742 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

No but not everyone is out to get you. Promise.

Oh, I don't think they are.  But big money is out to get any-and-all unions, and they do wanna privatize public education so they can skim profit from that too while doing a crummy job.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Oh, I don't think they are.  But big money is out to get any-and-all unions, and they do wanna privatize public education so they can skim profit from that too while doing a crummy job.

You mistrust most people huh.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#83 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

The teacher bashing is mainly a side effect of big-money union bashing and the big-money push to privatize public education.  Actual teachers are collateral damage in that ideology-and-profit driven push.

Plus, some parents who don't spend enough time to make sure their kids do their homework and know how to act right blame teachers for their own shortcomings.  That happens a lot more when both parents work because both parents come home from work with their energy shot.

Parents have more to do with a kid's education than any set of teachers.  If parents don't take the time to read every day to their small kid and instill a love for learning and reading as they grow, the best teachers in the world won't make them Ivy Leaguers.  Too many people today are having kids without any regard for proper nurturing.

But, back to our regular programming -- how's the weather?

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

I spent a month training for my job last year. These aren't kids, and I enjoy training/teaching... but it was freaking exhausting. You've gotta be on your a-game everyday, all day. It's not like most jobs where you can eff off on your phone here and there and take long lunch breaks. It's exhausting and you take your work home with you too in most cases.
  • mweb08 likes this

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

I spent a month training for my job last year. These aren't kids, and I enjoy training/teaching... but it was freaking exhausting. You've gotta be on your a-game everyday, all day. It's not like most jobs where you can eff off on your phone here and there and take long lunch breaks. It's exhausting and you take your work home with you too in most cases.

Yeah, there is not much down time. We do get a planning period, but if much of that isn't spent working, it will just result in more work to be done at home. I've put in some 55+ hour weeks so far this year. But on the other side, we do get a lot of time off. Then again, we don't get paid tremendously well. And so on and so forth.

#86 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

Men Promise Brooklyn Women 8 to 12 Inches, Deliver 4.3

@DJ_McCann

#87 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

My Mother and my wife are teachers, and people that disrespect teachers and what they do really piss me off. i've seen how hard they work for very very little appreciation and salary for that matter. i have more respect for teachers than pretty mch every other profession

My wife is a preschool teacher. That means while she arguably has to do less prep work (although she does plan lessons and write status reports) than a standard teacher, she also gets paid a fraction of what K-12 teachers receive while receiving pretty much no benefits.

I feel like they have it worse than normal teachers. But what do I know?

#88 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

YEa, I am going to say that plenty of jobs have the grind of teachers...Plus, many jobs require way more hours and, of course, all year round.

I give a lot  more credit to someone like Mike than most teachers though.  Teaching at an inner city high school is really tough.  That's on a different level IMO.

And btw, since unions were brought up...My issue is pretty simple.  There are a lot of really shitty teachers and those teachers should be held accountable and if that means getting fired, so be it.  People do shitty work all the time and get fired, why shouldn't teachers?

#89 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

YEa, I am going to say that plenty of jobs have the grind of teachers...Plus, many jobs require way more hours and, of course, all year round.

I give a lot  more credit to someone like Mike than most teachers though.  Teaching at an inner city high school is really tough.  That's on a different level IMO.

And btw, since unions were brought up...My issue is pretty simple.  There are a lot of really shitty teachers and those teachers should be held accountable and if that means getting fired, so be it.  People do shitty work all the time and get fired, why shouldn't teachers?

It still doesn't balance, cause there are way more shitty parents than shitty teachers. It's just easier to blame the teacher when your kid is a d-bag.

Also, plenty of people don't get fired through no fault of their own, which is what you would be doing if you are going to fire a teacher because kids don't perform.

To give it a baseball analogy, that's firing Buck Showalter because David Lough doesn't win the MVP award.

@JeremyMStrain

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

You underestimate the grind, and a lot of the jobs with more hours also pay significantly more. <br /><br />As for unions, well they do a lot of good overall, but they aren't perfect. And plenty of people do poor jobs without union protection and keep those jobs. There's good and bad workers regardless of the industry and unions.

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

It still doesn't balance, cause there are way more shitty parents than shitty teachers. It's just easier to blame the teacher when your kid is a d-bag.

Also, plenty of people don't get fired through no fault of their own, which is what you would be doing if you are going to fire a teacher because kids don't perform.

