmallows?

@bopper33

#79 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Any topic you aren't 100% cynical about? Thoughts on marshmallows?

"USA!"  "USA!"

Is that better?

#80 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

"USA!"  "USA!"

Is that better?

No but not everyone is out to get you. Promise.

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=