To give it a baseball analogy, that's firing Buck Showalter because David Lough doesn't win the MVP award.

Oh, I totally agree about the parents.  Just awful there.

#92 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

You underestimate the grind, and a lot of the jobs with more hours also pay significantly more. <br /><br />As for unions, well they do a lot of good overall, but they aren't perfect. And plenty of people do poor jobs without union protection and keep those jobs. There's good and bad workers regardless of the industry and unions.

Unions do some good...I don't disagree.

I just think the bad outweighs the good...at least in the big picture.  For those in the unions, they are fantastic, no doubt.

And im not underestimating the grind...I am just saying its not worse than many professions and those jobs don't get off boat loads of holidays and have a 2 month break.  You can say most jobs deserve those same breaks and maybe that would be a good thing?

#93 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

What are you basing your assessment of the grind off of? And when we say grind, we're talking about during the school year. That time off is substantial, but it's also mostly bunched together and it's factored into the pay.<br />

#94 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

What are you basing your assessment of the grind off of? And when we say grind, we're talking about during the school year. That time off is substantial, but it's also mostly bunched together and it's factored into the pay.<br />

So what if it's bunched together?

Most people are lucky to have off more than 2 weeks a year.

#95 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

Have you ever lived with a teacher? 

I've lived with one literally all 43 years of my life, and can assure you that I've not seen "many jobs" that require "way more hours". 

@beginthebegin71

#96 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

What are you basing your assessment of the grind off of? And when we say grind, we're talking about during the school year. That time off is substantial, but it's also mostly bunched together and it's factored into the pay.

So what if it's bunched together?

Most people are lucky to have off more than 2 weeks a year.

And again, the pay reflects that and the so what is obvious, the grind is the school year. So again, what are you basing your thoughts on that it's not much of a grind?

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

Have you ever lived with a teacher?

I've lived with one literally all 43 years of my life, and can assure you that I've not seen "many jobs" that require "way more hours".

No but I know many teachers.

And it's not as hard as it used to be. Computers make it easier. They get way more professional days.

People who run and own their own businesses, accountants, lawyers, doctors, etc...it goes on and on for those who work more hours and/or jet have a more difficult job.

Now, I will say it depends on who and where you are teaching. That makes a big difference.

My guess is Mike and Kelly have a high stress job than Matt's wife does and that absolutely is part of the equation.

I'm not saying teachers don't have it tough and the good ones are vastly underpaid. It's criminal how teachers are treated pay wise..at least the good ones.

But I'm also not willing to say they have it harder than many jobs and I'm not willing to say they need 3 months worth of off days to cope with the stress. If that's the case, several jobs should get the same benefit.

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

And again, the pay reflects that and the so what is obvious, the grind is the school year. So again, what are you basing your thoughts on that it's not much of a grind?

I never said it's not much of a grind. I'm saying the grind isn't so much that you guys should get All those days off and other jobs shouldn't.

#99 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

The firing teachers thing is a conundrum. In today's world, everything has to be standardized and consistent from an HR perspective... even in an at-will state such at Maryland, you are still opening up yourself to litigation by terminating an employee in a manner that was inconsistent with how you've let people go in the past (or not let people go).

Teaching, of all things, is not something that can really be evaluated in a standardized way. It really can't. Parenting, the collective group of students, the unique budgetary concerns of each school, etc. There are soooooo many factors that go into a class room's performance, how can you possibly be consistent when evaluating a teacher's performance? I'm honestly at a loss...

BUT, there ARE bad teachers... I'm sure of it. Because there's bad apples in every cart, that's just human nature. How to assess whether or not a teacher is bad is what I'm unsure of.

• mweb08 likes this

#100 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

No but I know many teachers.

And it's not as hard as it used to be. Computers make it easier. They get way more professional days.

People who run and own their own businesses, accountants, lawyers, doctors, etc...it goes on and on for those who work more hours and/or jet have a more difficult job.

Now, I will say it depends on who and where you are teaching. That makes a big difference.

My guess is Mike and Kelly have a high stress job than Matt's wife does and that absolutely is part of the equation.

I'm not saying teachers don't have it tough and the good ones are vastly underpaid. It's criminal how teachers are treated pay wise..at least the good ones.

But I'm also not willing to say they have it harder than many jobs and I'm not willing to say they need 3 months worth of off days to cope with the stress. If that's the case, several jobs should get the same benefit.

Gotcha. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=